Any Microsoft Certified Computer Techs on here

Are there any Microsoft Certified computer techs on here or someone with advanced knowledge, patience, to help this mature hard of hearing guy out with his Windows XP computer.....if Yes to the above and willing to visit my home, I will gladly pay you for your trouble ( would need to know how much though before commiting myself ).

What I know about computers can be written on a thumbnail, technical terms just go over my head......I'm an handy sort of bloke conversant in most things - DIY, Electrics and a bit of Electronics Knowledge but cannot grasp the ins and outs of computers - I just know the basics - I need my computer as a means of communication ( email ) as due to my hearing cannot use a phone.

Obviously in placing this Enquiry, the computer is working ok......wht's started this enquiry off is 2 things: 1) I have read on here that in April 2014 Support for windows XP is to stop, I have also whilst online had a window open from Microsoft informing me of the same thing and I am rather worried about not being able to use my computer - I cannot afford to buy another more up to date version computer.

My computer is Windows XP SP3 Home Edition, until recently I was using IE8 but everytime I logged into my Virgin Media account it informed me that I needed to upgrade my browser -I did upgrade my browser to Google Chrome which is much faster but doesnt have the functionality of IE8, which I prefer.

Virgin Media ( my ISP ) have recently introduced a new Antivirus program - F-secure which has taken over the old program: PC Guard, occasionaly when F-secure starts up it will inform me that it cannot find the server, I go into ' Set Program Access And Defaults ' click on ' Custom ' and then enable the box ' Internet Explorer ' and OK it, within a few minutes on checking it has reverted back to ' Use My Current Browser ' I need someone to explain why this is happening and to fix it for me.

I also need re-assurance that all my desktop Items will work when support with XP stops and that I will be safe in using them when online with Google Chrome ?

Hope I have explain all that ok......apologies for having to drag everything out, but has stated above, I am dependant upon my computer for communication.

I did consider taking my computer to a computer shop to see if they could help me with it, but what shops I have used in the past have charged me far too much for the service provided and some things have not worked after they have messed with it.

The lack of support will not render your computer unusable, although it might mean that over time the OS becomes less secure as security fixes are no longer produced.

Chrome has all the functionality of IE8 and more, is there some specific feature you can't find?

The cessation of support will make no difference to the programs you have installed or to Chrome.

From what you've said it doesn't sound like you need to do anything at the moment. Your computer works, the lack of future support is unlikely to be a big issue and you should continue to use Chrome rather than IE8.

Hello Cyclone,

As I said in the enquiry, I wanted to know why when enabling the check box ' Choose A Default Web Browser ' Internet Explorer it wouldn't remain as my choice, instead it changed it back to ' Use My Current Browser '.

What is my current browser if I have access to both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome ?

You ask if there are somethings I'm looking for when using Chrome.....when using Internet Explorer, under the address bar there are these: File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help in a location that I find simple and easy to use - can't work out how to get a toolbar on my home page when using Google Chrome ?

What exactly is it you're missing from IE, because as far as I was aware it's pretty much being playing catchup with other browsers for many, many years.

So if anything other browsers will have more functionality.

It is really not worth spending money on your current computer. As you already know, there will be no updates after April and it will gradually become more insecure as time goes by. Some computer shops sell reconditioned machines running Windows 7 - perhaps you could afford something like that? There is a company at Parsons Cross called Aspire that recondition computers. Maybe they would have something affordable. I cannot give you a link as the one I had said that the website has been suspended. Someone else may have the details.

As I said in the enquiry, I wanted to know why when enabling the check box ' Choose A Default Web Browser ' Internet Explorer it wouldn't remain as my choice, instead it changed it back to ' Use My Current Browser '.

What is my current browser if I have access to both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome ?[/Quote]

I'm not sure if I understand this question - 'Use my Current Browser' is usually an option from within a browser - so the current browser is the one that you're using when being presented with the question? But then i'm not sure why you are feeling the need to choose a default in the first place (not that there is anything wrong with doing so), or what it has to do with your antivirus - but that's probably my fault as i'm not familiar with that one.

You ask if there are somethings I'm looking for when using Chrome.....when using Internet Explorer, under the address bar there are these: File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help in a location that I find simple and easy to use - can't work out how to get a toolbar on my home page when using Google Chrome ?

In Chrome, to the right of the address bar you will see 3 short horizontal lines, click that and you will be presented with all those options.

I go into ' Set Program Access And Defaults ' click on ' Custom ' and then enable the box ' Internet Explorer ' and OK it, within a few minutes on checking it has reverted back to ' Use My Current Browser ' I need someone to explain why this is happening and to fix it for me.

The "use my current browser" option is shorthand for "I am happy with this setting, please don't modify it". By design, after you choose an alternative option, it will "revert" to this selection - it doesn't need to show Internet Explorer as selected for it to be your default option.

It's done like this because there are numerous ways for the set program access application to not know what your current settings are - it's primarily designed to change settings, not to view your current ones.

Virgin Media ( my ISP ) have recently introduced a new Antivirus program - F-secure which has taken over the old program: PC Guard, occasionaly when F-secure starts up it will inform me that it cannot find the server

It's very very unlikely this has anything to do with your default web browser set up. I would suspect it's more likely that your internet / network connection is not starting up before F-Secure tries to check for internet access. This could be caused by many things, but it's probably not worth worrying about.

Well John H. How long do you expect to continue using Xp after its support date finishes, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year?

If your computer is the main means of communication because of your impairment then you should be looking to ensure

you are using equipment that can be supported. Absolutely no-body is going to reassure you that when support for Xp

ends you will be able to safely go online using Google Chrome.

Imagine your version of Xp as a car tyre, when it was new it had several millimetres of tread. But after years of

running its down to the canvas and about ready to let-go. It could let-go next month or next year nobody knows.

It's going to be a complete hack-fest when Microsoft stop issuing the updates.

Alot of big organisations and governments still havn't replaced all the old machines, so there's quite a big incentive for hackers to find lots of new vulnerabilities with windows because once one is found it will remain usable,

Hello Cyclone,

What is my current browser if I have access to both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome ?

I'm not sure what the point of this tickbox is, it's probably to direct the anti virus to use the same proxy as your browser, and it's probably irrelevant as you don't use a proxy. But that's a guess.

The Chrome menu can be accessed by clicking the button that looks like three horizontal lines, it's towards the top right of the window, below the minimise, maximise and close icons.

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 07:42 ----------

It's going to be a complete hack-fest when Microsoft stop issuing the updates.

Alot of big organisations and governments still havn't replaced all the old machines, so there's quite a big incentive for hackers to find lots of new vulnerabilities with windows because once one is found it will remain usable,

Safe browsing habits and anti-virus will keep most people reasonably safe I expect.

Hi John

The answer really is simple... Uninstall the Virgin Media software and go with Avast Free antivirus.

That would certainly get rid of you having to mess around every time you turn on your computer and Avast will be just as, if not more safe.

And don't listen to all these scaremongers. So what if support ends for Windows XP soon, you're a home user, with antivirus and provided you don't click yes to all of those daft pop up's you'll be fine.

P.S. I'm not certified but I've got 10 years in the job and currently manage a team of security patching engineers for the Vodafone Group.