Using a laptop in a van

I spend half the year abroard the other half in Sheffield. I'll be back in mid March.

I'll have a job where I will spend quite a lot of time in a parked up van.

I would like to use my vintage Dell laptop if I can.

I am told I can use a smartphone to activate the laptop.

my knowledge of computers is miniscule. How would I go about this?

Providing you have power for the laptop sorted, and it has WiFi...

You can use a modern Smart Phone and 'Tether' it to use it's internet connection..

You have to make sure that your contract supports tethering though, as some don't allow it...

You have to make sure that your contract supports tethering though, as some don't allow it...

that's just it. I'm only there for six months. Can I get a six month contract.

if its an iphone can you not use it instead of a lap top?

You can get PAYG deals that have certain bundled internet allowances too. If you've got an android smartphone then you can set it up as a portable mobile wifi hotspot. The only ways that the phone company can tell that you're tethering is based on the fact that you'd be pulling down lots of full-page "desktop view" webpages instead of the mobile variant of the webpages (though that you can select "desktop view" for a lot of stuff even on a mobile/tablet then this is kinda moot) or if you're downloading loads of stuff. Most state they don't want tethering because they don't want to have to support large file transfers across their network. Just check with whichever network you go with when in store, and make sure your phone is unlocked to that network or all networks prior to committing.

they have those dongle things here. But they are not all that reliable everywhere. However that is probably because it is a developing country.

they are reliable (i.e. 90% plus) in Sheffield?

it will not be mobile and in use in heavily commercial areas like the town centre. Mostly on housing estates.

If they're reliable or not depends on the quality of the signal in the area that you're parked up in. Sheffield covers a lot of area, and some of that area is countryside. It also depends on how busy a mast is - if you're in a highly populated area and lots of people are all using their mobile broadband then speeds will slow down, as each mast has only got a limited capacity allocation. The dongles are pretty much the same as the phone tethering option. They'll use the same masts, it's the same technology.

If you're going to get a dongle to use over here, purchase it over here. You're at least then guaranteed that it will work on our GSM bands, and if there's issues then you have more recourse to get it sorted without having to wait 6 months to go back abroad for a replacement or to argue with the sales people.

is there any way to ascertain how strong a signal is likely in like these areas :

Shiregreen

Fir Vale

Darnall

Tinsley

Manor

Arbourthorne

GiffGaff are good - you can pay a £7.50 goodybag, and get internet with tethering, unlimited texts, etc....

And it's Pay as you Go, so no contract...