Graffiti. Not Really Getting To Grips With It, Is It?

Following pressure from Sheffield Council & MP Louise Haigh, BT has agreed to paint over graffiti on its roadside communication boxes.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/telecoms-giant-gets-message-over-graffiti-in-sheffield-1-9169464

Good effort on the part of BT but it's not really tackling the problem of graffiti & tagging is it? We all know that as soon as BT repaint their boxes, it'll just be seen as a blank canvas for the taggers.

I've recently noticed an increase in the tagging down London Rd., along St. Mary's Gate & into town. The businesses whose properties have been tagged, must be fed up?

On the subject of tagging. Can anyone explain it?

What the taggers get out of it? Do they believe, like some immature child, that by adding a moniker, the taggers are under the misapprehension that a wall, metal shop shutter of roadside junction box becomes their property?

Enlighten me?

Usually it`s a bit of a competition to see who can be most prolific and / or daring in where their tag gets. Some also consider them artistic if they are consistent, unique and flowing. Apparently.

Remember.. FISTO.

Guest makapaka
Remember.. FISTO.

Don’t mind taggjng at all on things like bt boxes

Don’t like people tagging buildings but like graffiti artwork on them when done by talented artists..

i think nice art work is fine like the one on heeley green ect,but its the graffiti stuff on council buildings I dislike,it gives a feeling if the council can do it,so can I attitude.

Don’t mind taggjng at all on things like bt boxes

Don’t like people tagging buildings but like graffiti artwork on them when done by talented artists..

Agree. Some street art improves some buildings & bleak environments no end. You've only got to look at the art work on The Rutland pub on Brown St., very original or Pete McKee's 'The Snog' on the side of Fagans.

Sadly someone scrawling 'Fiba' or 'Vomit' on a wall aren't in the same league & cwn hardly be called artists.

---------- Post added 18-05-2018 at 10:50 ----------

Remember.. FISTO.

This was the clown otherwise known as Simon Sunderland. The outcry when he was gaoled. Had he served his full term, it would have sent a message that Sheffield wasn't going to put up with mindless tags.

He was supposed to have changed his ways but then returned as 'Bloodaxe' & 'Eric Bloodaxe', causing more than £90,000 of damage.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-graffiti-vandal-fista-jailed-1-6802219

I ask you. An adolescent you might give a bit of leeway too but a bloke in his 40's!

Following pressure from Sheffield Council & MP Louise Haigh, BT has agreed to paint over graffiti on its roadside communication boxes.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/telecoms-giant-gets-message-over-graffiti-in-sheffield-1-9169464

Good effort on the part of BT but it's not really tackling the problem of graffiti & tagging is it? We all know that as soon as BT repaint their boxes, it'll just be seen as a blank canvas for the taggers.

I've recently noticed an increase in the tagging down London Rd., along St. Mary's Gate & into town. The businesses whose properties have been tagged, must be fed up?

On the subject of tagging. Can anyone explain it?

What the taggers get out of it? Do they believe, like some immature child, that by adding a moniker, the taggers are under the misapprehension that a wall, metal shop shutter of roadside junction box becomes their property?

Enlighten me?

I think it's quite often an opportunity for middle class young men who want to pretend they're not (until they realise their background might give them a boost in terms of getting a job or getting given mobey to get on the property ladder of course) to show how 'urban' and 'street' they are.

Remember.. FISTO.

How could we ever forget :roll:

How could we ever forget :roll:

Was he the intellectual giant who couldn't stop writing his own name on things, even when threatened with jail? Did he get jail in the end?

Was he the intellectual giant who couldn't stop writing his own name on things, even when threatened with jail? Did he get jail in the end?

Yes he did, more than one sentence too...

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/can-you-remember-sheffield-graffiti-king-fista-20-years-on-from-reign-of-vandalism-1-7879959

What a grade A moron. Imagine repeatedly throwing years of your life and freedom away for writing your nickname on things?

Remember.. FISTO.

FISTA's brother?

I think it was less of a tag and more an indication of what he liked people to do to him.