Rotherham's Green bins-will you pay?

A household of 6 would still have one bin to empty - only one house for the fire brigade to attend to, for example.

So do they really make 6 times the demand on Local Authority services?

I'd suspect a household of 6 would have more rubbish in the one bin than a household of 2...

I'd suspect a household of 6 would have more rubbish in the one bin than a household of 2...

Perhaps - but it is only going to cost the same as emptying a bin for a household of 2.

But there's more cost in disposing of waste in landfill for six...

Perhaps - but it is only going to cost the same as emptying a bin for a household of 2.

If councils are charged by weight at landfill then the bin from the family of 6 will cost more to dispose of than the other one...

So it would be pretty difficult to calculate accurate local authority bills based on actual service usage.

I have done the odd tip run for £15/£20, is it still domestic rubbish? Some people are just too busy/lazy.

If the waste itself is domestic waste, a bed or some garden waste.

Our council £35 for the green bin and £50/year for a fortnightly collection.

My tip is 5 miles away.

Edited by davyboy

So it would be pretty difficult to calculate accurate local authority bills based on actual service usage.

Divide the amount of council tax paid by the number of people in the local authority?That's one basic way..it could be fine tuned I suppose as well but it'd be a start...hypothetically speaking...

We have a small garden, my husband took 9 bags of hedge trimmings to the tip last week. Without a car, the bags would have gone in the black bin over a period of time.

We used the green bag service before it was stopped, it was adequate for small gardens. Our children live in different local authority areas. Both have brown/green bins for garden waste at no charge. One can also put all recyclables into a single bin, meaning a lot less goes to landfill.

I consider under £50 a year a very cheap alternative to loading up my car with smelly greenery, driving to a council tip, queueing to enter, lugging it to the correct skip, and then driving back and fumigating my car, it gets a 10 from me. :thumbsup:

I consider It a total rip off given obscene amount of council tax and rates charged.

I consider It a total rip off given obscene amount of council tax and rates charged.

Government funding to local councils has been cut by 50% in recent years. The whole recyling and waste disposal is complex, so I dont think it could be a seperate bill.