County Hotel, 70 Howard Street.

The County Hotel, 70 Howard Street.

1. I first went into the County Hotel in 1972ish. It was a big bulky white building.

2. The hotel had rooms for 5 dozen guests.

3. The hotel had a licensed cocktail lounge and bar. The lounge and bar were open to the public (non residents).

4. The hotel had a television lounge, also open to the public.

5. The proprietor was Mr. C. D. Gilson.

6. As Jim Hardie inferred, there were plenty of hourly cummin’s and goin’s.

The Howard Hotel.

1. I first went into the Howard Hotel in 1969-70ish. Aged 15-16.

2. The pub had small rooms. I used to go in one of the front rooms where there was a juke-box. The view from the window was of The Midland Station. There was also a view of the water fountain directly outside the pub.

3. The Howard Hotel was also residential. Not many people know that.

4. The proprietor was Mr. C.D. Gilson. Yes, he ran both hotels.

5. Because The Howard sold Tetley products, I suspect The County may have done also. I wouldn’t bet on it though. A pity The Howard has now gone down the pan.

The Cossack.

1. A Tetley pub also.

2. My visits to this pub were always in the company of a girlfriend (I have a reputation to keep thankyou! Lol).

3. I posted about the Cossack on the forum…’Was the Cossack a gay pub?’, History and expats. Started by Alex 3659.

The Globe.

1. This was a Stones pub.

2. It had 3 small rooms and a passage (to the bogs).

Some bits.

1. On the same side, and higher up from the Globe was the Mary Gentle Café. Does anybody remember it?

2. Circa ’72-’73 the café became the Harlequin chips and snips shop. Does anybody remember it?

3. The shop directly below the County Hotel was Davy’s provisions at number 72, they did generous tongue sandwiches. Just behind the County Hotel, and a little lower down was the big bakery factory of Davy’s on Paternoster Row. It was stood where the Hallam University social place now stands. Ex National Music Centre. On leaving school my first job was at Davy’s on Fargate. Good times.

The County Hotel, 70 Howard Street.

1. I first went into the County Hotel in 1972ish. It was a big bulky white building.

2. The hotel had rooms for 5 dozen guests.

3. The hotel had a licensed cocktail lounge and bar. The lounge and bar were open to the public (non residents).

4. The hotel had a television lounge, also open to the public.

5. The proprietor was Mr. C. D. Gilson.

6. As Jim Hardie inferred, there were plenty of hourly cummin’s and goin’s.

The Howard Hotel.

1. I first went into the Howard Hotel in 1969-70ish. Aged 15-16.

2. The pub had small rooms. I used to go in one of the front rooms where there was a juke-box. The view from the window was of The Midland Station. There was also a view of the water fountain directly outside the pub.

3. The Howard Hotel was also residential. Not many people know that.

4. The proprietor was Mr. C.D. Gilson. Yes, he ran both hotels.

5. Because The Howard sold Tetley products, I suspect The County may have done also. I wouldn’t bet on it though. A pity The Howard has now gone down the pan.

The Cossack.

1. A Tetley pub also.

2. My visits to this pub were always in the company of a girlfriend (I have a reputation to keep thankyou! Lol).

3. I posted about the Cossack on the forum…’Was the Cossack a gay pub?’, History and expats. Started by Alex 3659.

The Globe.

1. This was a Stones pub.

2. It had 3 small rooms and a passage (to the bogs).

Some bits.

1. On the same side, and higher up from the Globe was the Mary Gentle Café. Does anybody remember it?

2. Circa ’72-’73 the café became the Harlequin chips and snips shop. Does anybody remember it?

3. The shop directly below the County Hotel was Davy’s provisions at number 72, they did generous tongue sandwiches. Just behind the County Hotel, and a little lower down was the big bakery factory of Davy’s on Paternoster Row. It was stood where the Hallam University social place now stands. Ex National Music Centre. On leaving school my first job was at Davy’s on Fargate. Good times.

Perhaps one could get 'Tongue sandwiches' at the County Hotel too !

Perhaps one could get 'Tongue sandwiches' at the County Hotel too !

Of course, but that was for ladies only.:bigsmile:

My pal Pete Goodyear's mother worked at the Mary Gentle cafe and used to leave a shilling on a Thursday so me and Pete could run down from the City Grammar School and have a "six of chips" each on a Friday lunchtime. That would be in 1959/60. Never gave a thought as to why it was called that, presumably owned by a Catholic family?

That's correct and they also owned the Howard
i worked at the howard hotel when it was owned by mr mrs gilson they also owned the county hotel it was a busy pub in those days worse nightmare when united played at home all the visiting fans got in there some caused magor caos