Blank web pages

Okay here's one for the techies, I am using IE 10 on a Windows 7 32 bit machine. When I do a search in Yahoo advanced mode or try to open a link from another web page the page never appears it's just plain white or blank although the address is there and all the toolbars. if I copy and paste the web address into the address bar again I can usually get it to load. The same search using Firefox always works the page appears normally. I've spent ages looking on various tech forums and although the problem seems to be fairly common in several versions of IE and even with Firefox or chrome I have as yet to find a solution that works. Okay I could abandon IE and use one of the other browsers but I'd like to know what on earth is going on. Microsoft help forums aren't very helpful as there are several fixes talked about none of which seem to work. Anybody come across this and has pushed on and actually found an answer with a solution I'd really like to know. No virus or malware picked up by the way and although one or two people have mentioned dll files? they don't actually go on to explain what they are talking about which isn't helpful.

Ugh, I did see something of this nature on browsers in recent years. I detest it.... with a vengence...

There seems to be something funky between IE 7 and IE 8. To be honest, it could be related to an awful lot of areas.

- Is Yahoo advance mode using some kind of active X? If so, then does your machine has install right according to that profile which you are using to surf with ?

- Is your Windows 7's version, the same as your IE's version, meaning do they have the same bit architecture ? It is better if your OS is of a higher architecture than your software, cos then it means both softwares of 32 bit and 64 bits will run without an issue, but if it is lower, then I am not sure what the effects are. It depends on how the code is written.

- Firefox seems to be working for a lot of software for some reasons, but then there isn't that kind of liabilities in other areas. I have not dig into the actual code to differentiate the differences between Firefox and IE, but I do know this much. IE does have a lot of functionalities now added onto it and a lot more related to Java as well. So this has been speculated a lot too.

-Do you have the correct version of java installed on your PC?

Normally, a blank screen just means no code is running. No processing. If the issue is related to the website itself, then the web server will send something to you. But if you think about why a screen is white, to me it indicates that some kind of code is not running properly, and that there are no codes to trap these error exception points.

My thinking is, if on the same machine, you have two browsers, one shows up the webpage and then the other does not. Then it means that the browser's code have issues. If the Yahoo web server have issues, then it should show you as web error on both browsers. I would start to investigate that particular browser's code, and what is differentiating from there. To be honest, I have not heard of IE10, and I was not even aware that we are on that version now. I would skim read some articles to see what is their unique selling point on this latest version of IE to that of IE8. Normally, something major is part of the latest release and they tell companies and users about this. Well, they used to. Not really kept up to this in this area to be honest.

Thanks, I can't answer much as I'm self taught but yahoo advanced search function is just the bit where you can search for either an exact match of text or get it to either look for sites with certain words on it or certain words omitted, I think Google used to have a similar search feature. The problem seems to be with IE for me and IE 10 is an update from IE9 but isn't a beta version unlike IE11 but the various help forums I've been rreading seem to ssay that this problem has been around for some time going back to IE6 I noticed. If IE is in some way corrupted though I'd of thought that Microsoft would be a lot faster off the mark despite the claims from a few conspiracy theorists saying that it is an evil ploy by Microsoft to force users towards Bing , a search engine which once on your machine seems to of been made incredibly hard to remove.

Is Yahoo advance search an "add-on" in your own PC ?

Explain to me how you use Yahoo advance search.

1- Is it, you open a browser, type in yahoo.com and then you type in a word and then search ? (Is it this? http://news.search.yahoo.com/advanced)

2- Is it, you open a browser, you see this blank box at the top of your toolbar area, and it is part of some yahoo software which you installed without knowing before, but if you search in your control panel in the installed softwares, you will see something like "google toolbar" or "yahoo toolbar" and so forth.

Because if it is 2, then there is some kind of software, which we class as an "add-on" which enable your browser to use as a function and when it goes to either certain website, or you perform certain action within your browser, this little bit of add-on code will activate and run, and enable you to perform this function.

---------- Post added 18-01-2014 at 22:25 ----------

I'm curious. Can you test this link ?

http://news.search.yahoo.com/usns/ynsearch/categories/23/index.html

Do you also get this "not found" ? If so, and if this is what you see, then this is not an IE issue, I do not think and actually it could be related to Google's predefined searches.

Edited by salsafan

There is no way to find out what is going on inside Internet Explorer, it's closed source, only Microsoft will know & they wont tell you.

Internet Explorer is becoming a minority browser & it's hard to support, as a web developer - always need to support 3 versions that are totally different from each other or any other browser (the others all follow standards and are pretty similar) & they wont all run on the same PC at the same time, it's a nightmare. More websites will give up trying to make it work.

