Sheffield Forum

Sheffield gains most from overseas students.

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

12-01-2018, 21:46   #41
Penistone999

Total Posts: 8,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by melthebell View Post
dont worry all of britain will be in that secluded room soon
We managed to survive before the EU came along, and im sure we will manage just nicely now.
12-01-2018, 21:50   #42
area 51

Total Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Voting brexit definitely has a wiff of xenophobia to it, that and outright idiocy.
Are you one of those people who thinks that anybody who votes differently to you is an idiot.
12-01-2018, 22:01   #43
Fogey

Total Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by area 51 View Post
As i said ,would you call Sol Campbell a racist.
Xenophobe. He could of course be a racist, he could also be ignorant.

---------- Post added 12-01-2018 at 22:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penistone999 View Post
We managed to survive before the EU came along, and im sure we will manage just nicely now.
We managed to survive before man discovered fire. It doesn’t follow that we would be better off without it though does it.
_______
Trust me, I'm a Professional.
12-01-2018, 22:12   #44
Arthur Ritus

Total Posts: 279
All these people we are teaching to fish instead of selling fish to, they will soon be teaching one another to fish so both industries are lost in the uk.

Its even worst as many university students work with companies like Rolls-Royce, they take their development back home, already there is a growing jet turbine industry in china. RR can try to put up a "great fire-wall of china" to try to protect their development and which will no doubt reduce their university sponsorship.

As a business they will try to survive by investing in Chinese companies but that's just a financial thing, money for the Blairs and Brown types and their mates, no real jobs in uk.

Enjoy while it lasts.
_______
The truth I only wish, are all fishermen liars or do all liars fish?
12-01-2018, 22:14   #45
Fogey

Total Posts: 1,327
Quote:
If you must, but remember the majority had the say over the minority.Remainers should vent their anger at David Cameron for giving us horrible working class thicko's a vote.Perhaps you would prefer us to go back to the Elizabethan times when only noblemen got to vote.
Id prefer for the ignorant to listen to reasoned argument based on facts and truth, rather than the diatribe of misinformation and lies, which encourages them to blame all of lifes woes on easy targets, thus preventing them from realising the true culprits responsible for their ongoing exploitation and misery.
_______
Trust me, I'm a Professional.
12-01-2018, 22:24   #46
area 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
Id prefer for the ignorant to listen to reasoned argument based on facts and truth, rather than the diatribe of misinformation and lies, which encourages them to blame all of lifes woes on easy targets, thus preventing them from realising the true culprits responsible for their ongoing exploitation and misery.
Come on then enlighten me,who are the true culprits.
13-01-2018, 10:12   #47
Cyclone

Total Posts: 70,628
The true culprits for spreading lies and misinformation? Well, you'd have to look at the leave campaign and the right wing press primarily wouldn't you.

---------- Post added 13-01-2018 at 10:13 ----------

Quote:
Are you one of those people who thinks that anybody who votes differently to you is an idiot.
I think that 50% of the population are of below average intelligence.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
13-01-2018, 16:17   #48
apelike

Total Posts: 4,096
Quote:
The true culprits for spreading lies and misinformation? Well, you'd have to look at the leave campaign and the right wing press primarily wouldn't you.
You missed out the remain lies in that summary.

Quote:
How did you come to that guess, and just how do you measure the average intelligence of a population?
_______
As only 34.7% of the electorate actually voted to remain we will be Going, going gone soon
13-01-2018, 16:26   #49
shanes teeth

Total Posts: 6,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by apelike View Post

How did you come to that guess, and just how do you measure the average intelligence of a population?
You present them with a referendum to vote on and the results are revealed!
13-01-2018, 17:00   #50
Arthur Ritus

Quote:

Depends on the type of "average" you are talking about. Make a list, start with the most intelligent at one end and least at the other, draw a line in the middle as the average and there will be 50% on each side.
_______
13-01-2018, 18:26   #51
kaytie

Total Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Ritus View Post
Depends on the type of "average" you are talking about. Make a list, start with the most intelligent at one end and least at the other, draw a line in the middle as the average and there will be 50% on each side.
That's a 'mean average ' if I recall my stats course correctly.
13-01-2018, 19:22   #52
apelike

Total Posts: 4,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Ritus View Post
I gather that but has any survey been done to find out the statistics. I don't think the last census included any stats on the intelligence? of people, education yes. As we can see on SF that does not necessarily equate to intelligence.
_______
As only 34.7% of the electorate actually voted to remain we will be Going, going gone soon
13-01-2018, 19:37   #53
area 51

Quote:

I assume that you think your in the half that is intelligent because you probably have a degree.I hear time and again especially from snotty nosed young students who think that if you have not been to uni that you are an amoeba that's just crawled out of a pond and are surprised that we can actually look after ourselves.A lot of the working class have a reasonable intelligence,i left school with plenty of O levels but back then you also needed to stay on and get A levels.I needed to get a job to do my bit for the household so i did not stay on at school.

Last edited by area 51; 13-01-2018 at 19:41.
13-01-2018, 19:41   #54
Arthur Ritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytie View Post
That's a 'mean average ' if I recall my stats course correctly.
Not median average?
_______
13-01-2018, 19:49   #55
area 51

I assume that Fogey is going to tell me who the real culprits are at some point,if i am such a thicko then he really needs to put me on the right track with his superior intelligence.I read about quantum physics and watch all my favourite science programmes but i am obviously a complete dumpling because i voted to leave.You have to laugh.
14-01-2018, 09:34   #56
Cyclone

Total Posts: 70,628
Have you read about the disastrous effects that brexit is already having on science and research in the UK?

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 09:35 ----------

Quote:
I assume that you think your in the half that is intelligent because you probably have a degree.I hear time and again especially from snotty nosed young students who think that if you have not been to uni that you are an amoeba that's just crawled out of a pond and are surprised that we can actually look after ourselves.A lot of the working class have a reasonable intelligence,i left school with plenty of O levels but back then you also needed to stay on and get A levels.I needed to get a job to do my bit for the household so i did not stay on at school.
I assume that I'm in the top 10% actually, although you really have to start asking "what is intelligence?" and "how do we measure that?"

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 09:37 ----------

Quote:

Hilarious.
By definition 50% of anything measured is below the average and 50% is above. That's pretty much what the word average means.
And yes, we're talking about the mean, unless specified 'average' means mean, not mode or median.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
14-01-2018, 10:09   #57
pss60

Total Posts: 173
Quote:

George Carlin pointed that out when he said "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that".
14-01-2018, 10:33   #58
kaytie

Total Posts: 412
Isn't 'median' the half of the sum of all the scores? Or have I got them the wrong way around?
14-01-2018, 12:00   #59
pss60

Total Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytie View Post
Isn't 'median' the half of the sum of all the scores? Or have I got them the wrong way around?
The median is the person exactly halfway up, like 5th out of nine or 10 on whatever measure you care to use, whether wage, I.Q, age etc. Very often, its not the average and usually its below the average, especially when it comes to wage earners.

Last edited by pss60; 14-01-2018 at 12:04.
14-01-2018, 12:08   #60
BHRemovals

Total Posts: 2,515
we should all go the extra mile and make them as welcome as possible.
_______
Man and Van in Sheffield
Phone: 0114 2660829 — 07920 223518
Email: contact@broomhillremovals.com
Reply To Topic