Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Rebels put on hold.

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

06-07-2007, 12:56   #1
mad_dog

Total Posts: 17
After having some meetings and discussing Rebels we have decided to put it on hold for now. A few factors have made us come to this decision.

one been as was pointed out in another post the students arent here and most clubs feel the brunt of it when they have gone.

the second is after hearing for the past few years people complaining about corp and wishing they had somewhere else to go, for all their talk they just end up like sheep and follow the crowd, now im not going into whats been said on the grapevine about the future rock scene here but it would be a shame for us to have no rock club. end of the day to make things work places need bums on seats as things do cost money to run.

also the smoking ban, we want to see how this affects bars and clubs as i saw in manchester monday the affect it had on trade over there. i know some places here have had outdoor areas made which is a good thing, but some have just stuck a few table and chairs next to their bins, and i dont think people want to sit next to that all night and keep watch for rats.

now rebels will be back later in the year and maybe not at the same venue as we want to cater for the smokers and already have an idea where it will go so keep your eyes peeled and watch this space.

in the meantime myself, jozafeen, the rest of team batfink and the staff at rebels want to thank everyone that has been and those that showed support (big shout out to the dove and rainbow) and we will see you soon once more.

peace and love y'all
06-07-2007, 16:00   #2
WYEXILE

Total Posts: 948
Bring back the Pinup!!!!!!!!!!

Who's in?
06-07-2007, 18:02   #3
discodown
Armageddon!

Total Posts: 10,622
Indeed, if the venue isn't to be used for rebels what is it going to be used for? I for one would be interested in putting something on there
_______
I hate a good many things, but I suffer them all the same.

Stannis Baratheon
06-07-2007, 18:05   #4
Grim Reaper
Creeping Death

Total Posts: 5,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_dog View Post
After having some meetings and discussing Rebels we have decided to put it on hold for now. A few factors have made us come to this decision.

one been as was pointed out in another post the students arent here and most clubs feel the brunt of it when they have gone.

the second is after hearing for the past few years people complaining about corp and wishing they had somewhere else to go, for all their talk they just end up like sheep and follow the crowd, now im not going into whats been said on the grapevine about the future rock scene here but it would be a shame for us to have no rock club. end of the day to make things work places need bums on seats as things do cost money to run.

also the smoking ban, we want to see how this affects bars and clubs as i saw in manchester monday the affect it had on trade over there. i know some places here have had outdoor areas made which is a good thing, but some have just stuck a few table and chairs next to their bins, and i dont think people want to sit next to that all night and keep watch for rats.

now rebels will be back later in the year and maybe not at the same venue as we want to cater for the smokers and already have an idea where it will go so keep your eyes peeled and watch this space.

in the meantime myself, jozafeen, the rest of team batfink and the staff at rebels want to thank everyone that has been and those that showed support (big shout out to the dove and rainbow) and we will see you soon once more.

peace and love y'all

Cheers Doll - Let us all know progress as you have it and when you set up again I may even manage a rare evening out.
_______
Happiness comes to those who wait :)
06-07-2007, 18:24   #5
Craig Holmes

Total Posts: 189
In the current Sheffield climate I'm sure no-one will let this venue go to waste.
07-07-2007, 09:39   #6
WYEXILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by discodown View Post
Indeed, if the venue isn't to be used for rebels what is it going to be used for? I for one would be interested in putting something on there
If you mean it PM me cos I've been looking to do something for quite some time now.
07-07-2007, 12:38   #7
discodown
Armageddon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYEXILE View Post
If you mean it PM me cos I've been looking to do something for quite some time now.
I mean it but if the venue isn't available then its academic. Besides I've got a few other things coming up
_______

Stannis Baratheon
07-07-2007, 18:59   #8
WYEXILE

Does anyone know who owns the club and how I can contact them?
07-07-2007, 21:18   #9
discodown
Armageddon!

Baxendale owns it, I doubt theres anything we can say to persuade him to let us use the venue!
_______

Stannis Baratheon
08-07-2007, 07:34   #10
WYEXILE

Why's that? I would have thought anything is better than it being stood empty.
08-07-2007, 09:41   #11
Jozafeen

Total Posts: 626
Quote:
Why's that? I would have thought anything is better than it being stood empty.
AFAIK the venue isn't 'stood empty' and was used last weekend as Vibe's second room.
_______
Clofink - Bespoke Clothing & Bridal Wear, Costumes & Corsets - Facebook page
08-07-2007, 09:50   #12
discodown
Armageddon!

but in general it will be empty most weekends
_______

Stannis Baratheon
08-07-2007, 09:55   #13
Pauline BHG

Total Posts: 1,002
Sad to hear that Mad Dog as i hadn't made it there yet (just a bad couple of months). But i'm sure the next venture will be cool, putting all your thoughts into consideration. I look forward to it, we all need a bit of variety. I miss Batfink too. I like Corp, but only go on a monthly basis so that i don't get too bored with the same old same old. Even having somewhere different to go once a month/every couple of weeks would be good.

Good luck
08-07-2007, 10:03   #14
Jozafeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline BHG View Post
Sad to hear that Mad Dog as i hadn't made it there yet (just a bad couple of months). But i'm sure the next venture will be cool, putting all your thoughts into consideration. I look forward to it, we all need a bit of variety. I miss Batfink too. I like Corp, but only go on a monthly basis so that i don't get too bored with the same old same old. Even having somewhere different to go once a month/every couple of weeks would be good.

Good luck
Cheers Pauline - as Mad Dog says, we are aiming at bringing back Rebels at a new venue in a couple of months and there's a free Batfink at Bar Phoenix on September 14th!
_______
08-07-2007, 11:08   #15
WYEXILE

Jozafeen, do you know how I can contact the owner?
08-07-2007, 18:56   #16
WYEXILE

I've pm'd the owner. He may tell me to do one but you don't get anything without asking
11-07-2007, 16:31   #17
WYEXILE

Okay, I now have a contact for the manager. Now I don't want to do this myself as I've never put a night on before. However, I'm not daft (well, not all the time) but am willing to work damn hard to put this venue back on the map. Is there anybody out there who would be willing to get on board and give Sheffield a night of PROPER HOUSE MUSIC without the cliques and pretension that seem to go with the scene at the moment?
11-07-2007, 16:42   #18
Jozafeen

Quote:
Okay, I now have a contact for the manager. Now I don't want to do this myself as I've never put a night on before. However, I'm not daft (well, not all the time) but am willing to work damn hard to put this venue back on the map. Is there anybody out there who would be willing to get on board and give Sheffield a night of PROPER HOUSE MUSIC without the cliques and pretension that seem to go with the scene at the moment?
Perhaps starting a thread of your own might be a start - this one is about Rebels as a rock club being put on hold after all

Good luck with it anyhow!
_______
11-07-2007, 17:11   #19
Azrael316

Total Posts: 202
Kepp us posted, can't be doing with no Rebels.

The 1st night was ace and I have just had to tell my mate from down south that he can't go to Rebs when he comes back up on the 28th..
_______
'Like My Scrotum here it is in a Nutshell' - BHG
11-07-2007, 17:56   #20
Powerage

Total Posts: 1,584
Yes I would like it back as well I really cant be doing with a night down the Corp if I want to stay out late it really does my head in.
_______
gone shootin
Reply To Topic