Down Broadway, High Street

Hi Tash,

I walked past the site of DB yesterday and the memories flooded back.

Was too young to go to the MOJO but looked forward all week to Sat nights at DB. I recall often standing outside chilled to the bone in winter waiting for

Stringfellow to open the place up.

I remember it was often the middle of the week before I could hear properly again.

great days

Chris

Does anyone remember the Golden Egg at the top of Fargate? It was much posher than Wimpey.

Hi, just read your post about Down Broadway,I first went there with a pal of mine 1969,We were not Towny,s at the time,and of course we were picked on by a gang of lads,fortunatley for me I found out i was good at scrapping and made my self a hero that night,thanks Dad !.Any way my mate was not and he ran off,and never went back,where as I loved it and must have attended there solidly for a year I guess.I had a new group of mates and became a Towny !I saw Several acts there my favourite was Arthur Conley.I remember Pete Stringfellow as he popped in from time to time,one of his main DJ,s at the time was Pat Sweetwater,anybody remember him ? cheers for now.

Did this place not evolve into Crazy Daisies in the mid 70's.

No The Crazy Daisy was farther up towards the Star offices. It later became the Geisha Bar and they did have a piano player.

Edited by mickyboy

No The Crazy Daisy was farther up towards the Star offices. It later became the Geisha Bar and they did have a piano player.

Didn't the Crazy Daisy have a slightly different spelling than what I just wrote, like a Z in the Daisy bit ?

---------- Post added 13-10-2018 at 01:27 ----------

Did this place not evolve into Crazy Daisies in the mid 70's.

Down Broadway was in the basement of a shoe shop a few doors to the right of the entrance to the Old Blue Bell. There were two shoe shops near to each other, Manfield and Stylo, not sure which one it was. Puzzled me at the time how a functioning shoe shop had a basement to spare.

Didn't the Crazy Daisy have a slightly different spelling than what I just wrote, like a Z in the Daisy bit ?

Down Broadway was in the basement of a shoe shop a few doors to the right of the entrance to the Old Blue Bell. There were two shoe shops near to each other, Manfield and Stylo, not sure which one it was. Puzzled me at the time how a functioning shoe shop had a basement to spare.

You are right about the Z, it was Daizies, I originally spelt it that way but my spell checker corrected me, and I let it. :roll:

Does anyone remember the Golden Egg at the top of Fargate? It was much posher than Wimpey.

Yes I do often went in there

---------- Post added 15-10-2018 at 16:15 ----------

Hi, just read your post about Down Broadway,I first went there with a pal of mine 1969,We were not Towny,s at the time,and of course we were picked on by a gang of lads,fortunatley for me I found out i was good at scrapping and made my self a hero that night,thanks Dad !.Any way my mate was not and he ran off,and never went back,where as I loved it and must have attended there solidly for a year I guess.I had a new group of mates and became a Towny !I saw Several acts there my favourite was Arthur Conley.I remember Pete Stringfellow as he popped in from time to time,one of his main DJ,s at the time was Pat Sweetwater,anybody remember him ? cheers for now.

Yes I remember him

---------- Post added 15-10-2018 at 16:16 ----------

It was underneath Stylo

Worked as a DJ at Silver Blades. Went for an Audition with Stringy at Down Broadway was impressed as him as a DJ but security was shambolic. Fighting broke out in the toilets then moves to the dance floor and the mirrors at the back were covered in blood. They were then ejected to which the club emptied so they could get a better view from the upper decks of the buses parked in the High Street. Did not get the job wasn't interested.

Down Broadway High Street Sheffield 1969-1971 would like to here from anyone who frequented the place.

Edited by Soulman 53
spelling mistake

Great place great nights

Great people

Remember Steve varns dick  foden ian wright Chris skelton

The james Ricky and his brother maggie and her two sisters all who lived on park hill.   Carolyn Carr who lived at a pub at  totley and later married kevin burns. Claire. Sue and loads more

Great music great groups

Getting hammered at 'll the pubs close by and going to other clubs later

On 23/10/2008 at 13:22, pfn1 said:

Hi Folks,

Check out the recent Forum thread about a new Mojo book. Its about local Pop Art painted in some of Sheffields clubs in the 60s, including the Broadway. I did some of those paintings, Broadway included.

There is a book signing with all three authors including Peter Stringfellow on Nov 3 at Trippetts wine bar from 7.30 onwards.

Yes, the Broadway was amazingly small, and certainly was not the Mojo, but I did get some really good nights there. Incidentally, really good soul (now known as Northern) Ska, Blue Beat and Reggae had all regularly been played at the Mojo, so those sounds you heard at the Broadway were just continuing the that ideal.

do you know my uncle bryan who run down broadway ? my mum worked there too carol bryans sister i remember being in the office when my mum was working im 56 this year my mum had a painting its on the other side of the sign of down broadway it blue a siloette of a naked lady in blue my brother has it now .