A teenager in the 60's.

I always feel so fortunate to have been a teenager in the 60's living in Sheffield. What more could we have wanted than places like the Mojo, where we danced to the best music ever & saw all the very best bands for a couple of quid. Then there was the fashion....the bellbottom Jeans, the leather coats, uni scarves, platform shoes, knee length boots (some times white) PVC rain coats & of course meeting our mates out side Peter Robinson's. We had it all didn't we?

remember chelsea girl on king st, for all our clothes. what a great shop it was.loved every minuet of the 60s

I have always said I feel blessed to have been a teenager in that special decade and still go to 60's music weekends,would love to hear your thoughts.

You are right mate the best era by far.Great music new found freedom make love not war is still my feelings today.

---------- Post added 13-02-2018 at 16:35 ----------

Best decade ever, Walk into a new job easily...buy house at good price....best music ever and still is......almost no crime....no drugs......great immigrants from West Indies.... no mobile phones.......Went to Majorca for 2 weeks at a cost of £16 for Hotel and £35 for the flight. The list is endless......................Great Times

So true what you could do with a small amount of money .I decided that at 22 I should settle down after sowing my wild oats through the sixties .It was now 1971 and I bought a house 3'500 quid and it was the first time I had some responsibilties in my life.I could not sleep because of all this debt ,I mean 3000 quid in debt.Now I wish I had bought half a dozen at that price.

I commenced my teens in 1960 and loved the whole experience, it was a great apprenticeship for the 1970’s, which for me was just a grown up 1960’s.

Someone mentioned The Searchers, well I participated in a very heavy drinking session with Eddie Rothe in Spain circa 15 years ago, god he can’t half put them away, a very nice guy, I can see why Jane McDonald fell for him.

I commenced my teens in 1960 and loved the whole experience, it was a great apprenticeship for the 1970’s, which for me was just a grown up 1960’s.

Someone mentioned The Searchers, well I participated in a very heavy drinking session with Eddie Rothe in Spain circa 15 years ago, god he can’t half put them away, a very nice guy, I can see why Jane McDonald fell for him.

Saw the searchers at Butlins the other year on a sixties weekend just before xmas and they were fabulous .They still have that great sound.Sixties weekends at butlins are brill all the old groups are there and still sounding as good as ever.Marmalade ,Vanity fair ,Hollies,Edison Lighthouse,Animals,Love Affair,Union Gap,Manfred Mann,The Dreamers,The Fortunes,Dave Berry.Amen Corner.Ivy League and many more all still doing their thing and sounding great.

Yes I started my teens 1960 best years of my life and best time to be a teenager . Great music and like mentioned groups are still on the go now . St Christophers on Sicey Ave and mojo club were my favourites

Yes I started my teens 1960 best years of my life and best time to be a teenager . Great music and like mentioned groups are still on the go now . St Christophers on Sicey Ave and mojo club were my favourites

Very true parky, I too was a regular at St. Christophers, I was 16 in 1960, bet our paths crossed at some point.

---------- Post added 14-02-2018 at 12:37 ----------

By the way, I got married at St. Christophers in 1967.

Yes padders you are a bit older than me I was13 in 1960 but st christophers was a fantastic venue . Bet our paths have crossed at sometime .

I was 17 in 1960 and Sinatra was the king as far as our gang was concerned we dressed like him , strutted our stuff like him and tried to sing like him .

The few of us who are still around still do:hihi:

Very true parky, I too was a regular at St. Christophers, I was 16 in 1960, bet our paths crossed at some point.

---------- Post added 14-02-2018 at 12:37 ----------

By the way, I got married at St. Christophers in 1967.

Me to saw the mersey beats there 2/6 to go in.

Sure St Christopher’s was on Bellhouse rd, opposite the club. It was when I saw Screaming Lord Sutch and Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, got their autographs on our arms and spent science lessons writing over them. We were the girls with the mucky arms!! Must have been 1964 ish, our last year at school

Use to go to the same schools as the Metcalfe twins who opened " The Ark" that was the old St Nat's church hall on Roebuck Road.

I was 17 in 1960 and Sinatra was the king as far as our gang was concerned we dressed like him , strutted our stuff like him and tried to sing like him .

The few of us who are still around still do:hihi:

I'm the same age as you Albert. My wife and I were on holiday touring New England when Sinatra died in '98. All the tv stations were broadcasting only Sinatra. It would have seemed much the same, I guess, when President Kennedy died in '63.

Edited by PeterR