Growing up on the Ballifield estate in the 60's

Anyone grow up on the Ballifield estate 1950's/60's

I lived on Handsworth Grange Crescent from 1960 till 1975, my parents still live there. I went to Beaver Hill.

I lived at Swallownest during the years stated, but my cousins lived at 87 Handsworth Grange Road - Christine and Michael Brooks - parents were Hilda and Kenneth Brooks. Next door to them lived David Walker with his parents.

All went to Ballifield School and now aged almost 70

From Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya, Malaysia

I grew up on the Ballifield in the 60's at 118 Handsworth Grange Rd Mick Brooks, Les Edmonds, Dave Walker, and Stuart Bray were mates of mine. We all went in the Everest pub.

hi,little tug

still see stuart bray went on a few holidays together and still goes to butlins rock n blues played cricket for handsworth st josephs and he still comes over for a drink at low drop what name would he know you by.

Hi John,

This is pete carr,hope all ok, will let stuart know you have been in touch so watch this space.

Hi there Slotter 47 and Little tug,

John Parker (David Parker's little brother) here. I remember you both well. I know John that you and Pat are living in New Zealand where our David saw you a couple of years ago. Any plans to visit Ballifield...before it's too late!

Peter, I was only thinking of you the other week. Years and years since I've seen you. Very funny man, very DRY. I now live in Pwllheli on the north west Welsh coast. Where are you now? I assume that you are retired being a few years older than me, and Im retired.

Hi John,

Good to hear from you after all this time,i am retired still in sheffield,seem to recall one or two nights at embassy and tiffanys along the way hope you are well and david too.

Hi Little Tug and Slotter 47,

Slotter 47? Where does that come from? 47 - year of your birth? Slotter, though!

Anyway, what do you mean little Tug, are you saying that they are pulliing down the estate? Why?

Ballifield is/was BY FAR the best council estate anywhere and as a cop I saw many a council estate. Do you know, I was in CID at Hackenthorpe Police Station from 1981-85 and from there we covered Ballifield, Woodhouse, Handsworth, Beighton not to mention Arbourthorne, Manor and Gleadless etc. etc. ....and ONLY ONCE did I personally have to attend the Ballifield estate in an official capacity. Some unfortunate on Ballifield Road had had his house burgled. Ballifield, from a work perspective, just never cropped up in conversations/discussions. A great estate and a lot of good p[eople lived on it. ARE THEY PULLING IT DOWN?

Hi Slotter 47,

Pete have you heard of this, about pulling the estate down I mean? I know THEY HAVE demolished the old Handsworth Infants School. I saw that when I drove past a year or so ago. What a shame.

Pete, you ought (seeing as how you are retired AND still live locally) to organise some sort of re-union at the Everest for all the lads (and lasses) of that era. That would be great - well, I think so!