Linux - ZORIN possible problem.

OK...needing a bit of help here - put's on my damsel in distress hat and a smile :D

:help: :help: :help: :help:

I am running Zorin on this PC - Dell Inspiration (about 7 years old)...and ALL is running well and as it should....except when I go onto Facebook.

Then the fan starts whirring like a thing possessed. It was lagging too...but I Googled and found a fix...where I went into terminal and added a few lines at end of something to disable something - You can see I am such a techie - and now at least the lag has gone.

My first thought - being a woman of course - is that the tower may just need a jolly good hoover....it's been about 8 months since it was last done.

Thing is though...there is no fan whirring issue on any other site but facebook....which leads me to wondering WHY.

Can anyone help please???

Thanks.

---------- Post added 19-01-2014 at 11:19 ----------

OK...to report further.

The whirring isn't at a constant speed.....it varies...like something else is kicking in to use the CPU. A bit like when you have a virus or something unwanted on Windows. Something is taking possession of that CPU and making it whirr.

I found (through Google) Ubuntu Tweaks yesterday - it was already installed but I hadn't known about it.

I cleaned up all the things available...except the 75 things in the previous Linux list - it kept closing and wouldn't let me clear it.....not that I feel that is the problem.

The bit that is annoying me...is that if this was in Windows...I could run Glary or some such other things and it would sort it out.

I am a bear of very little brain. :hihi:

It's life telling you that you're making two mistakes.

1: using Facebook

2: using Linux

Stop using both of these and all will be well in the world. :|

Ignore denomis (apart from Facebook!:hihi:)

Have you seen what is running in startup applications? You would get a faster response if you went here:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/index.php

---------- Post added 22-01-2014 at 22:49 ----------

I have sought some answers for you, but please feel free to join us on the Zorin forum. :)

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 12:44 ----------

Hi julado, I have PM'd you but your inbox is full! can you clear some out/back up?

---------- Post added 24-01-2014 at 18:40 ----------

Can mods send an e-mail to julado to clear her PM box?;)

Hi....sorry...had forgotten about this.

Didn't expect anything else from denomis....same old same old. I bet he's an iPod fanboi :hihi:

Thanks swarf....did a lot of research....seems it's a facebook news feed home page issue....nothing to do with my pc or my Linux - many other complaints on the tech area of facebook.

It's something to do with the column at the side....the ticker...which gives updates as they happen....the one that contains all the ads (if you don't have an ad block in place).....have now disabled this and it's running smoother. Not altogether fixed but apparently Facebook now know the issues. Something about it not being "optimised"??????????????

I am sure I did join that forum before...will see if I can log in. :):thumbsup:

I'm failing to see the link between Linux, iPod and Facebook. :huh:

There's only a link if you want one! :hihi:

Personally I much prefer this logo!

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6125&hilit=+facebook#p29026

Hi julado, glad you got things a bit more sorted - this was the advice from another moderator:

"what are her security settings on FB like?, she should shut down everything to do with external links that she can and reduce her privacy to friends only, any "Like" pages that she has and doesn't use need to be deleted."

Apart from that we would need to know the specs of the machine (icluding processor, Graphics) and the version of Zorin being used.

Edited by swarfendor43

No the link is between the person who comes onto an OBVIOUS Linux thread....making dumb responses that clearly show he doesn't like Linux.....and the iPhone....oops did I put pod ---- see even my PC wouldn't ALLOW me to type phone...that's because it's Linux ;)

No the link is between the person who comes onto an OBVIOUS Linux thread....making dumb responses that clearly show he doesn't like Linux.....and the iPhone....oops did I put pod ---- see even my PC wouldn't ALLOW me to type phone...that's because it's Linux ;)

But I don't own an iPhone :huh: I have a wp8.

Odd that facebook has elements that would cause the PC to work harder. The only sites that do that on mine (win 8.1 laptop) is youtube and such, because of the HD videos.

Odd that facebook has elements that would cause the PC to work harder. The only sites that do that on mine (win 8.1 laptop) is youtube and such, because of the HD videos.

Because its busy stealing your data........ And thoughts :|

Facebook know it's a problem.

Facebook causing high use of CPU

Just need to wait for them to sort it out. :)