Sheffield Football Latest-Owls, Blades:

Football Latest

BBC:

Brunty like Beckham

Sheffield Wednesday ex-on-loan defender Steve Watson reckons team-mate Chris Brunt is so good, he's not dissimilar to David Beckham in the way he plays.

Brunt's left-foot has impressed Watson, who told BBC Radio Sheffield that he's one of the best he's played with:

"He's not a young lad who believes in the hype and listens to what people have said. There's no limit to what Brunty can achieve; he's a fit boy, he's got two good feet - an amazing left foot.

"He's a little bit like Beckham in that he doesn't have to run past a player to get the crossline, he can just take it out with his feet."

No surprise for Blades' tight run-in

Neil Warnock says he was fully expecting the Premiership run-in to be as tight as it is, and says it's no surprise that it could all go down to the last game.

Any one of five teams could still join Watford in being relegated this season, and Warnock hopes the Blades won't be ruing missed opportunities:

"We haven't made it easy for ourselves in the last few months, with being in games that we should have won and costing us two points here, there and everywhere. We should be comfortable now well over 40 points.

"It could go right to the last game; the last kick of the match. I don't think anybody knows - there's so many twists and turns."

owls v Brum:

Wednesday boss Brian Laws::)

"It's been a great run. We knew this was going to be a game of nerves with so much at stake for both parties.

"I said each team was going to have their moments and who dealt with those better would come out on top. Unfortunately, we were not as clinical as we would have liked to have been.

"Had Kenny Lunt's shot gone in, rather than hitting the bar when it was 0-0, I believe there would have been no way back for Birmingham.

"But what we can look on is a great end to the season and I am as proud as punch with my players."

Brain Laws Barmy Army.. Brain Laws Barmy Army..

Birmingham 2-0 Sheff Wed

Birmingham moved back to the top of the Championship as they secured a win over a Sheffield Wednesday side whose play-off hopes were ended by the loss.

The game proved a tense affair and Fabrice Muamba was sent-off for the Blues on 58 minutes for two bookings.

But Cameron Jerome put the Blues ahead when he was first to react after Chris Adamson parried a Radhi Jaidi header.

Sebastian Larsson cut in from the touchline, evaded two challenges and drilled a low drive to wrap up the win.

Oh well next season is something to look forward to.

Wednesday till we die!!

Laws urges Wednesday to end on a high

BRIAN Laws is urging his Wednesday players and supporters to make next Sunday's Hillsborough clash with Norwich a grandstand finish to the season.

The Owls boss is vowing that the team will go flat out to the end despite the fact that they are out of contention for a play-off place.

And he hopes that supporters will salute the players' efforts after their surge up the table.

Laws feels pride as much as disappointment after the club's unbeaten run came to an end after 11 games with a 2-0 defeat at Birmingham.

Derby's defeat by Crystal Palace yesterday confirms Birmingham and Sunderland's promotion to the Premiership.

Laws said: "We're certain to finish 10th. Now we have a possible opportunity to finish ninth.

"Who would have thought that in January (when a run of five consecutive defeats began)?

"We have proved that we can live with the best of them in the Championship. We have taken games to the top teams and done well against them."

NEIL WARNOCK will be given a whopping £20million transfer kitty this summer as reward for keeping Sheffield United in the top flight.

The Blades are five points clear of the drop zone with two games left and firm favourites to beat the drop.

Warnock is already targeting David Nugent, Lee Hendrie, Alan Smith and Phil Neville. And the Blades boss said: "I'd like to be able to go to Chelsea and be able to play like we play at home."

Bullen set to sign new deal

New offer: Lee Bullen

OWLS captain Lee Bullen looks set to sign a new one-year contract.

Further talks due to be held today are expected to lead to a deal being clinched.

The 36-year-old defender said: "I don't foresee any problems. If I was a betting man, I would say I'll be here next season, definitely.:D

"I'm not difficult to deal with, I'm not a greedy person - and it's a privilege to be offered a new contract. I'm happy here and I enjoy it.":D

It will be the defender's fourth one-year deal since he signed for the Owls on leaving Dunfermline in the summer of 2004. Short contracts have suited the club, in view of his age, and suited him, as he has enjoyed the incentive of proving himself year by year.

