Why does the Council feel the need to enforce bus lanes on Xmas Day?

Originally Posted by diezeltruck

The signs could easily include "inc. Public or Bank Holidays."

That's incorrect as you should well know Planner1 if you were to carefully read the legislation you quote. Why are you posting false information?

TSRGD 2016, Schedule 3, Part 3 Item 8 clearly states a time period may be quoted on a supplementary plate beneath a blue circular sign such as is used in Sheffield.

Additionally, Diagram 959B, (Schedule 9, Part 4, Item 10), clearly permits that, "the time period may be varied." The permitted variants of this particular sign allow exactly the sort of sign which was authorised for use at various locations in Sheffield in 2015. The DfT's Traffic authorisations webpage, case 4226 refers. As a new poster, sadly I can't include the link.

Therefore there is NO legal reason why bus gate restrictions can't be relaxed on ANY day of the year, should SCC, for example, wish to prove they aren't anti-car.

It would seem that other members of the forum should not take Planner1's post as being the last word of traffic-related matters - he is clearly not always right.

This is all well and good, however, there is absolutely no need to change any signs. There is no need to even inform the public in any way that Xmas day bus lane infringement won't be prosecuted (but SCC could, if they so wished put the info on their website). The simplest, most straightforward thing to do would be to just not fine anyone.

Most people out and about on Xmas day won't be using bus lanes, there is after all not much traffic around. But for those who do for whatever reason, why not as a gesture of seasonal goodwill, just not fine them. No special signage needed, no campaigns required to inform the public. All that is needed is a bit of heart.

This is all well and good, however, there is absolutely no need to change any signs. There is no need to even inform the public in any way that Xmas day bus lane infringement won't be prosecuted (but SCC could, if they so wished put the info on their website). The simplest, most straightforward thing to do would be to just not fine anyone.

Most people out and about on Xmas day won't be using bus lanes, there is after all not much traffic around. But for those who do for whatever reason, why not as a gesture of seasonal goodwill, just not fine them. No special signage needed, no campaigns required to inform the public. All that is needed is a bit of heart.

I couldn't agree more.

Although...SCC...anti-car...need I say more...

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools - Douglas Bader.

But laws are for everyone. You cannot lawfully decide that some of 'em do not apply to you.

But laws are for everyone. You cannot lawfully decide that some of 'em do not apply to you.

I agree but the Bader quote refers to implementing and upholding laws, not to following them. I hope you will agree that puts a very different slant on it.

Nobody forced SCC to send out tickets from Christmas Day transgressions of absolutely no consequence to the traffic management purpose for which they were intended. They foolishly obeyed.

no one forced these people to drive in bus lanes.

as with speeding, if you don't want the fine don't do the crime

its really not that difficult

Guest makapaka

Absolutely - people need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Yes don't use bus lanes I agree, I never, do but when there are no buses running then why on earth can they not be used, cars are not holding buses up.

Guest makapaka
Yes don't use bus lanes I agree, I never, do but when there are no buses running then why on earth can they not be used, cars are not holding buses up.

Cos thems the rules.

Don’t bus lanes also allow taxis and bikes etc?

Cos thems the rules.

Don’t bus lanes also allow taxis and bikes etc?

So in the so called season of goodwill to all men , the council stick steadfastly to "cos thems the rules" even though there are no busses to hold up ? Surely they could cancel the restrictions on one day a year , or are they really desperate for the revenue ?

The council can however decide not to enforce laws that have no applicable reason to be enforced. :roll: