Should there be a ban on buying more than one property

Can you believe that I am now the only person in my dept at work that owns their own home? There used to be 3 of us, but 2 left. Now all my colleagues are forced to rent.....and each and everyone totally hates it!!

How unfair and unjust is that!

I have 2 younger brothers that have also been forced to rent. Then the viscous cycle begins. They are trapped, never will they be able to save thanks to the downright greedy landlords. The Gov't should sort this problem out. Whichever party pledged to scrap buy to let would get my vote.

I hate the parasitic leeches. Most have either inherited, bought prior to the property boom or had some other good fortune to start them off....and then they just assume they should have a surplus pot of money rolling in each month, plus the poor sod is paying the property mortgage off for them. They then walk off into the sunset on the sheer misery and unhappiness of the wretched souls who are forced to bow to their demands.

About time the whole 2nd home ownership was taxed 90%....to hell with them!!

Edited by mrcharlie

Don't sit on the fence. Tell us how you really feel.

So how did you afford a house when your two younger brothers will be renting for life?

If they are as miserable as you say then why not let them live with you??

Can you believe that I am now the only person in my dept at work that owns their own home? There used to be 3 of us, but 2 left. Now all my colleagues are forced to rent.....and each and everyone totally hates it!!

I have 2 younger brothers that have also been forced to rent. Then the viscous cycle begins. They are trapped, never will they be able to save thanks to the downright greedy landlords. The Gov't should sort this problem out. Whichever party pledged to scrap buy to let would get my vote.

I hate the parasitic leeches. Most have either inherited, bought prior to the property boom or hand some other good fortune to start them off....and then they just assume they should have a surplus pot of money rolling in each month, plus the poor sod is paying the property mortgage off for them. They then walk off into the sunset on the sheer misery and unhappiness of the wretched souls who are forced to bow to their demands.

sub let a rooms to your brothers, feel the wealth

I hate the parasitic leeches. Most have either inherited, bought prior to the property boom or hand some other good fortune to start them off....and then they just assume they should have a surplus pot of money rolling in each month, plus the poor sod is paying the property mortgage off for them. They then walk off into the sunset on the sheer misery and unhappiness of the wretched souls who are forced to bow to their demands.

So let me get this right.

You are saying that the only property landlords offering rental properties should be the state?

So how did you afford a house when your two younger brothers will be renting for life?

If they are as miserable as you say then why not let them live with you??

There is a 15yr age gap between us. I have a family and so do they now. But the rift it's put on the family relationship is clearly there to see. They are bitter that I had cheap affordable housing back in 1999, sadly they were still at school.

I feel so sorry for them and fellow work colleagues who simply haven't got a cat in hells chance of getting onto the property ladder.

But don't worry eventually the bubble will burst. Remember what goes around, always....always comes around....ALWAYS!

Nobody gets through this life holding all the Aces, Nobody, that's why it's called Fate. Take Greed and Misery will follow...it always does in one form or another.

Guest makapaka

I agree to an extent although i would limit it to one additional property so people have an element of flexibility to keep one house on if moving in with a partner or for whatever reason.

Anything else I would tax at significant percentages to either generate income for new homes or to dissuade people from buying up property to rent to others.

I agree up to a point.

House prices are falling if that's any consolation, and quite a few are available in Sheffield at approx 4 x the average wage, which is about the same ratio I first bought at, back in the 70's.

However our first home was a wreck and in a rough area. We had second hand furniture and orange boxes as bedside tables. But it didn't matter and we had fun doing it up. These days kids seem to want it all, straight away.

Also remember a second property is a pension plan for many people since the pension market crashed and interest rates on savings fell to almost 0%

So, assuming you have parents (apologies if you don't) you'd be quite happy to be taxed 90% of its value or taken away by the state once nature takes its course (so to speak)? You could give it to a work colleague I suppose!

There is a 15yr age gap between us. I have a family and so do they now. But the rift it's put on the family relationship is clearly there to see. They are bitter that I had cheap affordable housing back in 1999, sadly they were still at school.

I feel so sorry for them and fellow work colleagues who simply haven't got a cat in hells chance of getting onto the property ladder.

But don't worry eventually the bubble will burst. Remember what goes around, always....always comes around....ALWAYS!

Nobody gets through this life holding all the Aces, Nobody, that's why it's called Fate. Take Greed and Misery will follow...it always does in one form or another.

Yes cheap affordable housing in 1999 that you benefited from those suffering the misery of the property crash at the beginning of the 90s who previously got their property break from a mixture of either right to buy or previous property crashes during the 80s

Property prices always rise and fall. That's life.

Generations have been through this and there has always been those in each one willing to scrimp save and sacrifice to take that break and others who prepared to sit there on their backsides waiting for it to be handed to them on a plate.

Yes it is tough for the current generation to get on the property Ladder but that doesn't mean it's impossible nor does it mean that a generation previous have not face similar hurdles. Plenty of people in the current generation have managed to do it but I also know plenty of others who match what you describe, bitter and angry looking to blame someone else for not getting on the ladder.

Not a new phenomenon. People think they have it tough now perhaps they should go back 30 years when the mortgage interest rates through the roof and the listening bank well and truly closed their ears to those unfortunate enough to default on them.

It must be a sign of getting old but i have started to notice more and more how every generation seems to think that they are having it the toughest against the previous ones like a rolling cycle.

Property is always expensive and house purchases are always the biggest thing many of us will ever have to buy. This is not a new story.

When there is high demand prices go up when there is no demand they go down round and round it goes

Edited by ECCOnoob

I agree up to a point.

House prices are falling if that's any consolation, and quite a few are available in Sheffield at approx 4 x the average wage, which is about the same ratio I first bought at, back in the 70's.

However our first home was a wreck and in a rough area. We had second hand furniture and orange boxes as bedside tables. But it didn't matter and we had fun doing it up. These days kids seem to want it all, straight away.

Also remember a second property is a pension plan for many people since the pension market crashed and interest rates on savings fell to almost 0%

You hit the nail on the head.....Pension!

So, how do the tenants get round the pension problem too?

I guess your answer is "that's their problem" right??

And therein lies the problem.....greed. You've just contradicted yourself by saying they all want it now! Yet your doing exactly that with your pension pot 20-30yrs before you even hit retirement age!

Again, it comes down to greed

Money, or the love of it really is the most revolting thing on earth, it drives one man to to make another suffer a life of misery and for what, so that he lie awake at night knowing he's got a safe passage to his death...because that's exactly what it boils down too.

I've seen first hand exactly how repulsive greed can be. But fact is one day you will be on your deathbed gasping the last few breaths and in that split second as you exit this world for the next the realisation of just how pointless money - or greed is what it really is - will make you reflect on not just a wasted life but hopefully others lives you consumed along the way.

Greed - a revolting disease

You hit the nail on the head.....Pension!

So, how do the tenants get round the pension problem too?

I guess your answer is "that's their problem" right??

And therein lies the problem.....greed. You've just contradicted yourself by saying they all want it now! Yet your doing exactly that with your pension pot 20-30yrs before you even hit retirement age!

Again, it comes down to greed

Money, or the love of it really is the most revolting thing on earth, it drives one man to to make another suffer a life of misery and for what, so that he lie awake at night knowing he's got a safe passage to his death...because that's exactly what it boils down too.

I've seen first hand exactly how repulsive greed can be. But fact is one day you will be on your deathbed gasping the last few breaths and in that split second as you exit this world for the next the realisation of just how pointless money - or greed is what it really is - will make you reflect on not just a wasted life but hopefully others lives you consumed along the way.

Greed - a revolting disease

so really you want every one to be in social housing