Network PC's in Win 10 (1803)

It seems Microsoft have decided that network PC's is "Legacy" and no longer shows them by default.

Not so much a big problem for me as a set manual IP's on all my systems but I can see it causing a lot of issues for some. I've only read a bit into it and can't see any potential problems getting it back.

If you want to put it back on:-

Go to services

Find "Function Discovery Resource Publication" And set it from Manual to Auto or Auto Delayed (I use auto delayed)

Your PC's should now show as they always have in network.

As I said, I'm still reading into why this would be turned off so please let us know if you find and valid reason not to put it back on or why MS decided it's no longer needed.

I don't know what you're talking about? 'Network PCs'? Do you mean PCs connected to a network? Or do you mean when browsing your network on Windows 10?

I don't get what you mean?

My PC's are all visible to each other, all on Windows 10, (and one on Windows 7) - can all see each other and file share....

I upgraded 4 devices (3 PC's and a Win Tablet)

After they were done, all of them disappeared from "Network" No problem accessing files or RDP but none showing.

I did a bit of hunting on the net and found a page that mentioned MS turning off the service. I'll have a dig round and find the link. In it they mentioned how MS deemed this to be out of date and a "Legacy" way of connecting. I don't use Homegroup and never have so can't comment on that. Maybe it's a " New feature" like the cloud storage that had to be stored on local drives. MS do have some strange... good ideas.

EDIT: They were not visible when browsing network PC's

Edited by zach

They still show up for me.

Have you checked if perhaps its turned the firewall on / switched your network to public?

I upgraded 4 devices (3 PC's and a Win Tablet)

After they were done, all of them disappeared from "Network" No problem accessing files or RDP but none showing.

I did a bit of hunting on the net and found a page that mentioned MS turning off the service. I'll have a dig round and find the link. In it they mentioned how MS deemed this to be out of date and a "Legacy" way of connecting. I don't use Homegroup and never have so can't comment on that. Maybe it's a " New feature" like the cloud storage that had to be stored on local drives. MS do have some strange... good ideas.

EDIT: They were not visible when browsing network PC's

You need to make sure that "network discovery" is on for them all, and that they are all set to a 'Private' network...

Go to "Network and Sharing Center" and set network discovery to on, and tick the box, also turn on file and printer sharing if it's not already... then, under the "all networks" turn off the public folder sharing, and disable using passwords (optional)

It's fine now and for some reason it seems it's not happened to everyone...obviously.

I appreciate your ideas but it was 1803 update in my case. I found the web page that pointed me in the right direction. Have a read and see what you make of it. The bottom article describes exactly what happened on my network.

http://woshub.com/network-computers-not-showing-windows-10/

I have found the updates have a nasty habit of switching your network back to public which of course turns discovery off. I had forgotten as I just automatically switch it back without thinking.

I have found the updates have a nasty habit of switching your network back to public which of course turns discovery off. I had forgotten as I just automatically switch it back without thinking.

Yes, I've had that on mine. Windows 10 is far from perfect but for what I use it for, it's still the best option (IMO)

And now I just started another OS argument! :hihi:

Honestly, I mostly use Linux and will openly admit it has its issues. But then when something is free you don't expect the same level of polish as a commercial product, which is why people get upset that Windows 10 hasn't exactly been particularly polished.

Realistically, its not like previous versions of Windows were flawless either, people seem to have selective memories.

I use Windows for gaming and mostly on my 2-in-1 laptop because touchscreen support is pretty much nonexistent on Linux applications. Linux DOES support touchscreens, but things like scrolling in Firefox by dragging the screen is not without addons, that just don't work as reliably as Windows native support.

Edited by AlexAtkin

WORD OF WARNING:

If you have a PC that is EVER going to be used on a public network then doing what the OP suggests is a terrible idea. It will make your network shares potentially accessible to other people when on that network.

As it stands right now Windows 10 rightfully will always assume you are on a public network until you tell it otherwise to avoid any security issues like above.