Yet another shooting in Sheffield 16th September

oh, I was half-hoping it were fireworks that we heard late yesterday morning. I can’t stand fireworks, but they’re preferable to a shooting :roll:

It also explains the half-dozen or so BMW X5 ARVs too . . .

The government need to adjust the punishments handed out to these criminals.

5 years in prison for anybody caught with a knife or gun. A proper 5 years in prison and none of this half sentence nonsense.

Anyone who has used a knife or gun should be given a 10 year sentence.

The softly softly approach needs to end. We need more stop and searches.

5 years in prison for anybody caught with a knife or gun. A proper 5 years in prison and none of this half sentence nonsense.

I agree, but set the tariffs higher, a proper 10 years if caught with knife or gun, anyone who has used a knife or gun, a proper 15 years.

Angel1

Current maximum sentence from magistrates for possession of a "bladed article" is 4 years.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/bladed-articles-and-offensive-weapons-possession/

Sentencing guidelines for using a firearm are here: https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/firearms

If you're saying 10 years, you're more lenient then the current state of the law. Mandatory minimum sentences apply in some cases.

Use of firearm to resist arrest - maximum life imprisonment

Possession while committing offence - max life imprisonment

Possession with intent - max life

Carrying in public - 7 years

Knives etc: https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/offensive-weapons-knives-bladed-and-pointed-articles

Stop and search cannot be random under the current law (except in certain circumstances), which is a good thing because it has always been widely abused by the police. There have to be reasonable grounds.

According to https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/658099/police-powers-procedures-mar17-hosb2017.pdf

there were nearly 304,000 stop and searches in the year up to March 2017, which is a reduction.

How effective are they?

Just 17% led to an arrest. But on another measure, in 21% of stop and searches "the outcome of the search was linked to the initial reason for the search." So not always an arrestable outcome.

But that means in the vast majority of stop and search incidents, the outcome was not linked to the reason for the stop, and in most cases leads to no arrest.

In 71% of cases the result was "no further action".

There was an non-arrest outcome in 12% of cases. Not sure what that means, but maybe indicates some kind of case to answer even if not arrestable.

So it doesn't seem that effective really.

Stop and search cannot be random under the current law (except in certain circumstances), which is a good thing because it has always been widely abused by the police.

Do you actually know that the police have abused it, or just jumping on media reports? Maybe the police are just trying their best to do the right thing for the law abiding public?

---------- Post added 18-10-2018 at 08:34 ----------

Just 17% led to an arrest.

That isn't really relevant. The grounds for search might have been met, but maybe the suspect threw the knife down just as the police turned up, meaning nothing was found? In that case the grounds were there, and the cop did the right thing, but without any result, so it goes recored as useless search.

Edited by WarPig

one poster on here claimed to have been mugged and it was drug related ..how was that conclusio reached i wonder?

odd really how people can say these shootings are drug related.

by implication then those involved were

drug dealers ... not locked up

drug dealers with guns ... not locked up

i have long thought that other big sensational busts apart the police have no interest in illigal drug dealing or their illegal use

now it seems the drug dealears are in the process of removing the competition well at least that wil be a few less to worry about.

Of course its only a good thing if they are killing each other in a responsible manner and not endangering people who are not involved.

Perhaps it all this pointless talking about and publicity given in the various forms of the uk's media and forums to the shootings in the united states that is encouraging our own young people to emulate them.

one poster on here claimed to have been mugged and it was drug related ..how was that conclusio reached i wonder?

odd really how people can say these shootings are drug related.

by implication then those involved were

drug dealers ... not locked up

drug dealers with guns ... not locked up

i have long thought that other big sensational busts apart the police have no interest in illigal drug dealing or their illegal use

now it seems the drug dealears are in the process of removing the competition well at least that wil be a few less to worry about.

Of course its only a good thing if they are killing each other in a responsible manner and not endangering people who are not involved.

Perhaps it all this pointless talking about and publicity given in the various forms of the uk's media and forums to the shootings in the united states that is encouraging our own young people to emulate them.

Try telling that to the mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, brothers and sons left behind.

I agree, but set the tariffs higher, a proper 10 years if caught with knife or gun, anyone who has used a knife or gun, a proper 15 years.

Current maximum sentence from magistrates for possession of a "bladed article" is 4 years...

And, whilst they're at it, let the sentence pronounced be the sentence to serve (i.e. no '50% off' bargain offers)- even if this involves the sentence pronounced being a lower figure.

Try telling that to the mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, brothers and sons left behind.

to be clear if you are saying that ...you want me to tell all those you listed that drug related gang members killing other drug related gang members is doing the rest of us favour.

sure why not.. its true..

i'll even tell their sons twice seeing as you asked....

some off your list might not like it but if they knew those that died were in drug related gangs then perhaps they should have done something about that before they were killed.

i don't see you being overly concerned about these gangs making drugs more readily available to people that are too young and too ignorant to make informed decisions about using drugs and die as a consequence. Is that ok in your wierd world? I only ask as you don't mention it.

i also have heard nothing and you mentioned nothing from those

... mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, brothers and sons left behind.

about how upset they were that their friends or family members were selling illegal drugs, not knowing exactly what they were to children.

drug related gang members, drug pushers they know and choose to accept the risks when they try to emulate their american heroes..

to be clear if you are saying that ...you want me to tell all those you listed that drug related gang members killing other drug related gang members is doing the rest of us favour.

sure why not.. its true..

i'll even tell their sons twice seeing as you asked....

some off your list might not like it but if they knew those that died were in drug related gangs then perhaps they should have done something about that before they were killed.

i don't see you being overly concerned about these gangs making drugs more readily available to people that are too young and too ignorant to make informed decisions about using drugs and die as a consequence. Is that ok in your wierd world? I only ask as you don't mention it.

i also have heard nothing and you mentioned nothing from those

about how upset they were that their friends or family members were selling illegal drugs, not knowing exactly what they were to children.

drug related gang members, drug pushers they know and choose to accept the risks when they try to emulate their american heroes..

Well said.

And, whilst they're at it, let the sentence pronounced be the sentence to serve (i.e. no '50% off' bargain offers)- even if this involves the sentence pronounced being a lower figure.
Hard labour is the only thing that will break the aggressive spirit that many enter into prison with, not long sentences!.........long sentences help no one, not the prisoner or the tax payer!.......idleness is a modern day curse!