What was there before the Parkway

What did the area where the Parkway ( from Manor Lane to Handsworth) is now used to consist of ? Was it housing around Prince of Wales Road?

Fields and woods, then the Parkway was built from Cricket Inn Road to Handsworth.

The parkway was on the cards for many years before it was actually built. For this reason when houses and streets were laid out in the area they protected various lines and kept them free from buildings for the "urban motorways".

It is also interesting to understand that the original Sheffield Parkway alignment was along the mosborough parkway route because the closest the M1 was coming to Sheffield centre was what is now J30 between Eckington and Clowne.

Later the northern section of the original M1 became the M18 and the M1 was extended up to leeds on a very bumpy and windy detour around the East and North of Sheffield and the Tinsley Viaduct.

With the M1 coming even closer to the city centre at Catcliffe, they decided to make a much shorter and less expensive Link road to there instead.

Even today you can see grass and unbuilt protected route where the original Parkway should have been and this is why there is such a big wide dual carriageway for 700 yards at this side of J30.

Edited by muddycoffee

Fields and woods, then the Parkway was built from Cricket Inn Road to Handsworth.

Beautiful woodlands! My brothers and I had some great times in there and, during the 6 weeks summer holidays, regularly walked from the lower Manor through to Darnall and High Hazels Park. Those were the days! No talk of dodgy men and nothing ever happened to any of us - just lovely sunny days spent stretching our legs, our imaginations (the 'dark woods' held all kinds of unseen 'monsters!'), and our horizons!

What did the area where the Parkway ( from Manor Lane to Handsworth) is now used to consist of ? Was it housing around Prince of Wales Road?

Near Manor Lane was the Nunnery Pit, beyond were Football pitches, then Bowden homestead Farm and woods named after the farm,just the other side of Prince of Wales Rd, plus the Zion ground was near the farm,the ground was used for football by local schools, St Theresa's being one of them. A great area swept away for length of concrete and Tarmac. Criminal.

it was all fields and wood land also I think there was some industry here too but can't be sure t's not a place I went near as I had no reason to go there try googling up old maps of Sheffield or that area might give you a better answer

Near the Nunnery Pit was Cowlishaws Farm fields, a pond, a stone quarry, allotments. There was also an area called the burning tip where hot slag had been deposited from the steel making in Don Valley.

Guest makapaka

There’s some fascinating stuff about highway planning on a thread here somewhere.

There are wide streets in Fulwood (hallamshire road etc) which we’re purposefully wide to cater for ring roads which never appeared.

Interesting to think what the city might have looked like had that happened.

In the woods at the side of the Parkway between Handsworth and Prince of Wales Road, there used to be open air swimming pool. Does anyone remember this.

Was the original part of the Parkway from (now) Park Square to Manor Lane (and Prince of Wales Road then later beyond) ? I only remember railway lines between Broad Street and Nunnery area. Where any factories, dwellings etc demolished to accommodate the new road? What year did they start building the Parkway, 1966 ?

Edited by St Petre
add

Eagle, I remember the swimming pool very well indeed. But it was in the early 1960s and the pool was mostly filled with felled trees and rainwater, but I do remember nearby a fairly large drain which went beneath the proposed parkway route which we used to crawl through for about 30 yds.

That was spooky and then get home covered on muck. Good old days or what?:)