Remember The Old Bulls Head Little Hucklow in the 1970s?

Does anyone remember this pub in the 70s when there was a fairly old landlord who was quite a character - sang - really friendly and full of fun? An old friend from the USA who visited us in '76 is trying to remember which pub we took him to on that trip and I am wondering if it was this one?

He says:

"What was the pub out in the countryside you all took me to? Where I got a wide bruise on my forehead from not bending low enough to go through the doors? And the publican was a right jolly old fella. They had Shakespearean characters carved in wood as the handles to draw the ales...and I remember that someone told me the handles were actually from the bells that night watchmen used back in the day"

Yep, describes Old Bulls Head as I remember it

Does anyone remember this pub in the 70s when there was a fairly old landlord who was quite a character - sang - really friendly and full of fun? An old friend from the USA who visited us in '76 is trying to remember which pub we took him to on that trip and I am wondering if it was this one?

He says:

"What was the pub out in the countryside you all took me to? Where I got a wide bruise on my forehead from not bending low enough to go through the doors? And the publican was a right jolly old fella. They had Shakespearean characters carved in wood as the handles to draw the ales...and I remember that someone told me the handles were actually from the bells that night watchmen used back in the day"

Yes remember the Old Bulls Head.

I seem to remenber a little tiny cellar like room, we called the cave

It was a great little place. What I would describe as "A proper Pub".

Very few left now.

did the beer pumps have Shakespearean characters carved on it? I really don't remember that detail?

I don't remember the beer pumps, but it certainly describes the Old Bulls Head.

Has anyone visited recently?

Has it changed at all?

I just googled it and it closed down in 2005. Also when I revisited it in the 90s the landlord then wasn't very friendly - the old chap must have retired and/or died.

Took my mum and dad there for their wedding anniversary late 70s, landlord put on a good spread for us in the 'cave'.

He says:

Hello..Adelai..The 'Old Bulls Head' at Little Hucklow, was one of our favourite 'Derbyshire village pubs' As young people back in the early 70s..we would drive out from Sheffield and do all the village inns with low beams,horse brasses,stone walls and cosy fires.We have done them all. Our furthest calling point was the 'Wanted Inn' at 'Sparrowpit'. Making our way back in..we would finish at the Bulls Head...mainly cos' they never closed !!! L.O.L///The Landlords name was 'Bernard Saunders' small, smart,bald and as you point out a bit of a character..offer him a drink and it would be a 'Babycham' !!..I went by the pub last Summer and sadly it was crumbling and derelict..a cosy pub..no more..changing times I guess..you can see the pub on 'Google Street view' on Google Earth'...cheers DJ.. S20

Sounds like happy memories! Yes must be the same place - but do you remember the carved beer pumps? I just didn't notice them

Sounds like happy memories! Yes must be the same place - but do you remember the carved beer pumps? I just didn't notice them

Gotcha'..I don't recall carved beer pumps either, maybe they were removed, as they would have been a collectors piece. I have just had a look at a photo of the bar area of the pub ..from around 1974..and the pump handles are obscured.. by us standing at the bar. Yep.. very happy memories..Cheers from DJ.

love to see the photo to show my friend over in California, who's trying to remember if it's the right place - can you upload photos to the Forum?