"It's a good club," he added. "Ever since I have been here, the club has progressed year on year. You need that kind of working environment.:D

"A one-year deal is fine by the club. It's all right for me as well; it keeps me on my toes.":D

The season has seen a successful personal comeback by the centre half. He was controversially sent off in the first match of the campaign, at Preston, then after being suspended was unable to become a regular in the team until November. But he has been a stalwart in the side that moved to the brink of the play-offs.

He said: "Under the previous manager I just felt that if other players were fit they were going to be playing in front of me and I was going to be a squad player. It might be that that still happens in the future. But I just felt that I had more to offer.

"I have really enjoyed the run I have had in the team. There have been a few mistakes. But I'm pleased with the general consistency level of myself and the team.":D

Bullen has served the club well in a variety of positions and his latest run in the team has been at centre back.

In his old spot of right back, he accepts that Frankie Simek - his choice for the club's Player of the Year - is the recognised first choice.

The Scot is not taking his future role in the team for granted, for he also knows that Brian Laws is likely to bring in an extra defender in the summer. Bullen is happy to be involved in healthy competition for places: "I deal with that year on year.":thumbsup:

PREMIER LEAGUE boss Richard Scudamore is making a whirlwind tour of clubs after a revolt over the failure to dock West Ham points for their "dishonesty and deceit".

Scudamore was at Wigan yesterday for a meeting with owner Dave Whelan and manager Paul Jewell as clubs rapped the decision to only fine the Hammers a record £5.5million for the signings of Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano.

Relegation battlers Charlton, Fulham, Wigan and Sheffield United are at the heart of the fight, but insiders reveal there may be as many as six in support of action and are threatening court action.

Scudamore is frantically trying to appease the rebels whose anger is fuelled by West Ham's admission that they were guilty of breaking a rule and lying to cover it up.

The Premier League's reasons for letting them off the usual punishment of a points deduction - the time it took to hold the inquiry, the change of ownership and the size of their support - has only angered rivals even further.

Whelan is calling for a 10-point penalty while Jewell claimed the Premier League had 'bottled it' and would have penalised West Ham with a points deduction if they were already relegated.

Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock has also savaged the decision, while both Charlton and Fulham have contacted other angered clubs.

There is backing to take on the governing body in other quarters too and such a movement would be a big problem for Scudamore.

How is Scudamore going to appease all the clubs who complain about this cheating row that just will not go away.Threatening to boycott the PL next season would surely shake the PL & FA up but this would never happen.

Sheffield United are set to finish 11th in the Premiership attendance table, thanks to boosting and sustaining a huge fan base.

A current average Premiership attendance of 30,578 has landed United 11th spot for crowd figures in the top flight this season - beating top-ten finishers including Bolton, Blackburn, Reading and Portsmouth

Hammers rivals have legal case

Clubs relegated from the top flight would have a case for legal action against the Premier League for failing to dock West Ham points

"I do believe that, if a club goes down by a point or two, those relegation clubs would have a decent claim," said sports lawyer Mel Goldberg.

"It seems part of the decision has been attributed to the fact that it is near the end of the season and they didn't want to upset the supporters. "That seems to be irrelevant. If West Ham were playing players who were not properly registered, there have been precedents of other teams being dropped points. The rules should be the same."

Clubs in lower leagues have previously been docked points for irregularities, while Bury were kicked out of the FA Cup this season.

Past precedents would add to a case for relegated teams if West Ham climb out of the bottom three. Goldberg added: "They could possible ask for money as compensation if they argue they were not being treated fairly."

West Ham also fielded Tevez in an FA Cup victory against Brighton.

Although it is not possible to reinstate them at this stage of the season, the League One side could seek compensation.

"They would be entitled to claim for damages," said Goldberg.

"They could argue that they shouldn't have been knocked out of that round, and that they lost X amount of pounds."

My opinion is that even if the Hammers do go down there should still be some points deducted regardless of the fine.

It was out and out cheating who ever was involved.

As stated by others, other teams have had points deducted for far less serious matters.

Rotherham being a case in point.:suspect:

The crux of it is the Hammers can now afford better lawyers (to take on the P-L) , than the other clubs in the equation (although collectively that wouldn't be so, which might be what the P-L now fear).

If there is any natural justice, the Hammers will be relegated on the field... but we all know football doesn't work like that; and clubs like Leicester a few years ago took the p*ss and gained promotion; and Rotherham are now being relegated because the rules were changed because of what Leicester did..... and the stable door was shut after the horse bolted.