Barrowboy, Abbeydale Rd

Anyone been? It`s near Pic House Social.

Seems to add even more to the area in terms of decent going out options! :)

Been a few times. It's nice but very cosy. Not sure about their cider selection (I don't drink lager etc) but they seemed open to changing things when I chatted to the manager.

Anyone been? It`s near Pic House Social.

Yes. It's pretty small, not a massive beer selection or much particularly crafty. It seems more of a pre-bar before going for a meal at the Broady or going into town, than a destination in it's own right.

Been a couple of times, really like it and the food is amazing and the staff are lovely. It does get a bit noisy though when it’s busy, the sound just seems to bounce around, quite echoey.

Worth a visit though if you’re in the area.

I'm going to pop in sometime for a look.

I've had a look at the reviews on the Internet. Can't copy the like over from the Google reviews but one customer states he was charged £6.50 for a pint & couldn't see a price list.

There's been an apologetic response from the owner stating that none of their beers are that price & this was a mistake they'll look into & if the guy pops in again, there's a free pint for him. Seems reasonable.

A purchase of 2 Asahi Japenese lagers set me back about 9.80 I think :-(

Used to be a legal requirement to have a price list but surprising how many don't.

Popped into the Barrowboy, 1pm (ish) on Sat for a nosey & a drink. They've only took half the retail space of what used to be Shah's Supermarket / Stokes' paint shop.

It's a funny place? I'd say more cafe that sells alcohol rather than micro pub that sells food.

Paid £1.90 for a half of Heathen which is on a par with what I paid in the Railway Hotel on Bramall Lane a few weeks earlier.

Get about 25 people in & it'd be full to bursting & early afternoon, there seemed to be more people eating than drinking alcohol. A couple of families & even a couple with a dog, made the place quite lively. Wouldn't say it's a place where you'd spend hours as the ale selection on draft amounts to 5 choices plus Guinness but the do have a well stocked small bar with plenty of spirits.

Not a bad place to meet up then move on.

Yes, they do cocktails and gins too , so if one was staying in the local area, it could be a place to finish up the night in.

Does anyone know what the plans are for the other half - the space beside Barrowboy?

An authentic fish and chippy would be nice, or maybe a small wine bar?

Also whats happening the Vault antique place opposite on corner of Sheldon now its vacated again .. that would make a wicked wine bar :-)

Yes, they do cocktails and gins too , so if one was staying in the local area, it could be a place to finish up the night in.

Does anyone know what the plans are for the other half - the space beside Barrowboy?

An authentic fish and chippy would be nice, or maybe a small wine bar?

Also whats happening the Vault antique place opposite on corner of Sheldon now its vacated again .. that would make a wicked wine bar :-)

Well the last 'proper' chippy down that neck of the woods was Walker's chip shop, which must have shut 40 years ago, now a fast food place, opposite the school, at the bus stop.

Unless it's quality, (think Abbey Friar), don't think there is much call for fish & chip shops any more in the suburbs & let's face it, fish & chips only taste REALLY good at the coast.

The last one, near the Abbeydale Cinema, British fish & chip restaurant, lasted about a year. Now a Greek restaurant.

Edited by Baron99
Amendments