Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Sheffield gains most from overseas students.

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

11-01-2018, 11:54   #1
Annie Bynnol

Total Posts: 2,248
Sheffield is the biggest beneficiary from overseas students in proportion to its economy.
Sheffield Central constituency benefits most in the country at 226 million.

Higher Education Policy Institute.

Apologies for mispelling 'overseas' in the title.

Last edited by Annie Bynnol; 11-01-2018 at 12:09.
11-01-2018, 13:43   #2
L00b

Total Posts: 17,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Bynnol View Post
Sheffield is the biggest beneficiary from overseas students in proportion to its economy.
Sheffield Central constituency benefits most in the country at 226 million.

Higher Education Policy Institute.

Apologies for mispelling 'overseas' in the title.
Too bad the referendum and the government's handling of it frightened them off, and the government is busy adding insult to injury.

In that context, Sheffield's pro-Brexit overall vote reminds me of all these Sunderland car makers, Grimsby fishmongers, <etc.> voting for Brexit
_______
I'm not arguing. I'm simply explaining why I'm right.
11-01-2018, 13:56   #3
pss60

Total Posts: 173
B-b-but Farage, Johnson and the rest of the crazy xenophobic Brexiteers don't want them here.

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 13:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00b View Post
Too bad the referendum and the government's handling of it frightened them off, and the government is busy adding insult to injury.

In that context, Sheffield's pro-Brexit overall vote reminds me of all these Sunderland car makers, Grimsby fishmongers, <etc.> voting for Brexit
Look who essentially voted for Brexit - the elderly and those without academic qualifications - a bitter cocktail of xenophobia and envy with mind-blowing stupidity thrown in for good measure.

Last edited by pss60; 11-01-2018 at 13:59.
11-01-2018, 14:03   #4
L00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pss60 View Post
Look who essentially voted for Brexit - the elderly and those without academic qualifications - a bitter cocktail of xenophobia and envy with mind-blowing stupidity thrown in for good measure.
For your reading pleasure, and very topical: Sheffield's referendum results explain why Britain voted for Brexit (2016 article, "Sheffield graduate population vs wider region working class population")
_______

Last edited by L00b; 11-01-2018 at 14:06.
11-01-2018, 14:08   #5
Dan_Ashcroft

Total Posts: 2,014
Quote:

That's not true actually.

EU students pay UK-level fees. Non-EU students pay much more. As numbers are capped, the more non-EU students universities get at the expense of EU ones, the more money they get. It's why all the foreign students here are already mostly Chinese, Malaysian and American. EU students are poor value, so for a good decade or so there's been disincentives against trying to recruit them.

The more places freed up for RoW students, the more money comes into the city
_______
Here is the paradox: the Victorians built for profit and created communities, while now the planners build for a caring society and create ghettos.
11-01-2018, 14:12   #6
apelike

Total Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Too bad the referendum and the government's handling of it frightened them off
But as this is about Sheffield Universities students this bit needs pointing out:

"The University of Sheffield – a member of the Russell Group – said it has managed to buck the post-Brexit trend in recruiting EU students. It expects to see an increase in applications from the EU, after putting in extra effort through the networks it has built up around Europe."
_______
As only 34.7% of the electorate actually voted to remain we will be Going, going gone soon
11-01-2018, 14:15   #7
L00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Ashcroft View Post
That's not true actually.

EU students pay UK-level fees. Non-EU students pay much more. As numbers are capped, the more non-EU students universities get at the expense of EU ones, the more money they get. It's why all the foreign students here are already mostly Chinese, Malaysian and American. EU students are poor value, so for a good decade or so there's been disincentives against trying to recruit them.

The more places freed up for RoW students, the more money comes into the city
Numbers haven't been capped since 2015, and the pre-referendum trend (as mentioned in the article, and independently quoted by apelike above) was one of year-on-year increase, notwithstanding any such 'disincentives'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apelike View Post
But as this is about Sheffield Universities students this bit needs pointing out:

"The University of Sheffield – a member of the Russell Group – said it has managed to buck the post-Brexit trend in recruiting EU students. It expects to see an increase in applications from the EU, after putting in extra effort through the networks it has built up around Europe."
Trust you to try and refocus on the front tree, instead of the background forest

Must have been the 'Brexit' mention, that thread has gone very quiet.

