Tenant Can’t Pay The Rent

My tenant has been in the property for three months and during this time the rent has always been on time. I have today received an email to say due to unforeseen circumstances they cannot pay the rent for December and can only pay a part payment.

They are asking if I am willing to take the rent from the deposit that is held in a government bond scheme. They would then like to pay extra over the remainder of the tenancy to make up the shortfall.

I know at the end of the agreement you can deduct any loss but I’m sure you can’t do it during.

I am trying to come to some compromise but at the same time I don’t want this to become a regular occurrence because at the end of the day I also have overheads and cannot be paying the rent for them.

I have requested that they approach family for help, if that fails then pay as much as they can by December and the remainder by January.

They were credit checked and I got references from former landlords, all came back ok.

Stuck as to what to do as I’ve been walked over before in this situation but been out of the game for a long time.

........looks like you have not been out of the game long enough!

Have you watched "Can't pay won't pay take it away" on TV?

Stop it before it starts. Tell them they are in breech of contract and if they cant pay you will have to give notice to leave a.s.p. as you have some one else wanting to move in .

Get rid any way as soon as poss anyway be firm

Lots of tenants hate landlords holding bonds but its there for a reason

Edited by spider1

They are asking if I am willing to take the rent from the deposit that is held in a government bond scheme. They would then like to pay extra over the remainder of the tenancy to make up the shortfall.

You actually don't have much control over what comes out of the security deposit, simply because it's held by a third party and they decide who gets what.

The polite/professional answer to their question is:

"I am sorry but as the security deposit is held by a third party I cannot make assurances for money I have no control over"

(or words to that effect)

You actually don't have much control over what comes out of the security deposit, simply because it's held by a third party and they decide who gets what.

The polite/professional answer to their question is:

"I am sorry but as the security deposit is held by a third party I cannot make assurances for money I have no control over"

(or words to that effect)

Am afraid they are going to have to be a bit stronger than that but it would help to start with i guess . Show any sign of weakness or worst still compromise youve lost :roll:

Just seen your sign in verona / a woman landlady bit hard for you to get tough send your boyfriend round have a word

Edited by spider1

It sounds like they fancy a good Christmas, but at your expense?

hahaha straight onto the backs of those renters.

they could be dodgy, but then they couldve been in the same boat as me currently.

Ive just been made redundent for the second time this year, by the same company. The rent and bills are paid up to the end of the month, BUT i dont have any money bar £180 left in my ISA, im due to get paid the outstanding pay from the work for 3 weeks of the month, not sure when or how much tbh. it may afford another month of bills...maybe.

after that?

currently no money

no job as yet, applied for about 15, now the waiting game.

no benefit as yet, could take a couple of days to fill in the very now complicated online form, then wait, then interview, then could be a 6 week? wait for the newfangled universal credit to come through.

not everybodys out to get one over, there IS good reasons why as well

Stop it before it starts. Tell them they are in breech of contract and if they cant pay you will have to give notice to leave a.s.p. as you have some one else wanting to move in

Not "Notice to Leave" but a Notice under s.8 of the Housing Act 1988 on grounds 8/10/11 or some of these as applicable.

I know at the end of the agreement you can deduct any loss but I’m sure you can’t do it during.

I am trying to come to some compromise but at the same time I don’t want this to become a regular occurrence because at the end of the day I also have overheads and cannot be paying the rent for them.

They seem like honest people, it will get very costly for both sides if they dont pay, at less than 2% interest rates, one month late is not important.

They seem like honest people, it will get very costly for both sides if they dont pay, at less than 2% interest rates, one month late is not important.

Agreed but were will it stop you simply cant say okay to them . Every effort must be made to make them pay it happens all the time .Different if you know the tenants though you can cut them some slack . The tenants are corresponding by E/ Mail this is no good if they wont come and speak to you personally you got bad tenants :suspect: Some advice if you want to call a 6 foot 6inch giant an idiot call it him over the phone or e/ m him

Edited by spider1

Thanks for the replies folks. I wasn’t prepared to be walked over again. I basically gave them the ultimatum by saying I can’t pay your rent for you, either pay it or I will begin proceedings to have you evicted, well words to that effect.

Amazingly they have found the money to pay the rent and tell me it was a misunderstanding on their part. I do think they were trying it on to have some extra cash for Xmas. I’ll have to see how it goes over the coming months.

Thanks for the replies folks. I wasn’t prepared to be walked over again. I basically gave them the ultimatum by saying I can’t pay your rent for you, either pay it or I will begin proceedings to have you evicted, well words to that effect.

Amazingly they have found the money to pay the rent and tell me it was a misunderstanding on their part. I do think they were trying it on to have some extra cash for Xmas. I’ll have to see how it goes over the coming months.

Good for you and they wont do it again you sorted them :roll: