Dave Hurst - or maybe Hirst? - ex Todwick

During the '60s, my best mate Dave lived on Osborne Drive in Todwick, along with a younger brother and sister, and their parents.

As things tend to do, we drifted apart when we started dating/working/usual stuff, and finally lost touch.

Some years ago I heard that his younger sister - whose name escapes me, I'm afraid - married a local lad and (perhaps) managed to get a house on Goosecarr Lane on the outskirts of the village.

Dave would be touching 70 now, and I often wonder what became of him?

All good, I hope.

Maybe you know?

Edit : Strange how these things occur! Just nodding off last night, with absolutely nothing to do with the above on my mind, and Dave's sister's name came to me - Jane!

(I think!)

There weren't many teenagers in the village at the time - I remember a Jacqueline(sp?) Turner, a Christine who lived with her (Polish?) dad, and a brother and sister pair, Pat(ricia) and Lyndsay Brufton.

Edited by RiffRaff
Additional info

Over 300 views, but nobody with any info!

Guess he must've moved out of the area, perhaps many years ago of course.

Views most likely down to him sharing the same name as a Sheffield Wednesday legend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hirst_(footballer)

Indeed so.

Met him a few times when he used to nip up to Brunsmeer's ground to help the kids out. Both DH and the God that is Chris Waddle.

CW's playing days were over by this time, but he could still shift!

The Hirst family lived a few doors from me . Mr & Mrs Hirst passed on, I don't know what happened to the boys but the last I heard Jane lived on Kiveton Lane with her husband & family.

The Hirst family lived a few doors from me . Mr & Mrs Hirst passed on, I don't know what happened to the boys but the last I heard Jane lived on Kiveton Lane with her husband & family.

Thanks for your response, Jean J.

I realised that the seniors would probably not be with us any more - it's all such a long time ago now!

My parents used to live on Osborne Road, whereas Dave's family had the end bungalow on the Drive. During the late 70's they moved to a house on The Pastures, but my mum used to bump into Mrs.Hirst on occasion, probably in the post office/shop - I presume that how my mum knew about Jane's wedding.

At the time I'm remembering, there wasn't much to do for teenagers in the village, so you can imagine the excitement when Dave and I managed to get tickets to see the Stones at the Odeon (or Gaumont?) in Sheffield, and later Jimi Hendrix at the City Hall!

The quandary I had was to spend £1/12/6 on a near-front row ticket or to buy a new pair of Lee Rider jeans!

Pleased to say that Hendrix won!