Freedom Of Speech.

The other day David Cameron was on the television saying in a democratic country like Britain everybody was entitled to free speech.Who,s he trying to kid,if people said exactly what they thought most of them would be jailed?

There are very few subjects on which you don't have freedom of speech. The only thing you could do that would result in jail would be incitement to violence or other similar offences (such as making bomb threats).

And given that most people don't have such hateful thoughts that they would incite others to commit violence, most people certainly wouldn't be jailed. I don't feel like I've ever been unable to say something for fear of prosecution.

Like I said on the Clarkson thread.

It comes to something when elements of the UK society hold up the likes of Clarkson and Farage as some kind of working class heroes, which are both most definitely not and their actions are seen as an acceptable loutish way of getting one over the establishment. They are the establishment, up there in the public eye and should know better. The perception that they can do and say what they want without having to face the music as you and I would is the reason that the old British spirit of playing with a straight bat and justice for all is now considered a universal joke and the reason the UK is becoming more isolated.

People seem to think that speaking your mind is now a green light to insult and personally abuse other people hence the rise of such repulsive characters such as Katy Hopkins and Myleene Klass etc. Telling it as they see it is not an excusable free pass to put down or belittle others; it’s just a more fashionable word for bullying and because the UK public see such public figures acting like that they think it’s acceptable behaviour, which it most certainly isn’t. Some people are even foolish enough to copy their behaviour. All it does is drive away your friends, suppliers and customers and that’s not the way to get a head in the world. Nobody can ever do it all on their own; people will always need other people.

Cameron's response to the Charlie Hebdo murders was hypocritical in the extreme, saying that we were defending our "cherished tradition" of free speech.

Free speech? We used to have it but haven't had it for donkey's years. Every year there is another word we aren't allowed to say as it becomes, in that slimiest of pc phrases, "inappropriate".

The other day David Cameron was on the television saying in a democratic country like Britain everybody was entitled to free speech.Who,s he trying to kid,if people said exactly what they thought most of them would be jailed?

Dont speak for me please. I can say exactly what i want and i wont get arrested. I do have 100% freedom of speech.

Cameron's response to the Charlie Hebdo murders was hypocritical in the extreme, saying that we were defending our "cherished tradition" of free speech.

Free speech? We used to have it but haven't had it for donkey's years. Every year there is another word we aren't allowed to say as it becomes, in that slimiest of pc phrases, "inappropriate".

What do you want to say but feel you can't? Does it break forum rules but not british law?

Freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one's opinion publicly without fear of censorship or punishment.

Which means your freedom of speech is determined by your opinions, if you hold the wrong opinions you are not free to voice them publicly without fear of censorship or punishment.

If you hold the right opinions then you do have freedom to voice them publicly without fear of censorship or punishment.

Freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one's opinion publicly without fear of censorship or punishment.

Which means your freedom of speech is determined by your opinions, if you hold the wrong opinions you are not free to voice them publicly without fear of censorship or punishment.

If you hold the right opinions then you do have freedom to voice them publicly without fear of censorship or punishment.

Who decides which is right or wrong,everybody has different opinions.

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 15:52 ----------

Totally agree.

Can you provide a list of words that are illegal or you somehow can't say anymore? (Of course you can't, because there aren't any). :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 15:57 ----------

Can you give an example of an opinion that is somehow illegal to speak out loud? (As opposed to actually trying to incite someone to a specific behaviour, which could be illegal).

Who decides which is right or wrong,everybody has different opinions.

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 15:52 ----------

Totally agree.

The government decides which opinions are wrong and suppress then by using threats of punishment, and by doing so they end the right to free speech.

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 16:18 ----------

Can you provide a list of words that are illegal or you somehow can't say anymore? (Of course you can't, because there aren't any). :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 15:57 ----------

Can you give an example of an opinion that is somehow illegal to speak out loud? (As opposed to actually trying to incite someone to a specific behaviour, which could be illegal).

Yes I can but they can't be posted on here or said out loud in a public place because doing so would result in prosecution or a ban.

Can you provide a list of words that are illegal or you somehow can't say anymore? (Of course you can't, because there aren't any).

You can indeed say anything you want - and get a visit to the cells afterwards. :D

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 16:23 ----------

What do you want to say but feel you can't? Does it break forum rules but not british law?

Probably both.

I was speaking to someone from my old place of work last week and he had been given a telling off for saying the word "blouse". Hope I'm not in trouble with the mods now.

Edited by Harrystottle

The government decides which opinions are wrong and suppress then by using threats of punishment, and by doing so they end the right to free speech.

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 16:18 ----------

Yes I can but they can't be posted on here or said out loud in a public place because doing so would result in prosecution or a ban.

There are certainly words that the forum won't appreciate you using. But there are no illegal words.

Feel free to PM a list of illegal words though and I will retract my statement.

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 16:28 ----------

This looks a lot like the thread about the word gollywog, all it needs now is someone to insist that saying the word, even in the context of saying the word, is offensive, and it will be identical.

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 16:28 ----------

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1377634&highlight=gollywog

For reference.