Sheffield Forum

Ethnic areas in Sheffield

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
20-09-2018, 13:06   #1
Realgonekid1
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Total Posts: 11
In Birmingham & the black country there quite a few areas which are very obviously split down on race and religion. This is obvious from the result of immigration in the 1950s/1960s

For example Sparkbrook is a predominately Muslim area
Smethwick is very much a Sikh area and Alum Rock is very much Black African This is very obvious and it is isnt a criticism , it just the way the city has evolved.

There is quite a bit of data to back this up.


Does Sheffield have such a split of areas? or is to small a place for that to happen?

Last edited by Realgonekid1; 20-09-2018 at 19:47.
  Reply With Quote
20-09-2018, 13:18   #2
amazon123
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Total Posts: 369
Have a look at this. You can change the categories using the drop down menu in the top right. You will see that there are areas where certain ethnic groups are more prevalent.

http://datashine.org.uk/#table=QS201...69&lat=53.3657
  Reply With Quote
20-09-2018, 13:38   #3
Realgonekid1
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Total Posts: 11
Thanks that's interesting. Was migration from the sub continent not such a big thing in Sheffield as In other areas during the 50s etc?

Last edited by Realgonekid1; 20-09-2018 at 16:22.
  Reply With Quote
20-09-2018, 18:45   #4
The Joker
Registered User
The Joker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane
Total Posts: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realgonekid1 View Post
I should add there is plenty of data to back this up and other things , for example Smethwick has a large n
I think you’ll find Smethwick doesn’t have a ‘n’ at all, large or not.

I think you need to recheck your data sources.

You’re welcome.
  Reply With Quote
20-09-2018, 19:44   #5
The Moon
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2018
Total Posts: 113
Sadly too many areas of Sheffield are lacking ethics.
  Reply With Quote
20-09-2018, 19:47   #6
Realgonekid1
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Total Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I think you’ll find Smethwick doesn’t have a ‘n’ at all, large or not.

I think you need to recheck your data sources.

You’re welcome.
Sorry I was trying to edit the post on my phone
  Reply With Quote
20-09-2018, 20:55   #7
Baron99
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2017
Total Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moon View Post
Sadly too many areas of Sheffield are lacking ethics.
Agree. Not enough Americans; Canadians; Australians & New Zealanders or rich Russians for me.
  Reply With Quote
21-09-2018, 13:21   #8
Owethemnowt
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 1,134
There are some minority white ethnic areas if you look carefully.
  Reply With Quote
23-09-2018, 09:49   #9
birobasher
Registered User
birobasher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
Total Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realgonekid1 View Post
In Birmingham & the black country there quite a few areas which are very obviously split down on race and religion. This is obvious from the result of immigration in the 1950s/1960s

For example Sparkbrook is a predominately Muslim area
Smethwick is very much a Sikh area and Alum Rock is very much Black African This is very obvious and it is isnt a criticism , it just the way the city has evolved.

There is quite a bit of data to back this up.


Does Sheffield have such a split of areas? or is to small a place for that to happen?
'Split' would imply clear segregation, but that doesn't happen, there's always some mixing.
_______
BiroBasher: Enjoying cinema, art and music, one A6 notebook at a time
https://birobasher.wordpress.com
  Reply With Quote
23-09-2018, 12:42   #10
Phanerothyme
Psychenaut
Phanerothyme's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: The Here And Now
Total Posts: 16,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon123 View Post
Have a look at this. You can change the categories using the drop down menu in the top right. You will see that there are areas where certain ethnic groups are more prevalent.

http://datashine.org.uk/#table=QS201...69&lat=53.3657
THat's brilliant, thank you.
_______
SWYgeW91IGNvdWxkIGhlYXIsIGF0IGV2ZXJ5IGpvbHQsIHRoZS BibG9vZA0KQ29tZSBnYXJnbGluZyBmcm9tIHRoZSBmcm90aC1j b3JydXB0ZWQgbHVuZ3MsDQpPYnNjZW5lIGFzIGNhbmNlciwgYm l0dGVyIGFzIHRoZSBjdWQNCk9mIHZpbGUsIGluY3VyYWJsZSBz b3JlcyBvbiBpbm5vY2VudCB0b25ndWVzLOKAlA==
  Reply With Quote
23-09-2018, 12:45   #11
Realgonekid1
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2018
Total Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by birobasher View Post
'Split' would imply clear segregation, but that doesn't happen, there's always some mixing.
Ok I don't mean a clean split but there are obviously clear areas if you have ever lived in Birmingham (for example) and the data map shows it
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:40.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018