It could also be some browser plugin acting up.

I advise you to give up & use Firefox too.

Edited by anywebsite

IE is Windows programming, and it is based on C. Then it went to C++. Then I know that they also did something to make it java-friendly. One reason why java add-ons exist is because of Microsoft wanting to bridge that gap. IE is definitely more commercial.

To be honest, I am uncertain if you cannot dissect IE, but then again, what is the point of doing this anyway ? I think if you were a developer, and was exposed to Visual Studios and dug in a little with MSDN, then you will know this. People used to be able to customise their IE. Rather than to create these add-ons and run separately and parallel to this. Maybe it is all related to who owns which bit of software and how it is meant to be kept flexible but yet open to all kind of markets ?

Edited by salsafan

Right in thee yahoo search engine homepage there is a search box above that are a few optional links, web ,video, images and another couple the last of these is titled 'more' I click on that and get a drop down menu in which is the option to do an advanced search. I've used this for ages and had never experienced any problems until I got this later version of IE and Windows7

I'm looking at the forum through internet explorer but if I want to open that link you've offered I either have to go through Firefox or save the link as a target to my desktop and then I can click on it and it'll open properly. If I click on it now all I get is the blank white page with the address showing but no text, no images nothing on the page itself. I don't get any error messages and that's how it'll sit for as long as I leave it and clicking refresh does nothing to help it along. Musst admit I am tempted to just sidestep IE and use Firefox and maybe Google chrome instead but I'd still like to know what is going on.

Ok, so I got the same as you it seems. Window 7, IE11.

That link I sent to you. It is definitely a google issue.

I'm going to see if I can break their search site to see. Could be cookies etc

By the way, the link I sent before, I can use this in IE, and not Google. Isn't that strange? It means it is the opposite as to what you said about the two browsers.

The whole path was this:

"news.search.yahoo.com/usns/ynsearch/categories/23/index.html"

Works in IE. It added the missing Http:// in front of the line and it finds the search engine page.

In Google Chrome, it has the missing http:// and it does not load.

Then I tested this too:

http://news.search.yahoo.com/advanced

Works in IE. Pasted exactly and it works.

Also works in Chrome, and it does not display the "http://" in the toolbar but I did paste it in as exact. So I know it recognises what I typed as a webpage.

If I click on it now all I get is the blank white page with the address showing but no text, no images nothing on the page itself. I don't get any error messages and that's how it'll sit for as long as I leave it and clicking refresh does nothing to help it along. Musst admit I am tempted to just sidestep IE and use Firefox and maybe Google chrome instead but I'd still like to know what is going on.

So, if you click on it and it does not open, then I wonder if there is a kind of default setting which does not invoke it to be opened properly ?

---------- Post added 19-01-2014 at 00:53 ----------

When I do a search in Yahoo advanced mode or try to open a link from another web page the page never appears it's just plain white or blank although the address is there and all the toolbars. if I copy and paste the web address into the address bar again I can usually get it to load. The same search using Firefox always works the page appears normally. I've spent ages looking on various tech forums and although the problem seems to be fairly common in several versions of IE and even with Firefox or chrome I have as yet to find a solution that works. Okay I could abandon IE and use one of the other browsers but I'd like to know what on earth is going on. Microsoft help forums aren't very helpful as there are several fixes talked about none of which seem to work. Anybody come across this and has pushed on and actually found an answer with a solution I'd really like to know. No virus or malware picked up by the way and although one or two people have mentioned dll files? they don't actually go on to explain what they are talking about which isn't helpful.

So I have done the same testing too.

When I copy and paste the actual link into my browser's path: http://news.search.yahoo.com/advanced

It loads on the page itself.

When I clicked on this link as I can see it now in this page, it does not load the page and it shows me the words "not found". Even though I am using chrome as my own default too. It is the same effect as you. i.e. not loading the search engine page but it loads a blank page with two words "not found". Even though I assume that your default browser is IE and mine is Chrome. I can say that the effect is the same. It means that the browser does not have the code to decode and open this actual webpage or example ?

I do wonder if this is because the search engine site is not an actual normal website, but a web crawler's front end. I did skim read on the wiki article on the yahoo search engine site and dig a little bit into the webcrawler too. I used to have an actual broswer named Webcrawler, and it actually is a search engine in itself. So in effect, it means that you are trying to open a search engine within a search engine in itself. If that make sense ?

