Airliner possibly shot down over Ukraine

Getting on for 300 fatalities I would suspect if the reports are accurate. Terrible news :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-28354787

Looks like Malaysia flight has been lost - question is are the reports of a SAM being involved accurate.

Getting on for 300 fatalities I would suspect if the reports are accurate. Terrible news :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-28354787

Looks like Malaysia flight has been lost - question is are the reports of a SAM being involved accurate.

I sincerely hope not. I read a report that the aircraft was at 10,000 feet - is that feasible for a SAM?

I sincerely hope not. I read a report that the aircraft was at 10,000 feet - is that feasible for a SAM?

Undoubtedly. Remember Gary Powers was shot down in his U2 spy-plane at 70 thousand feet or over, by the Soviets in 1960.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

Dreadful news, likely to be a lot of my compatriots on board as well. I genuinely hope it was an accident and not an attack by the separatists.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/17/malaysia-airlines-mh17-passenger-jet-crashes-ukraine-near-russian-border_n_5595450.html?1405610947

In the comments there's a link to a message from the Ukrainian Rebels reporting a successful strike (allegedly).

http://vk.com/strelkov_info?w=wall-57424472_7256

Shocking news,what is this world coming to?the news is saying Russian terrorists in Ukrane,they will say they didn't do it.

Easily - and it would have been more like 10,000m I expect.

The question to ask is would the pro russian rebels have access to such missiles and I would suspect it's possible the USSR built a lot of them for use against high flying B52s

---------- Post added 17-07-2014 at 17:50 ----------

Dreadful news, likely to be a lot of my compatriots on board as well. I genuinely hope it was an accident and not an attack by the separatists.

IF it was an attack then article 5 of NATO is something to consider.... this could get messy very fast.

RUSSIAN Rebels claim to have shot it down..

RIP MH17

Edited by Mozilla

Just been on BBC that it was cruising at 30,000ft lots of speculation about being shot down, this follows on the heels of MH370 that disappeared not so long back so very sad.

Just said it could be a surface to air missile I assume this is a SAM?

Pete

RUSSIAN Rebels claim to have shot it down..

RIP MH17

I was wrong what kind of people lay claim to this kind of act.

Easily - and it would have been more like 10,000m I expect.

The question to ask is would the pro russian rebels have access to such missiles and I would suspect it's possible the USSR built a lot of them for use against high flying B52s

---------- Post added 17-07-2014 at 17:50 ----------

IF it was an attack then article 5 of NATO is something to consider.... this could get messy very fast.

Yes, you're quite right - I think I misread the original report.

---------- Post added 17-07-2014 at 18:20 ----------

This is 295 lives we're talking about. Stop being an idiot. :roll:

Seconded...