Anyone able to test an LGA1155 CPU?

I have an annoying problem. Picked up a used i5 3470T to replaced my i3 2120 as I wanted AES-NI to use it for pfSense.

Upon removing the 2120 I noticed one of the VCC pins right at the bottom of the socket is bent, but this had not been causing any problems. I have heard before that missing a VCC pin is not always an issue as they tend to be commoned and I never plan to use the chip maxed out, so I went ahead and put in the chip.

However when I power up, the fan spins then turns off, spins then turns off, the board is clearly not POSTing. I put the 2120 back in and it powers up fine.

So could it be that this chip needs that particular VCC pin, bearing in mind its rated at HALF the watts of the 2120, or is it faulty?

Is anyone able to test the chip or repair the socket for me? I really don't want to waste the money on a new motherboard to find its the CPU that is broken. This whole exercise was to save money using a board I already have to replace my router with something that will support future pfSense releases.

Edited by AlexAtkin

What board is it?

Some boards only support 2nd Gen, some support 2nd and 3rd, and some only support 3rd Gen..

I know of a system that had an 1155 "Pentium Dual Core" Sandybridge CPU in it, but it wouldn't support Ivy Bridge CPU's...

I also have a DELL here that has/had an i5-2400 in it, but that also will not accept 3rd Gen (ivybridge) CPU's

however, the missus has an Asus bard with an i5-2400 in, but that board also supports 3rd Gen (ivybridge)

So, what board/chipset are you using?

if it's a Q65, Q67 or B65 chipset you cannot use an IvyBridge CPU

Its a Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 and I did check the BIOS was updated and the CPU was on the supported list on the website. ;)

Its a Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 and I did check the BIOS was updated and the CPU was on the supported list on the website. ;)

you should be good with that board, compatible chipset so...

Next thing - is the pin you're talking about just bent, or physically missing?

if it's bent, you could CAREFULLY bend it back - if it's broken, then there may be a chance it's needed for the i5

I unfortunately, don't have an Ivybridge compatible board here :(

I tried bending it back but can't quite get it right and don't want to try too hard as I broke a board in the past doing that.

At this point I really need to know if the CPU works, because if its just that the CPU is dead then its not worth risking further damaging a board that still works.

Edited by AlexAtkin