Grass Verge need cutting - Sheffield Council

I think the council should be grateful that these residents are keeping the area looking nice. There's to many people dumping rubbish all over the place and making Sheffield look like a dump. Its nice to hear about someone having a bit of respect for where they live and being bothered to keep it looking nice. Its a shame other people living in Sheffield don't take a leaf out of their book. I know there are a lot of people who keep verges clean and tidy when its not their responsibility to do so but what does having a bit of respect hurt.

[devil'sadvocate] If the verge belongs to the council then the homeowners shouldn't have planted there..why should the council pay for removal?[/devil'sadvocate]

A fair point.

I would say that if this is the case, then it is a speculative attempt by the council to pass the cost on to the homeowners. It would be almost impossible to recover legally, especially as the planting has been done for over twenty years and as far as we know, the council has never asked them to remove the planting in the past.

From photos I've seen of it, it looks like one side of the road is the couple's front garden and the other is the highway verge.

Very slow cutting Grass Verge this year S6 area , some places 3ft high

Ive cut mine myself twice in last few week -I don't mind doing it .

But wondering if Sheffield council not bothering or is it cause they cut there work force -any other areas not done ??

Shocking Sheffield city council, its been so warm so the grass is still growing and needs cutting

Guest makapaka

If you look on street view it’s next to nothing in terms of area - so;

1. You would question why the council are bothered in the first place.

2. The impact of removing the plants is not the catastrophe the people are making out in the star with talks of impact on wider society / bees / barn owls etc.

The council say: "Unfortunately the placing of flower beds, as well as stones and water barrels, on the highway outside the property, could be a danger to other road users."

The council seem to think they always know best, if the area has been like it for years then I assume they have a list of accidents that back up their claims that it is dangerous and it is necessary to clear the area. Are the council going to widen the road if it is all cleared or just leave it as grass that I bet they will never cut?

Guest makapaka

Radio sheffield reported the council have now backed down from their decision.

Radio sheffield reported the council have now backed down from their decision.

Because the original course of action was just outrageous

Because the original course of action was just outrageous

Ill thought out maybe, but outrageous? :suspect:

I paid someone to tarmac all the grass verges around my property. Best few hundred quid I've ever spent.

I believe the council had one complaint about the flowers that had been planted on this lane, me thinks someone has it in for these residents.