Firefox or Internet Explorer

Which browser do you use?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser do you use?

• Yes I use firefox and it is the greatest browser ever made
    • I use internet explorer, but i am scared of change
    • I use a different browser all together eg Opera

What browser does everyone use?

After trying FF i have made everyone i know use it, its faster cleaner and just generally works nicer than IE :)

http://www.getfirefox.com

i suggest EVERYONE tries just to see if they like it :)

whats the main differences between both?

Security. Firefox isn't full of security holes as IE is. It's also a better browser with more features which I use all the time. IE is a bit crap really, use Firefox, you won't go back.

I downloaded Firefox yesterday after hearing several recommendations. All seems well so far, however, I joined Plusnet Broadband yesterday (am currently on dial up :-( ) and I'm not sure whether they like Firefox. So we'll see.

IE does the job for me and always has done, never had any problems. I havent tried FF, and dont plan to, it may be better I dont know, but IMO it if aint broken then why fix it.

What about "I use IE, and am NOT scared of the change?". Just because I choose to use IE (I have both browsers and others installed) doesn't mean the only reason I use it is through fear of changing!

Originally posted by trentboy2

.... I joined Plusnet Broadband yesterday (am currently on dial up :-( ) and I'm not sure whether they like Firefox. So we'll see. [/b]

I use Firefox with Force9 (the same company as plusnet) and have no problems so you should be fine.

I used to come under the category 'I use I.E but am afraid of change' thinking that I would get all sorts of conflicts/headaches by changing, but nothing could have been simpler. Anyone out there dithering - give it a go :thumbsup:

.....Wouldnt go back to using I.E.....

Firefox is faster (despite it still having the memory leak it did way back in Firebird 0.2) its leaner, cleaner, more customisable, and tabbed browsing so I have one browser window, but lots of pages open. Plus, I dont use windows, and FF runs nicely on BSD.

Joel

Originally posted by Joelc

Firefox is faster (despite it still having the memory leak it did way back in Firebird 0.2) its leaner, cleaner, more customisable, and tabbed browsing so I have one browser window, but lots of pages open. Plus, I dont use windows, and FF runs nicely on BSD.

Joel

When I have used Firefox for browsing and downloading, it's anything but fast. It takes much longer to load the first instance of it, the web pages load using image placeholders rather than the gradual loading used by IE (which means you can see things before the whole page has loaded), and also after a short while it begins to really use up RAM. I've had Firefox taking up over 100mb of my PC's RAM according to the XP Tasklist - it's anything but resource efficient and the longer you use it/the more you download before closing it, the more RAM it uses. IE on the other hand is much more efficient, and add a "shell" program to it like Avant browser and you get all the Firefox features (tabbed browsing, pop up/ad blocker, etc) and more.

Aye, its had a big memory leak for a long time. Especally if you have it open for a while. The other thing about firefox is that its properly web compliant, doesnt add spaces and bit in that shouldent be there like IE does.

Joel

So from what I'm hearing (good to have both sides of the coin by the way) IE is less secure but doesn't take as much Ram and Firefox is more secure but takes much more Ram than IE.

What about other browsers?

Opera here! (I try to like Firefox, but it just doesn't "feel" as slick, plus it takes about 100 extensions to get it anywhere like how I like it :))

For those people saying "why bother changing from IE?", remember that you can get infected with spyware and viruses just by visiting certain websites! You don't have to click to install anything, and being up to date on patches is no guarantee on safety, there are serious IE security issues that have existed (and been known about) for months that are not fixed...