Blades vs hudds - match thread for play off final

I'd agree, and joking aside, it is funny, and you'd do the same, however, United did deserve something more. It has been a season when everything has conspired against you....

Agreed, what a season, Morgan out for the whole season, Jean-Francois out for half of the season, Gary Speed's death, McDonald's ham string injury, losing the best striker in years, two red cards in a single game, Creswell patched up beyond repair, McDonald injured again in the final Stevenage game, you couldn't make it up!

Dont think if i had visited Alton Towers i would have gone on a bigger rollercaoster ride than what i had with the Blades on Saturday...

For them to miss the first 3 pens and still beat us was almost as devastating as Simmo doing a Waddle but I cant fault the lad, if it wasnt for some of his saves it would haven't have even got to pens, he pulled off some right save to keep us in it...Even if Huddersfield manage to keep Jordan Rhodes i can see them coming straight back down because they really are a bad side and before you all say well they beat you lot, We had injuries and players out of training all week and still gave as good as we got, honestly wished we had played more football though, we did seem to be mixing it up most of the time

Banging headache, though that's through being sat in what felt like a sauna at Wembley at times yesterday!

I'd like to see the likes of George Long get a full season starting next season, and maybe a few of the best of the rest of the youngsters - i'd have liked to see David McAllister get on yesterday as he's looked quite lively the odd occasions i've seen him. Perhaps see if they can attract some of the better players we've faced this season from the likes of MKD, Stevenage and others, who work well at this level.

I just hope that because it ended like it did yesterday, that the more impatient fans don't get on their backs and want us to go back to Blackwell style route one - it's been good to see some good attacking football with quality passing this season (all bar the last month!).

I still don't know why he sat on the bench all match? I would have had him on after half time, once we knew that Rhodes and Novak were being kept quiet.

Morning all!

My first post since the game yesterday.

I'm not going to gloat.

I watched the game with my bro in law at his gaff yesterday, and i felt his pain.

The game itself was on a knife edge and neither teams performed very well, the first half was a non event but i thought Huddersfield were the better side in the second half, and had it not been for Simmonson you would probably have lost in normal time.

The penalties was a nightmare for him (bro in law), up, down, up, down etc...i knew how he felt, and we have mucho banter normally, but when Simmonson skied that last spot kick, i just stood up, told him i was off, and just left him to it...He was gutted.

The play offs are a crock of crap, never rated them and it's not a fair system when a team who never really came out of the top three all season don't get promoted is just wrong.

I fear for United finance wise etc. I don't think anyone of us realise what a huge impact not getting promoted will do to the club, we shall see.

On a brighter note, i thought young Harry Maguire played a great game, definately a very good prospect!

To all my United forum buddies, chin up, move on and let's see what next season brings.

Cheers Billy lad!

So, after reading and replying to some posts, here are my thoughts on match day.

The travel: Luckily for us (five of us) we had only just joined the M1 when I got a text from a couple of Hudders mates of mine, who had gone down the night before, warning me of the M1 issue, so we went via the M40, straight down, onto the North Circular and parked (free!) a mile from Wembley. It was straight forward, we got there a little earlier than expected and grabbed a bite to eat.

The banter outside the ground seemed good natured for the most part, and as usual the local shops took the mickey with prices for cans of beers.

The game: I can only say it how I saw it, and thought SUFC were slightly ahead in the first half, with Hudders coming into it in the second, especially in the last 15 minutes.

Quinn and Williamson did ok. Monty made one or two tackles and cleared one, but was no substitute for McDonald. McAllistair would have been my choice in that position.

Cresswell was clearly shattered early in the second half should have been subbed then.

Rhodes and Novak - I thought it was just me, from where I was sitting, thinking they had been totally ineffective against our back four, but even one of the Sunday papers gave Rhodes five out of ten.

Penalties - well you might as well just toss a coin.

I hope Huddersfield do ok in the Championship, for the sake of my Hudders mates, but if they play like that they will struggle. If we could keep Rhodes and Novak contained and quiet for most of the game, then Championship teams will.

Journey back: We decided to use the M40 again, no traffic, sailed back and in Sheffield enjoying real ale two and half hours later (give or take a few minutes).

I have enjoyed the season (apart from this result of course!) loved the football we played, enjoyed the travel, it's now down to keeping a few players and clearing a lot out, get a bit more youth and pace into the team.

Final thing: The forum is generally a laugh, apart from the usual suspects who try and spoil it, looking forward to continuing next year, and maybe even organising that Friday night beer and banter session over summer! To all the people who seem to have created new accounts/names, revived old accounts/names or just seem to have appeared from nowhere on the Sheffield footy section recently, come and join in fully next season, keep it light hearted, and have a laugh. (Pigster mate, you just knew I had to have one last crack at recruiting before Summer!).

P.S. Canadablade, sorry I missed the beers on Friday night, you know the reason I could not make it, would have been there if not, see you in Toronto probably around September.

Cheers all.

Up the Blades!!

Edited by Grappler

So, how did everyone's first day back at work go. For me, being a Blade, i have needed very broad shoulders and thick skin, I have had it all from patients, nurses, spr's, radiographer's and consultants, but, loike the Murphys, i'm not bitter :hihi::hihi:. Must say though, it has all been in jest, and if the boot was on the other foot, i would be doing the same...UTB

Edited by Longy67

Thanks mods for taking all that bile off, i like to think that the overall majority of posters on both sides are all pretty well natured, but the stuff thats been posted on here this evening has been anything but and just went on to spoil a pretty good thread...

So, how did everyone's first day back at work go. For me, being a Blade, i have needed very broad shoulders and thick skin, I have had it all from patients, nusres, spr's, radiographer's and consultants, but, loike the Murphys, i'm not bitter :hihi::hihi:. Must say though, it has all been in jest, and if the boot was on the other foot, i would be doing the same...UTB

Well my Hudders mates had already been in touch straight after the game (they were in a different section of Wembley to us of course) and to be honest, they were just relieved to get it over with.

A couple of Owls builder mates of mine gave me the usual "how much did you pay to watch that rubbish!" :hihi: today and I will see the rest of them on Friday or Saturday in the local pubs, but it's all good fun, these are all good lads and lasses.

So, how did everyone's first day back at work go. For me, being a Blade, i have needed very broad shoulders and thick skin, I have had it all from patients, nurses, spr's, radiographer's and consultants, but, loike the Murphys, i'm not bitter :hihi::hihi:. Must say though, it has all been in jest, and if the boot was on the other foot, i would be doing the same...UTB

No problem for me :hihi::hihi:

No problem for me :hihi::hihi:

Ha, Ha, very funny :hihi::hihi:. Apart from not getting the result we needed, I hope you had a great time back in old blighty :thumbsup::thumbsup: