Did Ansell's brewery have any pubs in Sheffield?

The brewery was based in Birmingham they did have a few pubs in south Derbyshire non in Chesterfield but were their any pubs in Sheffield?

The brewery was based in Birmingham they did have a few pubs in south Derbyshire non in Chesterfield but were their any pubs in Sheffield?

Further to that, did 'Hammond's' have pubs, I only recall off-licences and where were they from ?

Other localish breweries were Shipptons of Nottinghamshire , Mansfield brewery ( Pike a Heron , Tinsley was one of their houses ) Hammond' s don't know anything about their history but have seen it advertised in old photos. Robinson's of Manchester but seen it's rival Boddington's in and around Sheffield over the years.

Other localish breweries were Shipptons of Nottinghamshire , Mansfield brewery ( Pike a Heron , Tinsley was one of their houses ) Hammond' s don't know anything about their history but have seen it advertised in old photos. Robinson's of Manchester but seen it's rival Boddington's in and around Sheffield over the years.

The 'Pike and Heron' is the only pub I recall (could be wrong) that 'Mansfield Brewery' had in Sheffield, although their beer was in a lot of W.M.Clubs and yes 'Shipstone's' of Nottingham, they had a few pubs in the Grimsby-Cleethorpes area. 'Higson's' of Liverpool who seemed to have only one pub here, the 'King's Arms' on Commercial Street. Seemed along way to deliver from Merseyside for one Sheffield pub !

Edited by stpetre
Add

I believe that Hammonds had some Pubs in Sheffield. Byron House at Nether Edge I think was one.

Further to that, did 'Hammond's' have pubs, I only recall off-licences and where were they from ?

The Station Hotel on Westgate in Rotherham was a Hammond's house in the 60's . Changed it's name a few times since then, can't imagine Hammonds still being around, horrible stuff. However it was a lot of fun in there on the weekends good groups on and lot's of scraps lol, I think there were other Hammonds pubs but not sure where, exactly

Hammonds was a Rotherham Brewery and had many Pubs in Rotherham.

They joined up with Hope & Anchor brewery of Sheffield, became Hammonds United brewery and then Charringtons of London. Aterwhich Bass, to be known as Bass Charrington. Today Im not sure who or what they are called

---------- Post added 03-07-2016 at 05:21 ----------

Also taking in Stones Brewery on the way

The Sportsman in Crosspool was a Mansfield house. I think there was a Hammonds house in Ranmoor. Just up the road towards Fulwood from the Ranmoor Inn - forgotten its name.

They joined up with Hope & Anchor brewery of Sheffield, became Hammonds United brewery and then Charringtons of London. Aterwhich Bass, to be known as Bass Charrington. Today Im not sure who or what they are called

Out of all that you mention, believe there is on 'Bass' left and (from what I read) even their 'Bass Ale' while still brewed in Burton on Trent, but by ' Marston's'...sad I know !

---------- Post added 03-07-2016 at 12:30 ----------

Thank you and wasn't 'Bentley's' a Rotherham brewery ?

And of course Stones had , years earlier, taken over another Rotherham brewery i.e. Mappins

Other Birmingham breweries were M&B (Mitchell and Butler) and Davenport's ('Beer at Home'.). Not sure if the former had pubs in north Derbyshire but used to see the latter delivering in Staveley, Bolsover, Renishaw and Eckington areas in mid-'60s. I heard Davenport's wasn't up to much either.

Iv heard of Mitchell and Butler they still are in business mostly as a pubco. Most brewery's were merged in the end making it hard to understand who owns what. So far it seems Ansells didn't make it this far up North. I went to Ilkeston yesterday noticed a couple of derelict pubs with the Ansells signs so wounded if they had any pubs in Sheffield. For what Iv read Ansell's mild was very popular with the customers.