Where can i buy silica gel bags? for wet phone

as above, preferable locally, read it can help to cover phone in silica gel bags to dry out internal parts, etc.

Best of using IPA to displace the water and quicker the better, otherwise the water will be sat there for a while doing damage and also any salts in the water will be left behind to corrode away the board.

Not sure where you could get some locally though.

Silica gel could be had from lightweight cat litter. Used it before to make water glass. Maybe you could use that if you still intend too

Edited by MrRobot

as above, preferable locally, read it can help to cover phone in silica gel bags to dry out internal parts, etc.

I've heard of people putting wet phones in rice

I've heard of people putting wet phones in rice

and if the rice fixes it, it will die eventually, unless you're really lucky. Ask any person who repairs water damaged phones and they will tell you to use 99.9 IPA or bring it in asap.

The rice is not going to remove any salts and it will lead to problems.

It totally depends what it was dropped in....

If it was just water (the purer the better) then you may be ok,

but juice, coffee, other things - there's all sorts of sugars and other things that can gunk up and cause problems..

It honestly needs stripping down, bathing in ISOPropyl, drying off and reassembling to guarantee it'll work...

RICE may work, but as said above, don't be surprised if it dies within a few months...

I wouldn't us IPA but drink it.. :hihi:

Wrap the phone in a paper towel and place it in a box with some borax in and then put it in a warm place for a few days, much better than rice. If you fancy you can then use the box to make dried flowers with.

BTW the person who made that video does not seem to understand how resistors or capacitors work.. A partial short across a resistor, a capacitor has one foot on ground.. WTF!

Edited by apelike

Wrap the phone in a paper towel and place it in a box with some borax in and then put it in a warm place for a few days, much better than rice. If you fancy you can then use the box to make dried flowers with.

same issue though, the point is you need to 'wash' the device through to remove any residue, salts, chlorine etc, otherwise it will dry and work - but will slowly corrode, remove all the residue and it doesn't corrode, isopropyl will do that, and evaporate fully....

Huwei P8 lite 2017, week old, bought new for a change for the two year guarantee, now that is down the pan, fell in bucket of bleach water, then rinsed pronto in my clean bath water. It is working fine now, screen clear, etc there was no water coming out when i shook it originally, but yes, it is later that the problems occur, like many now then it is hard to get the battery off.

same issue though, the point is you need to 'wash' the device through to remove any residue, salts, chlorine etc, otherwise it will dry and work - but will slowly corrode, remove all the residue and it doesn't corrode, isopropyl will do that, and evaporate fully....

Sorry I though IPA was Indian Pale Ale...:)

I think that depends a lot on what type of water it is dropped in as with most you certainly would not get a build up of corrosive salts or residue when dried. Circuit boards are coated anyway so they are very unlikely to suffer from corrosion, the main damage would be from turning on a wet phone. Just to point out that isopropyl also is potentially corrosive in the sense that it also contains water.

This just seems a scam perpetrated by so called iPhone fixers who will charge a premium for doing something that is not really necessary.

Edited by apelike

BTW the person who made that video does not seem to understand how resistors or capacitors work.. A partial short across a resistor, a capacitor has one foot on ground.. WTF!

She is doing well to say she doesn't know what she is doing...seems to know more than you.

She is doing well to say she doesn't know what she is doing...seems to know more than you.

As a trained and qualified electronic engineer I can tell you that she seems to know little about how capacitors or resistors work, hence my comments on about her saying a capacitor has one foot grounded and a resistor is shorted because she heard a beep!

I wouldn't want her repairing anything of mine.

Of course she will hear a beep. You will get a short beep as the capacitors charge with the voltage from the meter. then whilst she is checking the other end of the capacitor, the charge leaks away, so by the time she checks the next cap the charge has either gone or nearly gone, in time to take a recharge from the next test.

You can only properly check a capacitor by removing it from circuit.

Whilst nitpicking her technique, let's mention that depending what range she has the meter on, she could be applying 9V to devices designed for less.

I also like how she knows better than the designers whether or not components in the circuit are needed, and just removes them with no replacement. She talks of using parts out of 'donor' phones - which could be damaged or aged. Why not just buy spare caps?