One cup kettle?

The Breville Hot Cup offers boiling hot water at the touch of a button to deliver delicious hot drinks in an instant. Its patented design means you only boil one cup at a time saving time, money and energy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breville-VKJ142-Hot-Cup-1-One-Cup-Boiling-Hot-Water-Dispenser-Kettle-Fast-Boil/122789810601?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D03751d425e244be58f51af8b31d708af%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D182985726907&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

I always boil at least 2 cups for every one cup; anyone got one of these?

Is there more than one brand of kettle?

Used to have a girlfriend who's dad, who was minted, used to measure cups into the kettle depending how many he was making. Hated boiling a bit too much, it cost money for nowt... No wonder he was minted...

Used to have a girlfriend who's dad, who was minted, used to measure cups into the kettle depending how many he was making. Hated boiling a bit too much, it cost money for nowt... No wonder he was minted...

My sister just boils the minimum amount; but these kettles are a different kettle of fish.

They seem to have more power, but do they use less electric.

A little bit of working out.... you can raise water from 20C to 100C at the rate of 10ml/sec for a 3kW heater. So for a 250ml cup, it's going to be a half minute to fill it up.

The Breville Hot Cup offers boiling hot water at the touch of a button to deliver delicious hot drinks in an instant. Its patented design means you only boil one cup at a time saving time, money and energy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breville-VKJ142-Hot-Cup-1-One-Cup-Boiling-Hot-Water-Dispenser-Kettle-Fast-Boil/122789810601?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D03751d425e244be58f51af8b31d708af%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D182985726907&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

I always boil at least 2 cups for every one cup; anyone got one of these?

Is there more than one brand of kettle?

My sister has one of these. In fact, they're on the second one after the man fitting their kitchen managed to kill the first one by unknown means.

They like it. It's certainly fast and convenient to be able to press the button and walk away then come back to a mug of boiling water.

However, my favourite mug is about 1 and a half measures of water, which is a pain in the bum to measure out, and filling up a pan of hot water for cooking involves pressing the button half a dozen times and waiting while it dispenses each cupful, which would irritate me if it was mine full time.

My sister has one of these. In fact, they're on the second one after the man fitting their kitchen managed to kill the first one by unknown means.

They like it. It's certainly fast and convenient to be able to press the button and walk away then come back to a mug of boiling water.

However, my favourite mug is about 1 and a half measures of water, which is a pain in the bum to measure out, and filling up a pan of hot water for cooking involves pressing the button half a dozen times and waiting while it dispenses each cupful, which would irritate me if it was mine full time.

There is a more expensive version that allows you to adjust the volume dispensed each time, apparently upto a small teapot-full.

http://www.breville.co.uk/breakfast/hot-water-dispensers/hotcup-with-variable-dispense-gloss-black/VKJ318-01.html

Edited by cgksheff

My jug kettle requires 2.5 cups of water to cover the element.

The element is rated at 2.2kW

To boil 3 cups of water (675mL) takes 2 minutes 6 seconds.

Present cost of electricity 13.02 pence / kWH (including VAT)

Cost per second = 13.02/3600 = 0.0036167

Cost to boil 3 cups of water = 126 * 0.0036167 = 0.456 pence. ( Corrected, initial calculation was wrong )

Edited by Mikes10

£30 or £70 for a kettle?

£30 I might go for but £70 is a tad OTT.

My main concern would be... What would I use to rinse my rice off with? :hihi:

I've used a few of these. I always found that the water is never boiling.

I leave the teabag in for about five minutes to brew. But the tea was never as warm than if I'd used the kettle.

I've used a few of these. I always found that the water is never boiling.

I leave the teabag in for about five minutes to brew. But the tea was never as warm than if I'd used the kettle.

I had the same experience. These things work by passing the water over a thermoblock. The water is hot enough for coffee but not for a good cup of tea.

The thing didn't last long before it broke. At that point the environmental waste outweighed that of boiling a little too much each time in a conventional kettle.

If I was to buy another "instant boiling water" thing then I'd use a plumbed-in model which would be built to a proper quality.

£30 is overpriced for what that Breville thing is.

My jug kettle requires 2.5 cups of water to cover the element.

The element is rated at 2.2kW

To boil 3 cups of water (675mL) takes 2 minutes 6 seconds.

Present cost of electricty 13.02 pence / kWH (including VAT)

Cost per second = 13.02/3600 = 0.0036167

Cost to boil 3 cups of water = 186 * 0.0036167 = 0.673 pence.

So you might save a few tenths of a penny, but the thing costs you 20 quid more to buy in the first place :hihi::hihi::hihi:

All our kettle have a scale with number of cups up the side. Its easy to judge how full to fill it if you only have two or three different size cups or mugs as we do.