Before Central heating

Council house on Lowedges in the 1960's. Metal window frames. Condensation streaming down the windows and as others have said ice on the inside of the windows in the winter.

Coal fire in the living area. Gas cooker turned on in the kitchen just to get that area warm.

Two freestanding gas rings beside the sink was our cooker, everything else was cooked by the oven in the fireplace and a trivet on the fire itself.

Two freestanding gas rings beside the sink was our cooker, everything else was cooked by the oven in the fireplace and a trivet on the fire itself.

Likewise.

Our cooking pots and kettles were always covered in a thick layer black gunk from being on the fire.

There was no point in cleaning them, really!

Today, I'm proud of my set of cooking pans. All gleaming clean and on display in my kitchen, always convenient and ready for use.

I just wish I could replicate the truly wonderful bread, breadcakes, fat cakes, rhubarb pasties, dumpling stews granma could conjure up from that fireplace oven, to feed a large family, but the secret ingredient, lard, seems to have been outlawed these days.

Likewise.

Our cooking pots and kettles were always covered in a thick layer black gunk from being on the fire.

There was no point in cleaning them, really!

Today, I'm proud of my set of cooking pans. All gleaming clean and on display in my kitchen, always convenient and ready for use.

I just wish I could replicate the truly wonderful bread, breadcakes, fat cakes, rhubarb pasties, dumpling stews granma could conjure up from that fireplace oven, to feed a large family, but the secret ingredient, lard, seems to have been outlawed these days.

Lard is alive and kicking but it's called shortening over here. We always have it in but only for pastries, pie crusts etc.I don't put it on my hair anymore.:hihi: What you were saying about pans, that was where the old saying came from 'the kettle calling the frying pan black":D

... that was where the old saying came from 'the kettle calling the frying pan black":D
Or as my grandma put it "kettle calling t' frying pan grimy arse"..:P Bless her - she only ever had a fire oven and gas ring.