Which was the best pub that closed in Sheffield and why?

got to be the queens , just off saville street, under rose and john, was a fab pub and some right charachters in there, not the bad ones but the good ones

'Queens' ? just off Saville Street ?

---------- Post added 13-09-2017 at 22:22 ----------

The Athol Hotel, Charles Street/Cross Burgess Street, Place resembled a wild west saloon with open staircase (architecture not customers) it was on three levels the men's toilets being on the upper floor and they sold Newcastle Brown on draught. Closed around Sept.1965.

'Queens' ? just off Saville Street ?

It was on Attercliffe Road. Had many a Saturday night lock-in late 80s. The building is still there but been derelict for years.

Ah yes Jim, the Queens at Attercliffe Road and Shirland Lane, just below 'Banner's'. The Saville Street bit through me off.

For me it was The Cannon. I could buy cigarettes, perfume, razors, aftershave and much much more at less than the price in the shops from there!

You could even order something from certain customers and within half an hour they had been to their supplier and got it for you at a huge discount price! Even Wilkinsons could not compete on price.:)

Haha! Their supplier.:hihi:

I frequented the Cannon a lot in the 80s before a pub crawl and recall my mate ordering 2 owls shirts, and within 1 hour he had them at a very good price.

Haha! Their supplier.:hihi:

I frequented the Cannon a lot in the 80s before a pub crawl and recall my mate ordering 2 owls shirts, and within 1 hour he had them at a very good price.

It wasn't just the Cannon, you could get cheap stuff from all the pubs around that part of town, Brunswick, Bull and Mouth, Norfolk ,Rotherham house etc. Once approached by a shady character in the Kings Arms at the top of Commercial St. He took his jacket off and he had a load of watches strung up both forearms LOL

It wasn't just the Cannon, you could get cheap stuff from all the pubs around that part of town, Brunswick, Bull and Mouth, Norfolk ,Rotherham house etc. Once approached by a shady character in the Kings Arms at the top of Commercial St. He took his jacket off and he had a load of watches strung up both forearms LOL

Was his name H.Samuel ?

It was on Attercliffe Road. Had many a Saturday night lock-in late 80s. The building is still there but been derelict for years.

Well an Attercliffe lock-in at the Queen's would be better than the old Whitworth Lane.

Well an Attercliffe lock-in at the Queen's would be better than the old Whitworth Lane.

Give me a clue.

Ah, got it. Cop shop. :hihi:

Edited by Jim Hardie