Once upon a time when you use Netscape, it can tell you if a page that you see within it is an article, a webpage, or a usenet. As they are all different. I do wonder whether the yahoo engine site is not classed as a webpage. That is the only reason I can think of.

Because basically if you save this Yahoo Search Engine site as a bookmark, you can indeed load and use it within your browser. Cos I have just tested this just now. It is just that if you click it as a link from another source to open it up, then it won't load and invoke, and this could indeed be a Windows issue possible. I do not know if you could do this before. Cos when you click on a URL link within anywhere in Windows, it is Window's code that will then run, activate and load it elsewhere in your screen. That is the only thing I can think of. If this is a Windows 7 bug, then you can indeed report this to the Microsoft site under Windows I suppose.

Edited by salsafan

Ugh, I did see something of this nature on browsers in recent years. I detest it.... with a vengence...

There seems to be something funky between IE 7 and IE 8. To be honest, it could be related to an awful lot of areas.

- Is Yahoo advance mode using some kind of active X? If so, then does your machine has install right according to that profile which you are using to surf with ?

- Is your Windows 7's version, the same as your IE's version, meaning do they have the same bit architecture ? It is better if your OS is of a higher architecture than your software, cos then it means both softwares of 32 bit and 64 bits will run without an issue, but if it is lower, then I am not sure what the effects are. It depends on how the code is written.

- Firefox seems to be working for a lot of software for some reasons, but then there isn't that kind of liabilities in other areas. I have not dig into the actual code to differentiate the differences between Firefox and IE, but I do know this much. IE does have a lot of functionalities now added onto it and a lot more related to Java as well. So this has been speculated a lot too.

-Do you have the correct version of java installed on your PC?

Normally, a blank screen just means no code is running. No processing. If the issue is related to the website itself, then the web server will send something to you. But if you think about why a screen is white, to me it indicates that some kind of code is not running properly, and that there are no codes to trap these error exception points.

My thinking is, if on the same machine, you have two browsers, one shows up the webpage and then the other does not. Then it means that the browser's code have issues. If the Yahoo web server have issues, then it should show you as web error on both browsers. I would start to investigate that particular browser's code, and what is differentiating from there. To be honest, I have not heard of IE10, and I was not even aware that we are on that version now. I would skim read some articles to see what is their unique selling point on this latest version of IE to that of IE8. Normally, something major is part of the latest release and they tell companies and users about this. Well, they used to. Not really kept up to this in this area to be honest.

This appears to just be a very long winded way of saying you don't understand.

IE is Windows programming, and it is based on C. Then it went to C++. Then I know that they also did something to make it java-friendly. One reason why java add-ons exist is because of Microsoft wanting to bridge that gap. IE is definitely more commercial.

To be honest, I am uncertain if you cannot dissect IE, but then again, what is the point of doing this anyway ? I think if you were a developer, and was exposed to Visual Studios and dug in a little with MSDN, then you will know this. People used to be able to customise their IE. Rather than to create these add-ons and run separately and parallel to this. Maybe it is all related to who owns which bit of software and how it is meant to be kept flexible but yet open to all kind of markets ?

This makes things clearer. Please be quiet and leave those with a clue to contribute. You're providing nothing but confusing, misunderstood nonsense. This entire post is complete and utter nonsense with no relation to the real world.

This appears to just be a very long winded way of saying you don't understand.

This makes things clearer. Please be quiet and leave those with a clue to contribute. You're providing nothing but confusing, misunderstood nonsense. This entire post is complete and utter nonsense with no relation to the real world.

Hehe - all that nonsense about Java and Active X.....

Is it just the Yahoo search results page that is doing it?

I haven't seen a website using ActiveX components for quite a while and even so, a site as popular as Yahoo wouldn't be so stupid as to do it, it never has before. If it was using ActiveX then it'd mean it should only work in IE, not the other way round.

IE11 is out for Win 7, it's no longer a beta so you can go ahead and install that. I'm not sure it'd make a difference. All I can suggest is revert all your settings to defaults, clear your cache/history etc, uninstall any plugins you may have and try again?

*snip*

Um hello...? Wake up please... You can't run 64bit apps on a 32bit OS. 32bit apps on a 64bit OS, at least in Windows would run via WOW64 i.e Windows-on-Windows 64, Windows 32bit emulation api. Basically means 32bit apps in a 64bit environment won't run at the native 32bit speed. You can run 32bit apps, but they'll not run at the same speed/standard if installed on a 64bit OS as if they were installed in a native 32bit environment.

Edited by ShefStealth
punctuation