Post Office Worker is attacked while doing her job.

So a Post Office Worker is attacked by someone with a string of convictions whilst just doing her job. Despite all these convictions this individual has been given another chance. Why doesnt the judicial system protect members of the public?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/drunken-customer-attacked-sheffield-post-office-worker-when-she-refused-to-serve-him-1-9403813

So a Post Office Worker is attacked by someone with a string of convictions whilst just doing her job. Despite all these convictions this individual has been given another chance. Why doesnt the judicial system protect members of the public?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/drunken-customer-attacked-sheffield-post-office-worker-when-she-refused-to-serve-him-1-9403813

Perhaps people like him should be sent to Rampton?

Perhaps people like him should be sent to Rampton?

I agree!!!

I agree what angers me is they give him another chance. What makes them think this time will be any different to every other time. They are technically stupid. As definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

What would be the likely outcomes of other sentencing options that are available? Lock up a paranoid schizophrenic for a number of months in a jail that has no capability to address the underlying mental health issues? Will that worsen the issues and make the man a greater threat upon release?

I'd prefer to see residential homes in remote countryside areas where people with such conditions can live and have better outcomes than entering a cycle of incidents that leave them in and out of jail.

its a total disgrace that this can happen and what seems no sentence for the crime

The crime has not been committed by one person but the individual AND the support network that should be in place including the justice system. Some people say that it is the individuals fault when something happens as it is their choice, but a PS isn't acting out of choice.

The crime has not been committed by one person but the individual AND the support network that should be in place including the justice system. Some people say that it is the individuals fault when something happens as it is their choice, but a PS isn't acting out of choice.

Maybe you could take the oxygen waster in as a house guest. I'd prefer to deprive the "person" concerned of oxygen.

yes the justice system has let people down. The woman at the post office for a start. How many chances does this moron get.

On the face of it, I'd also agree he should have gone to prison. I'm also annoyed when you see these Police Camera type programmes and the offenders get little to no punishment.

In this case the judge has ordered him to do a re-habilitation program, I assume he has mental or drink issues. Maybe that's a better solution than jailing him, to stop heim re-offending?? He obviously needs to get his life sorted out, punish him or fix his problem?? I guess we can't know without more detail.

Protect the members of the public you say?

“To help you get the help you need, which might, in fact be the best way of protecting the public, I’m not going to send you to prison today.”

The magistrate is clearly aware of the need to protect the members of the public and thinks this is the best way to do it.

---------- Post added 23-10-2018 at 10:44 ----------

Maybe you could take the oxygen waster in as a house guest. I'd prefer to deprive the "person" concerned of oxygen.

So you'd like to kill mentally ill people. Duly noted.

---------- Post added 23-10-2018 at 10:45 ----------

yes the justice system has let people down. The woman at the post office for a start. How many chances does this moron get.

MENTALLY ILL Paranoid Schizophrenic.

Not "moron".

He needs treatment, not jail.

He needs treatment yes, and also, he should not allowed to be in a position to harm innocent members of the public, while he has a disposition to do so. Some kind of confinement, treatment and monitoring, I would think would be a no brainier, the issue is, how much is it all going to cost? Not just for this one individual, but for others in a similar position...