Trying to help my son find a better job

The building industry is tremendously short of qualified tradesmen especially electricians, plumbers and bricklayers. People think that a person has to have a degree to get a job but instead young people need to think about learning a trade instead.

Yes I think there's very few Russian speaking brickies too, so that could be an advantage? ;)

Joking apart, I think you make a good point about learning a trade. I don't know if this lad has considered engineering, but there are some good apprenticeships going in Sheffield so I hear - and the good thing about that is some of these firms will pay for him to study to get a degree whilst working for them. That's very attractive when you think about it. A lot cheaper than going to University.

I really feel for the OP though. I've got 2 boys myself - one has just left home and gone to Uni. I only want the best for them both and I'm sure I'd be worried and wanting to intervene and help them if either of them find themselves unhappy at work in future years. Ultimately though, it has to come from them as others have said.

Good luck to the OP!

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone, he's still looking, but there is a lesson in it for him and me, he's got to realise that applying for more jobs can get you more chance, more offers of interviews. I've got to let go and just remind him that he has got abilities and qualifications that somebody wants.

And it helps to get onto the employment agencies, they have a big interest in getting the right person into a job.

He's got more potential interviews coming up.

If you have interest / aptitude can make lots of money trading stock market / cryptocurrency?

Ok, thank you, everyone, topic closed as far as I'm concerned, he's still looking, though.

And if the stock market comment was serious, remember the old dictum: "How do you make a small fortune on the stock market? Start with a big fortune."

Am actually not a spammer...

Spammers usually send links to things...

Sorry about that, RJMahan, yes, of course, no link. Obviously I apologise wholeheartedly.

I think the big problem would still be not having much money to start with. And it's gambling, to which we generally have objections in our family. I bought a car with the money I saved by not doing the lottery every week.

Sorry about that, RJMahan, yes, of course, no link. Obviously I apologise wholeheartedly.

I think the big problem would still be not having much money to start with. And it's gambling, to which we generally have objections in our family. I bought a car with the money I saved by not doing the lottery every week.

I wouldn't say its gambling but you do need to know what you are doing. Unless you really are experienced at investing in stocks and shares I think its a long term investment not something everyday folk can make their daily wage from. I would only suggest investing money you can afford to lose or to tie up for a long period of time. We made a large sum of money eighteen years ago but I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis. I found it really stressful trying to decide when your shares were worth top value and sell before they fell.