Bunkers around South Yorkshire

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find some Bunkers in South Yorkshire abandoned and still exists thanks in advance

Edited by Paul dicko

I know of some in an area of SY that I could not see listed on the website.

They are just beyond Lowfield Road Bolton-upon-Dearne.

As you get to the very bottom of Lowfield road where it termininates, there is shrubland/rough ground off to the right hand side.

There are several of these air raid shelters dotted about. They are not easy to see from the road. (Probably even harder to see from above). Put a pair of wellies in the car and have a walk over. It is quite a while since I was in the area.

If you go on Google Street view you can see the rough ground* to the right where Lowfield road terminates.

There’s one down in Eckington Woods. Me and my mate failed to find it a few years ago but I know people who have been successful since!

There’s one down in Eckington Woods. Me and my mate failed to find it a few years ago but I know people who have been successful since!

Here you go:

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/industrial-sites/30792-engine-house-moss-valley-sheffield-march-2015-a.html#.WlC7jFW6-ig

Wouldn't it have been awesome if they hadn't filled in the hole in the road, just covered it, and the basement shop entrances and tunnels were all still there!

There's several on the old Norton Aerodrome

Here you go:

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/industrial-sites/30792-engine-house-moss-valley-sheffield-march-2015-a.html#.WlC7jFW6-ig

Wouldn't it have been awesome if they hadn't filled in the hole in the road, just covered it, and the basement shop entrances and tunnels were all still there!

Thanks for the link - fascinating web site!

I've been down the one listed as Rossington many years ago for work, with its then owner. He was a lovely, if somewhat eccentric chap.

Back then it was still in a good condition and you could have imagined what a desperate situation we'd have been in globally if it was being used for it's intended monitoring purposes.

Such a shame to see from pictures in the above links what a state it's in now.

The large bunker in York which is now owned and managed by English Heritage is a fantastic example of the type of regional command centre that would have run all those tiny Royal Observer Corps out posts should the big red buttons ever been pressed.

Can thoroughly recommend a visit to the big one in York if modern history is your thing, it was a fascinating trip. But also absolutely frightening to think about how little would have been left of the world outside those bunkers if the cold war had of eruppted into nuclear strikes.

Makes you genuinely hope Trump and North Korea never actually kick off.

I used to play in them as a kid :D memories eh ;)

The Eckington Woods bunker was set up as a decoy.... so that it would be the target for bombers, not Sheffield.

Theres Several on the Renishaw Golf Course. :hihi: