Drivers on the Stocksbridge bypass

Why do drivers keep saying the bypass is dangerous when really the truth is its the drivers themselves who are dangerous ,I used to drive along there many times to witness idiotic drivers overtaking in an unsafe manner many times ,they just do not have the patience to wait behind other drivers .

stop blaming the road and take a look in the mirror

you are correct the road design, although not perfect, is perfectly good enough if used correctly. The road would have been built as a dual carriage way if the funds had been available at the time of construction,1980s.

Why do drivers keep saying the bypass is dangerous when really the truth is its the drivers themselves who are dangerous ,I used to drive along there many times to witness idiotic drivers overtaking in an unsafe manner many times ,they just do not have the patience to wait behind other drivers .

stop blaming the road and take a look in the mirror

:banana::clap: well said. Never a truer word spoken

To play Devil's Advocate. The issue with the road is that it was originally designed as a motorway. It was originally planned to be the East End of the M67 which would join Sheffield to Manchester. The Stocksbridge Bypass was the section that joined to the M1.

However the 1980s Recession and public rejection of new road schemes meant that the most difficult sections through the peak district were never built. As a consequence the Stocksbridge Bypass section was finished on the cheap.

It was originally designed to have a full sized Dual carriageway with a barrier along the central reservation with grade separated junctions.

What was actually built was full of blind hill crests with no crash barriers and two proper grade separated junctions.

As a consequence, many people drive this road aggressively as it has a bit of a feel of a motorway, however its poor design has been the cause of at least 26 deaths.

I'm not excusing bad driving here, but badly designed roads often become accident blackspots.

To play Devil's Advocate. The issue with the road is that it was originally designed as a motorway. It was originally planned to be the East End of the M67 which would join Sheffield to Manchester. The Stocksbridge Bypass was the section that joined to the M1.

However the 1980s Recession and public rejection of new road schemes meant that the most difficult sections through the peak district were never built. As a consequence the Stocksbridge Bypass section was finished on the cheap.

It was originally designed to have a full sized Dual carriageway with a barrier along the central reservation with grade separated junctions.

What was actually built was full of blind hill crests with no crash barriers and two proper grade separated junctions.

As a consequence, many people drive this road aggressively as it has a bit of a feel of a motorway, however its poor design has been the cause of at least 26 deaths.

I'm not excusing bad driving here, but badly designed roads often become accident blackspots.

The problem here is very simple. Had this much needed dual carriageway/motorway been a link into London, it would have been built many many years ago. But as it is oop North, its priorities are minimal.

Angel1.

Firstly - condolences to the families and friends of those who died on the bypass over the weekend.

More info here about the original motorway plan mentioned above, section 4 is the most relevant to this thread - http://www.pathetic.org.uk/unbuilt/m67_manchester_to_sheffield_motorway/

The deaths seemed to stop (for a long time) immediately after the averaging speed cameras were installed.

Has the deterrent of averaging cameras worn off?

After following heavy traffic over Woodhead many car drivers find the bypass an ideal opportunity to try and make up lost time.

Coming the other way from the M1 some drivers are a tad reluctant to slow down from motorway speeds.

Coming down through the rocks towards the Deepcar turn off at a steady 40 mph in my truck, I have been passed several times over the years by other truckers, even though there is a solid white line against them, and they have to break the speed limit to get passed. A recipe for a disaster to happen.

The road is fine (better as a dual carriageway or motorway) if drivers are patient and adhere to the speed limits.

Angel1.

I've driven on the road hundred's of times. People state the design is poor. If you drive sensibly then the design shouldn't be an issue. Years ago I used to see some very idiotic driving on the road which put the drivers and other road users at risk. Lately it does appear drivers are a bit more sensible, although there's still the occasional idiot. Especially coming down towards Deepcar towards the rocks. Often overtaking when the painted lines clearly mean no overtaking. Trucks often doing over 40mph which is the speed limit on this road for trucks, I feel partly due to the fact they don't want to drive at 40mph as they know other vehicles will be inpatient and try to overtake when they either shouldn't or it's not safe to do so.

Edited by Yorkie2000

The deaths seemed to stop (for a long time) immediately after the averaging speed cameras were installed.

A couple of times I've had people dangerously pull out of the Wortley junction on me, some motorists just fail to engage their brain before getting behind the wheel.

---------- Post added 29-08-2018 at 10:45 ----------

Trucks often doing over 40mph which is the speed limit on this road for trucks

Really? 40 mph?

It's NSL past Stocksbridge which is 50mph for HGV's on a single carriageway isn't it?

Edited by geared

Assuming that the drivers who use the stocksbridge bypass also drive on other roads, we can simply look at the rate of accidents and see whether a road is more/less dangerous than any other.

It's pointless to then blame the drivers, individually they are most likely at fault, but when a road has a higher level of accidents/mile driven than another road, it's likely that the reason is down to something fundamental about the road isn't it. It's not that drivers suddenly become suicidal or dangerous when they join that road.

So with that established, you can look at the rate of accidents and conclude that the SB is somehow in design, dangerous (or more dangerous than other similar A roads anyway).

---------- Post added 29-08-2018 at 11:20 ----------

A

Coming down through the rocks towards the Deepcar turn off at a steady 40 mph in my truck, I have been passed several times over the years by other truckers

Why are you driving 10mph below the speed limit?

A couple of times I've had people dangerously pull out of the Wortley junction on me, some motorists just fail to engage their brain before getting behind the wheel.

---------- Post added 29-08-2018 at 10:45 ----------

Really? 40 mph?

It's NSL past Stocksbridge which is 50mph for HGV's on a single carriageway isn't it?

Yes it is.

Yes it is.

Yes it is 40mph or yes it is 50mph (for HGV's) ??

NSL for HGV's on a single-cariageway is 50mph isn't it?