The azena ballroom gleadless sheffield.

Does anybody know where i can obtain a picture of the azena when it was in its heyday?(beatles played there in 1963) Searched the net,picture sheffield ect with no luck.Spent many hours playing around the derelict building when i was a kid,in fact i've been in there today,its a co-op,but would love to see a reminder of how it looked.

Nope, but I remember it before the Kwiksave took it and the bungalow behind on that looked onto Charnock Drive.

I was brough up on Charnock from 1967 and the stories my mum told me about the Azena were really good.

I will be going through some Photo's that my parents had so if I come across any pictures I will post them.

I used to go to the Azena regularly in the early 60`s and saw the Beatles there

I was brough up on Charnock from 1967 and the stories my mum told me about the Azena were really good.

I will be going through some Photo's that my parents had so if I come across any pictures I will post them.

I was also brought up on Charnock from 1966....can remember the azena sign still being in place,think it was red,can remember playing outside it,and the bungalow behind with its fish pond.

Would be great to find a picture :)

I used to go to the Azena regularly in the early 60`s and saw the Beatles there

We too used to go to the Azena dances in the early 60's.

Missed seeing The Beatles 'cause the price tripled from its normal level when they appeared and at that stage they were relatively unknown outside Liverpool. Regrets? Oh yes! Never did get to see them 'live' - although I've seen 25% in the form of McCartney.

Progressed from there on to The Esquire, Shades, The Penny Farthing and Sheff Uni students union.

There must be some pictures out there somewhere.....

We too used to go to the Azena dances in the early 60's.

Missed seeing The Beatles 'cause the price tripled from its normal level when they appeared and at that stage they were relatively unknown outside Liverpool. Regrets? Oh yes! Never did get to see them 'live' - although I've seen 25% in the form of McCartney.

Progressed from there on to The Esquire, Shades, The Penny Farthing and Sheff Uni students union.

When the Beatles appeared at the Azena they were already a national sensation with 'From Me To You' at No1, They were not booked by the Azena but by Pete & Geoff Stringfellow who hired the venue as the 'Black Cat Club' wasn't big enough.

The 'Beatles' fee that night was around £80 which they honoured because Stringfellow had the insite to book them before they'd arrived big time.

When the Beatles appeared at the Azena they were already a national sensation with 'From Me To You' at No1, They were not booked by the Azena but by Pete & Geoff Stringfellow who hired the venue as the 'Black Cat Club' wasn't big enough.

The 'Beatles' fee that night was around £80 which they honoured because Stringfellow had the insite to book them before they'd arrived big time.

Thanks for the info Switchblade.

As I understand it, The Beatles appeared at the Azena on Tuesday, 12th Feb 1963. Prior to that they had released 3 singles, 'My Bonnie' in Jan 62 which reached number 48 in the charts; 'Love me do' in Oct 62 which reached 17 and 'Please please me' in Jan 63 which went on to reach 1 or 2 depending on which chart is referred to.

'From me to you' I don't think was released until 12th April 63, after the Azena gig. So, without a doubt at the time they were becoming nationally known and evolving into the hugely successful group which we all came to appreciate.

At the time, however, as I have said before, we weren't willing to pay three times the admission price. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

Thanks for the info Switchblade.

As I understand it, The Beatles appeared at the Azena on Tuesday, 12th Feb 1963. Prior to that they had released 3 singles, 'My Bonnie' in Jan 62 which reached number 48 in the charts; 'Love me do' in Oct 62 which reached 17 and 'Please please me' in Jan 63 which went on to reach 1 or 2 depending on which chart is referred to.

'From me to you' I don't think was released until 12th April 63, after the Azena gig. So, without a doubt at the time they were becoming nationally known and evolving into the hugely successful group which we all came to appreciate.

At the time, however, as I have said before, we weren't willing to pay three times the admission price. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

To make maters worse we lost the support slot on the toss of a coin and ended up supporting Screaming Lord Sutch.

This is the only photo I could find.Not much detail but it explains how the Azena got its name.2010_0110azena0003.jpg