Shopping in Firth Park in the 60's/70's

In the days before large supemarkets and meadowhalls we used to get taken to Firth Park on a Saturday afternoon to do the shopping.

We got the 75 bus from Lane Top, it was only a five minute ride to Firth Park.

Some of the shops i remember were Fredricks the pork butchers, The Fine Fare which was about as big a supemarket you could get in late 60's, Woolworths (next to Fine Fare), Huddarts hardware shop, Wigfalls, Baldwins (ladies wear) got my first bra from there aged about 11 (i remember the embrassment very clearly):blush:

It was a lovely little shopping centre back then, what with the park and the little boating lake.

Saturday tea would be pork bits from fredricks or finny haddock from the fish shop opposite fredricks. Good memories :)

I used to be taken there by my mother on the 17 bus from Parson Cross, I used to love it there and I remember my mother buying me a bucket of live crabs from the fish mongers there, I kept them for a few days before they all snuffed it.

My Gran (god rest her soul) used to buy muscles and crab from there, the crabs still had their blinking claws on, used to scare me to death. The smell of that shop was awful.

We always had to go late afternoon on Saturday so she could pick up all the leftovers really cheap. Everyone in the shops at Firth Park knew my Gran.

If she was feeling a bit flushed we would go to the tanner bingo just at side of the bowling alley, spent many hours watching the bowlers whilst she was playing bingo.

Do you remember the butchers shop of R Spencer & Son at Firth park?

I originally lived on Hinde House Lane.

My school friend John Spencer was the grandson of the original R Spencer and he went to work in the shop with his dad after leaving school in 1959. His son also went into the shop in the 90's.

When I was married in 1968 and lived on Maple Croft Rd we got all our meat from Spencers.

It was very sad when John died in his early 50's I think. Not long after that the shop shut.

I also remember a bycycle shop and a fruit shop - was it Hagues? Jennifer Hague was also in my class at school.

John

Also Blaskeys wallpaper shop and the magnificent co-op building.

It's now the library.

does anyone remember the veg cart that used to stand on the side road just of bellhouse road? & hagenbachs i think it was called it used to have a cafe inside the bread shop & lovely sausage rolls

does anyone remember the veg cart that used to stand on the side road just of bellhouse road? & hagenbachs i think it was called it used to have a cafe inside the bread shop & lovely sausage rolls

I remember the cart and the cafe was origionally Davies I think.

Do you remember the butchers shop of R Spencer & Son at Firth park?

I originally lived on Hinde House Lane.

My school friend John Spencer was the grandson of the original R Spencer and he went to work in the shop with his dad after leaving school in 1959. His son also went into the shop in the 90's.

When I was married in 1968 and lived on Maple Croft Rd we got all our meat from Spencers.

It was very sad when John died in his early 50's I think. Not long after that the shop shut.

I also remember a bycycle shop and a fruit shop - was it Hagues? Jennifer Hague was also in my class at school.

John

the cycle shop was john allens fruit shops was roses wilsons paper shop was camms fish a chip shop was stringers the litte house window tophams bishop sweet shop

i could name plenty more i lived on bevercotes at that time

I remember the cart and the cafe was origionally Davies I think.

i remember the cart he used to leave it under the steps at the back of the wharncliff

and any left over fruit in a small lock up

:)

Good Old Days.

I still live in the area - many shops have changed but memories live forever.

Sadly we are inundated now with many who only should live in the bowels of the earth - Yuk!!!

:)

Good Old Days.

I still live in the area - many shops have changed but memories live forever.

Sadly we are inundated now with many who only should live in the bowels of the earth - Yuk!!!

Us too and couldn't agree more.