Really really obscure Sheffield bands

Toxic toys , early.80s hardcore punk and gong/ here and now influenced band can't remember there name but members included mat colley, Steve ........... and Dave edley

Great times. Any of them.on here might remember JUD AND JEFF.

Does anybody know the story about The Fighting Tikkas?

Back in the day, this guy Tikka ran a sort of anarchist commune round the corner from the Hannover on Holberry Gardens (the old Havelock Square). He was supposedly a very violent man and a regular in the pub.

One of the other regulars used to post fake gig listings to the NME based on the characters who drank in the place. The Fighting Tikkas regularly "appeared", Vince Tait has already been mentioned, he was in and out of prison regularly. Another was "Bob Gilpin's Inheritance". Bob was a real person who frequented the Hanover and had a large sum of money left to him in a will.

At weekends, packs of students would turn up for these gigs, much to the bewilderment of the two little old ladies who ran the place.

Edited by VideoPro

I played and sang (badly!) in a band in the mid seventies with the atrocious name of 'Ichthus' !!!! The Old Harrow, Broadfield, Staniforth arms, Monsal head hotel etc etc. Had a really cracking guitarist called Nick Fletcher who I believe teaches guitar these days. Sure a lot of places did'nt want to know because of the s**t name!.

the name may have been dubious, but your singing wasn't that bad as I recall.

Nick is still teaching guitar, saw Lynsey at Gary Chappell's party, she's not changed a bit. they have two daughters and have been together ever since 'she switched sides' as Gary put it. I'd love a copy of the photographs if you have any. I'm sure people don't believe me when I say I had long hair, and i've nothing from that era.

good to hear you're still around Mick. I've some great memories of those days. Not least of all your Ford Cortina 1600E, Judith and Pamela Whateley, walking home in the snow after work one evening, calling in every pub on the way, and I noticed in another post Kath Elshaw! I fancied her something rotten

Back in the day, this guy Tikka ran a sort of anarchist commune round the corner from the Hannover on Holberry Gardens (the old Havelock Square). He was supposedly a very violent man and a regular in the pub.

One of the other regulars used to post fake gig listings to the NME based on the characters who drank in the place. The Fighting Tikkas regularly "appeared", Vince Tait has already been mentioned, he was in and out of prison regularly. Another was "Bob Gilpin's Inheritance". Bob was a real person who frequented the Hanover and had a large sum of money left to him in a will.

At weekends, packs of students would turn up for these gigs, much to the bewilderment of the two little old ladies who ran the place.

Sorry VidePro, i've only just noticed your reply. I always wondered what was behind those fictional bands. Thanks for the info.

the name may have been dubious, but your singing wasn't that bad as I recall.

Nick is still teaching guitar, saw Lynsey at Gary Chappell's party, she's not changed a bit. they have two daughters and have been together ever since 'she switched sides' as Gary put it. I'd love a copy of the photographs if you have any. I'm sure people don't believe me when I say I had long hair, and i've nothing from that era.

good to hear you're still around Mick. I've some great memories of those days. Not least of all your Ford Cortina 1600E, Judith and Pamela Whateley, walking home in the snow after work one evening, calling in every pub on the way, and I noticed in another post Kath Elshaw! I fancied her something rotten

Hi Mate! Great to hear from you and glad you are ok. For some reason I can't remember who Judith and Pam are, perhaps you can remind me, memories not what it was!. Bumped into Kaths mum and dad a while ago when I lived in Bakewell, but not seen Kath since I left Basegreen. A lots happened in my life since those days, have to catch up sometime. The pictures are in a box somewhere, I will try and find them, there is a really good one of you!. Still heavily involved in music and will probably be at the Greystones for Hamilton Loomis later this month if you are about. Keep in touch, Mike.

Hi Mate! Great to hear from you and glad you are ok. For some reason I can't remember who Judith and Pam are, perhaps you can remind me, memories not what it was!. Bumped into Kaths mum and dad a while ago when I lived in Bakewell, but not seen Kath since I left Basegreen. A lots happened in my life since those days, have to catch up sometime. The pictures are in a box somewhere, I will try and find them, there is a really good one of you!. Still heavily involved in music and will probably be at the Greystones for Hamilton Loomis later this month if you are about. Keep in touch, Mike.

Hi Mike, yes, I'm good. Haven't picked up a bass for many a year in all honesty, until last week, when I went and bought myself a new Fender Jazz. Was talking with some friends who need a bass player and thought why not! then a colleague googled me, found this thread, and I knew it was meant to be :rolleyes:

we'll definitely have to meet up sometime soon, for a good gossip and a trip down memory lane, especially if there are photographs of me. I know people who would pay good money to see me in my youth :gag:

Hi mate, Good to hear that you've still got your 'hand in' as it were! I sold my Gibson 335 on ebay yesterday (had it for 25 years) for ten times what I paid so happy chappy today. Not sure what to replace it with yet but mainly acoustic these days anyway. I very rarely get to Sheff these days but had a great night at the Greystones last weds, Hamilton Loomis is a guy from Texas and is an incredible guitarist, also went to see him yesterday at Holton le Moor before he returns to the States, He's back in may next year so don't miss him if you get chance. It was a strange feeling eating cheesy chips at Gleadless townend at midnight on wednesday, god how that place has changed!. Whereabouts are you these days?, pm me if you prefer. Regards, Mike.

Just thought I would throw these three in

Marmalade Sun

Union Blue

1600E

and a realtively new one

Pistola Kicks

I remember Lap Dingo, Sedition, Sweetie boys and Ipso Facto in the early mid-eighties!! It seems everybody was in a band then!!!!

starfighter where crap they supourted a few bands at the city hall and never went down well

girl where a pretty **** band but one of the band made amends when started up the band la guns

Girl were a bit naff but the LA Guns are pretty good given their constant line up changes. They are back in the UK soon (Nottingham 30th Sept, York 5th October being the closest.

Anyone remember Slikk Kikks (spelling?)? A metal band, played the Hallamshire Hotel etc in the mid 80's. Was mates with most of those, even went on holiday with them twice (to Skegness :P) !

Edited by RepoUK

hi anyone remember mother natures children they won new faces had two singles out but they never charted later on they changed there name to the grace pool five and won radio hallams battle of the bands