Sheffield Forum

Are new apartments noisy

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Property & Housing

Reply To Topic

06-01-2017, 11:41   #1
shine2

Total Posts: 591
What is the noise like in new apartments any advise there are some nice ones on Kirby view Gleadless and new ones on Handsworth, looking at ground floor but not sure if you would here all the noise above
09-01-2017, 11:00   #2
onlineo

Total Posts: 390
It depends a lot on how they were built, what materials used, quality of the design and workmanship, and neighbours. New appartments should not be noisy and usually are not noisy but hell I would want to be checking before I bought (which offplan would be impossible, unless the developer can give you noise test results)
09-01-2017, 11:27   #3
spider1

Total Posts: 2,931
No flats built today and possibly over the last 10 years have a lot of soundproof tests by inspectors ./ But by the nature of the beast flats are always noisy guess a lot depends on neighbours . If you want quite keep away from flats
09-01-2017, 12:21   #4
Danny_Boy

Total Posts: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine2 View Post
What is the noise like in new apartments any advise there are some nice ones on Kirby view Gleadless and new ones on Handsworth, looking at ground floor but not sure if you would here all the noise above
Depends on the flat I suppose, The quality of the build and your neighbours will be big factors.

I have lived in a flat (top floor) and a terraced house, in the terraced house I could hear if the neighbour farted, in the flat it was silent, I once opened my window and could hear really loud music coming from the flat underneath me, I closed the window and could no longer hear the music.

The terraced house was built 1890 and the flat was converted from a barn in 2009 so maybe the new builds are better.
_______
Financial Advisor. Re-mortgages, Help to buy schemes, help to buy ISA's, insurances & bereavement planning.
09-01-2017, 12:53   #5
Futures Red

Total Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Boy View Post
Depends on the flat I suppose, The quality of the build and your neighbours will be big factors.

I have lived in a flat (top floor) and a terraced house, in the terraced house I could hear if the neighbour farted, in the flat it was silent, I once opened my window and could hear really loud music coming from the flat underneath me, I closed the window and could no longer hear the music.

The terraced house was built 1890 and the flat was converted from a barn in 2009 so maybe the new builds are better.

PMSL - Sorry about that
09-01-2017, 22:00   #6
Danny_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futures Red View Post

PMSL - Sorry about that
Haha to be fair his wind wasn't that bad, the walls were ridiculously thin.
_______
Financial Advisor. Re-mortgages, Help to buy schemes, help to buy ISA's, insurances & bereavement planning.
09-01-2017, 22:30   #7
shine2

Lol walls must have been thin.I'm thinking more of the
New build ones 😂😂😂
09-01-2017, 22:39   #8
*_ash_*
formerly djash1000

Total Posts: 16,521
I think it all really boils down to neighbours.

Bad neighbours and it doesn't matter how thick the walls are.

I've lived in lots of places, and flats are always the worst, just based on the numbers (probabilities)

If I could find somewhere and afford it, I wouldn't have a neighbour within a mile
_______
13640 170115 0237(p) 13772 140315 2137(f) 13812 070415 2359(f) 16515 080717 1233 (done) Merc for sale
10-01-2017, 10:57   #9
Danny_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by *_ash_* View Post
I think it all really boils down to neighbours.

Bad neighbours and it doesn't matter how thick the walls are.

I've lived in lots of places, and flats are always the worst, just based on the numbers (probabilities)

If I could find somewhere and afford it, I wouldn't have a neighbour within a mile

Yep me too.
_______
10-01-2017, 10:58   #10
shine2

I don't have any neighbors joined onto me now that's why its such a big step
just was looking to downsize
10-01-2017, 11:16   #11
Danny_Boy

Quote:
I don't have any neighbors joined onto me now that's why its such a big step
just was looking to downsize
That is my biggest concern when I look to down size, we live in a detached which means we have no noise from others but also we can have our telly or music on as loud as we want and not worry about annoying anyone.

Perhaps a good plan would be to try and arrange some viewings in a flat you like at a time when the neighbours are likely to be in (after 6pm or weekends) and see what the noise levels are like. Could you perhaps rent for 6 months first or something like that?
_______
10-01-2017, 11:21   #12
shine2

yeah we have a detached no road noise or people walking past house, id be gutted though if I sold and didn't like apartments. Have to rent mine out first and ret apartment for 6 month tough decision lol
10-01-2017, 11:36   #13
Danny_Boy

Quote:
yeah we have a detached no road noise or people walking past house, id be gutted though if I sold and didn't like apartments. Have to rent mine out first and ret apartment for 6 month tough decision lol
Yeah it would be awful to sell up and then find out you hate it in the flat.
_______
10-01-2017, 13:39   #14
Jomie

Total Posts: 736
Shine2 - have you considered downsizing to a small detached bungalow, perhaps a two bedroomed? It just seems a big step from your current home to a flat. Flats are great for ease of management but you are at the mercy of your neighbours. Some flats are in small blocks of just four so that might be something to look out for too.
24-01-2017, 21:50   #15
Isabelle

Total Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Boy View Post

I've lived in a few places over the years, the contenders for noisiest have to be my last terraced house where I could hear next door's mobile phone vibrating, and the house converted into two flats. I had the upstairs flat, it was fine whilst downstairs was empty, but I got new neighbours and realised their living room was directly below my bedroom and I could hear them talking like they were in the next room. I could never make out the words, which I think was somehow worse!
26-01-2017, 09:12   #16
rose06

Total Posts: 3
I live on the top floor of a large block of flats built in 2007 and was very nervous about noise when we moved in, turning down the bass on the TV etc. A couple of weeks in we found out our neighbour was having regular band practice next door and we hadn't heard a thing! By far the quietest place we've lived, despite having three immediate neighbours.
26-01-2017, 15:27   #17
Jeffrey Shaw
Mr

Total Posts: 14,464
Wooden floors are trendy but susceptible to being noisy unless properly underlaid.
_______
JEFFREY SHAW
Solicitor with Nether Edge Law
Contact me on jss@netheredgelaw.co.uk
Reply To Topic