1939 England and Wales Register- Free Today

1939 England and Wales Register is fee on Ancestry.co.uk today only.

You can search by name or area.

You have to register but not to hand over any bank details.

The 1939 census was a special war census.

Contains address, name, DOB, occupation.

Some additions include married name, SB and police information.

Mods:

Please remove this post on Monday 14th May

I've always been intrigued by this Ancestry thing. To progress through it do you have to input specific details yourself, like the name of your great great grandfather, etc? because if you already know these things then what is the point of the site?

I've always been intrigued by this Ancestry thing. To progress through it do you have to input specific details yourself, like the name of your great great grandfather, etc? because if you already know these things then what is the point of the site?

No point at all, it's just a hobby.

All you get is a massive database of information about dead people and a bit about living cousins.

Accuracy is not guaranteed either- lots of lies.

You might even land relatives in trouble with the law because you have registered your DNA.

Finding out that your ancestor built some insignificant bit of the Titanic, or another held the clipper record to New Zealand for a while.

Finding out that the shop you saw in Whitby was your gg grandfathers.

That you find out what your grandfather actually did on the Banana Boat off Texas for two years.

A distant uncle with no descendants- buried and commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Absolutely pointless and it will the story will never be finished.

Pointless I guess but interesting for those who like to explore history and particularly their family history. It's a productive hobby which I love to do for myself and others. I find it fascinating.

The 1931 cencus details collected were destroyed during WW2 and there wasn't a 1941 census because of WW2 so the 1939 register is the only snapshot of those living in this country around the time of WW2.

Edited by Daven