Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Shame it wasn't a biscuit that the woman handed over to the beggars. You could've gone up to them & said:

"That takes the biscuit that does"

Yes she wanted to have her cake and eat it.

I was born in Sheffield (I now live in Chesterfield) and don't manage to get back to Sheffield that often. This is mainly due to work commitments than anything else. I do however like Sheffield.

I was reminded of this thread yesterday though.

I was at Sheffield Train Station and was early so I sat outside The Sheffield Tap with a glass of wine......

as a word of caution ....do be careful what you say where you say it and to who you say it..... i'm not 100% certain that drinking alocohol out side the sheffield tap is not illegal despite seating being available and as is also the case in parts of what was formerly the peace gardens ... the nanny state and sheffield council appear to have loads of rules regarding alcohol and its consumption they choose whether or not to apply on a whim.

as a word of caution ....do be careful what you say where you say it and to who you say it..... i'm not 100% certain that drinking alocohol out side the sheffield tap is not illegal despite seating being available and as is also the case in parts of what was formerly the peace gardens ... the nanny state and sheffield council appear to have loads of rules regarding alcohol and its consumption they choose whether or not to apply on a whim.

Do you think that the council should be able to restrict drug taking in public areas? Or is that part of the nanny state?

(Once you’ve processed that conundrum, I’m happy to tell you that the Tap outside seating is authorised for the use of alcohol.)

I'd be willing to hazard a small bet that the Tap have not simply cordoned off a section of the public highway and put out some seating, they either own it, or lease it somehow. So it's not "in public", it's part of a licensed area just like any other beer garden. I'm sure the same applies outside Browns at the side of the peace gardens.

It's ok, I am 100% sure that it is legal. Also I didn't get arrested for street drinking. :)

---------- Post added 26-09-2018 at 20:47 ----------

I'd be willing to hazard a small bet that the Tap have not simply cordoned off a section of the public highway and put out some seating, they either own it, or lease it somehow. So it's not "in public", it's part of a licensed area just like any other beer garden. I'm sure the same applies outside Browns at the side of the peace gardens.

At least 3 police cars came past in the time that I was drinking a glass of white wine, and none of the officers stopped to read me the riot act. (not police cars displaying blue lights obviously) :)

I was genuinely surprised how quickly I was asked for money though and I shouldn't be because I regularly read Sheffield Forum.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I didn't feel threatened by the guy at all. Older people may do, I don't know.

Do you think that the council should be able to restrict drug taking in public areas? Or is that part of the nanny state?

my fault i did not accurately explain my intention so it is easy to make the wrong aasumption.

that particular post was only intended as a friendly 'beware' i have no objection to people drinking alcohol when and wherever they choose. alcohol is a substance that it is quite legal to posess use and sell if you meet the given legislations

(Once you’ve processed that conundrum, I’m happy to tell you that the Tap outside seating is authorised for the use of alcohol.)

Fair enough.. fill your boots and do so with impunity.

I think we need to focus why there is an increase of begging and homelessness. Austerity Britain might have something to do with it.

I think we need to focus why there is an increase of begging and homelessness. Austerity Britain might have something to do with it.

I'm not saying austerity isnt making things worse I think it is. However its very easy to say its austerity. There are many on the streets today begging or actual homeless who have been doing this way before austerity was a problem.

Also many of the begging is to fuel an addiction and if they can afford Spice at £10.00 a time then surely they can afford food and drink.

Guest makapaka
if they can afford Spice at £10.00 a time then surely they can afford food and drink.

I'm not quite sure you've grasped how drug addiction works there...........

I'm not quite sure you've grasped how drug addiction works there...........

Ah that wasn't the point I was making I appreciate they are addicted BUT the point I was making was that they are not homeless they have a revenue stream and if work is done to tackle the addiction they could put that money to use elsewhere. Its not just austerity but what they are spending their money on thats the issue.

Guest makapaka
Ah that wasn't the point I was making I appreciate they are addicted BUT the point I was making was that they are not homeless they have a revenue stream and if work is done to tackle the addiction they could put that money to use elsewhere. Its not just austerity but what they are spending their money on thats the issue.

But begging isn't really a revenue stream is it?

Austerity doesn't have to be a root cause either does it - it's not going to improve the situation is it?