Buddy Holly died on 3 February

Tomorrow (3 February) marks the 53rd anniversary of "The day the music died": the aeroplane crash in which Buddy Holly died (as did The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens). Consider this: he was 22 years old, and had been a recording artist for less than three years, yet his effect on pop music reverberates over half a century later. How many other 22-year-olds have ever had such a lasting impact? Rave on!

See http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Buddy_Holly#Death

• Like 1

It was 54yrs. ago this week.

Who's ever heard of any other pop musicians with that timeless effect?

Lot's of people have. Of the original rock'n'roll generation Holly is hardly alone to still be remembered. Elvis, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry et al are still remembered. Hank Marvin's name is currently being used in a TV ad. The 60s and 70s ones are remembered too and even moreso. Bowie released a new single a couple of weeks ago and it was a lead item on the news. Hendrix, Beatles, Stones, and tons of people from that time are in and out of the news regularly. The 50s, 60s and 70s are on a constant nostalgia loop.

Bye Bye Miss American Pie,

Took my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry,

Those good ole boys drinking whisky and rye

Singing that'll be the day that I die,

That'll be the day that I die

Big Bopper, Richie Valens, Buddy Holly. The day the music died

Rest in Peace. You were missed

• Like 1

The point about Buddy Holly was his very short recording career, as compared to the likes of Elvis and the others mentioned. He did have a great influence out of all proportion to the length of time he was making his music.

I still love just about everything he ever recorded.

• Like 1

It was 54yrs. ago this week.

We could talk about Cliff.Maybe not.:rolleyes:

The point about Buddy Holly was his very short recording career, as compared to the likes of Elvis and the others mentioned. He did have a great influence out of all proportion to the length of time he was making his music.

That's my point, which (I regret) LeMaquis overlooks.

• Like 1

Lot's of people have. Of the original rock'n'roll generation Holly is hardly alone to still be remembered. Elvis, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry et al are still remembered. Hank Marvin's name is currently being used in a TV ad. The 60s and 70s ones are remembered too and even moreso. Bowie released a new single a couple of weeks ago and it was a lead item on the news. Hendrix, Beatles, Stones, and tons of people from that time are in and out of the news regularly. The 50s, 60s and 70s are on a constant nostalgia loop.
Think you're missing the point!

Tomorrow (3 February) marks the 53rd anniversary of "The day the music died": the aeroplane crash in which Buddy Holly died (as did The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens). Consider this: he was 22 years old, and had been a recording artist for less than three years, yet his effect on pop music reverberates over half a century later. How many other 22-year-olds have ever had such a lasting impact? Rave on!

See http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Buddy_Holly#Death

Think it over!

I would have said.

We could talk about Cliff.Maybe not.:rolleyes:

Great idea lets not talk about cliff.

Even to today Buddy Holly's music sounds great. Brings back many happy memories

• Like 1