Grand Designs - Oughtibridge.

I wonder if they'll stay in it or decide it feels like living in a cold, bleak factory and decide to sell.

It certainly didn't look like a cold bleak factory to me and both brothers seemed very pleased with how they had turned out.

Fantastic outlook on the mill pond from the larger of the two buildings.

The plot cost £130K and the build was £610K.

Total cost was 740K for one 4 bedroomed house and another 5 bedroomed house in three acres of land with a large millpond.

Those moaning about planning should remember that planning decisions are not made solely on whether you like it or not but on a whole lot of other reasons including allowing for innovative design which this certainly was.

That's really pretty good isn't it.

£435k if split between the two. You'd probably pay at least that much for a regular 4/5 bed in Oughtibridge. (On a much smaller plot)

Yes it is an eyesore and does not blend in with the rest of the old buildings and again . . How did they ever get this passed?

I suppose the usual will happen, after a few years it will be put up for sale where they will make a collosal profit and Oughtibridge will be stuck with this monstrosity.

Watch this space.

it doesnt have to blend in to the other old buildings, if as has been mentioned it was an old haulage yard then the buildings on that site were probably of a similar construction( brick with corrugated metal roof walls etc) also if were talking eyesore then the old toilet paper factory is a bigger one that two family homes.

the jealousy of some people knows no bounds

it doesnt have to blend in to the other old buildings, if as has been mentioned it was an old haulage yard then the buildings on that site were probably of a similar construction( brick with corrugated metal roof walls etc) also if were talking eyesore then the old toilet paper factory is a bigger one that two family homes.

the jealousy of some people knows no bounds

It used to have to blend in with other buildings before you could get planning permission in the past but obviously not anymore. As for how it used to be , yes Oughtibridge was a real working village with the haulage companies and the paper mill not forgetting Silica Firebrick Company and I can still remember the hammer pounding out every day on Forge Lane but it has all gone now.

The village has had some beautiful houses built and many changes have been made but this one doesn't seem to fit the bill with most locals, nothing to do with with jealousy, racism , sexism or any other ism that people seem to come up with when you have a different view to them.

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.

If they love it, then it’s all been worthwhile.

I think they will be there for a quite few years as this seemed to be a real labour of love.

It doesn’t really stand out when you drive up or down Church Street but maybe you get a different perspective if you live in oughtibridge.

I personally think that it’s a great build with so much more scope to improve upon if you had enough money.

I certainly would love to own it.

They should be really proud of the attention and publicity they have brought to Oughtibridge and Sheffield.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think it’s time to let them get on with enjoying their new homes and I wish them good luck.

there was no publicity for oughtibridge as its name did not get mentioned once in the whole show that's why at people came on here asking where it was

there was no publicity for oughtibridge as its name did not get mentioned once in the whole show that's why at people came on here asking where it was

Apologies if that’s correct but I was going on the assumption that as this thread was started a year ago and the exact location was stated from the start, that Oughtibridge was mentioned. It has been well known in the area about this project but I understand that if it wasn’t stated where in Sheffield that it was, then it was only Sheffield that gained publicity and attention.

I think that's fairly normal for GD. The details are generally available on the website though.

Apologies if that’s correct but I was going on the assumption that as this thread was started a year ago and the exact location was stated from the start, that Oughtibridge was mentioned. It has been well known in the area about this project but I understand that if it wasn’t stated where in Sheffield that it was, then it was only Sheffield that gained publicity and attention.

There have been a couple of threads merged together and my original post had nothing to do with GD, it was just sheer nosiness :) Turned out later that it was a GD program. TBF its more than likely that the producers and presenter probably couldnt have pronounced Oughtibridge correctly anyway :)

As for the buildings, they are not my cup of tea, but then I aint living in them. I was concerned at the start when they were putting up the ironwork that it was going to tower over the surrounding houses but that didnt end up being the case

I'm amazed they got planning permission

If the application complies will all the planning regulations in force at the time, why wouldn't it be granted?