PS: How did Phil and David's most excellent adventure in Germany go, yesterday?
_______

Last edited by L00b; 11-01-2018 at 14:25.
11-01-2018, 14:47   #8
pss60

Total Posts: 173
Quote:
For your reading pleasure, and very topical: Sheffield's referendum results explain why Britain voted for Brexit (2016 article, "Sheffield graduate population vs wider region working class population")
And Brexit areas will pay dearly for this. No more investment from Europe and ever-deeper cuts to pay the massive bill for Brexit - and it won't just be the 40 billion so far - that is only the first downpayment. Subsequent downpayments will take that towards 200 billion - to be paid by today's youngsters over a number of years. On top of that, there is Brexit shaving 1% off the growth figures over the next six or so years.
11-01-2018, 15:35   #9
monkey104

Total Posts: 3,641
Quote:

Wow! I have purposely not read any of your posts for awhile due to your bitter recriminations.
It would seem you are still carrying a hatred for the majority of the voting members of the UK.
Pherhaps a little holiday from Social media in a secluded room may help.
11-01-2018, 15:49   #10
Dan_Ashcroft

Total Posts: 2,014
Quote:

Sheffield has an arms-length campus at Thessaloniki (http://citycollege.sheffield.eu). That PR spin just means that that's growing within Greece.

There are a few Irish students around, but has anyone come across any German, French, Italian, Dutch, Spanish etc. students in the last 10-15 years? Compared to the hundreds and hundreds of Chinese, Malaysian, Indian and Americans you meet everywhere.
_______
Here is the paradox: the Victorians built for profit and created communities, while now the planners build for a caring society and create ghettos.
11-01-2018, 16:05   #11
melthebell
*gets coat*

Total Posts: 58,249
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey104 View Post
Wow! I have purposely not read any of your posts for awhile due to your bitter recriminations.
It would seem you are still carrying a hatred for the majority of the voting members of the UK.
dont worry all of britain will be in that secluded room soon
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
11-01-2018, 16:06   #12
apelike

Total Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Ashcroft View Post
Sheffield has an arms-length campus at Thessaloniki (http://citycollege.sheffield.eu). That PR spin just means that that's growing within Greece.

There are a few Irish students around, but has anyone come across any German, French, Italian, Dutch, Spanish etc. students in the last 10-15 years? Compared to the hundreds and hundreds of Chinese, Malaysian, Indian and Americans you meet everywhere.
That could possibly be due to the cost of fees. Out of the ones you mention they all have much lower fees with the exception of the Dutch which is relatively high. The UK also has higher fees so will attract those that are willing to pay.

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 16:20 ----------

Quote:
Trust you to try and refocus on the front tree, instead of the background forest

Must have been the 'Brexit' mention, that thread has gone very quiet.
Not surprising as all the doom and gloom merchants have nothing to moan about.
_______
As only 34.7% of the electorate actually voted to remain we will be Going, going gone soon
11-01-2018, 16:27   #13
L00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey104 View Post
My relative absence from SF since the run up to Christmas must have escaped you, then.

Perhaps putting me on your 'ignore' list may help: it will give you the impression that I'm on a permanent holiday, and save you from reading any of my posts
Quote:
Not surprising as all the doom and gloom merchants have nothing to moan about.
Don't tempt me
_______
11-01-2018, 19:10   #14
area 51

Total Posts: 758
Another brexit thread,great.
11-01-2018, 20:10   #15
kaytie

Total Posts: 411
I jus wish someone would teach the Chinese students...
How to cross the road properly
The concept of queuing
How to shop in Tesco without blocking an aisle with your trolley
11-01-2018, 21:45   #16
ANGELFIRE1

Total Posts: 5,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by pss60 View Post
B-b-but Farage, Johnson and the rest of the crazy xenophobic Brexiteers don't want them here.

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 13:57 ----------

Been a Brexiteer I supported UKip and Nigel throughout the whole of the campaign. Never did I hear from Nigel that He or UKip did not want foreign students in either Sheffield or the UK.

I assume that it can be verified that he did actualy say that Students were not welcome in the UK and Sheffield. Or is it just another Remoaner making up their own agenda.

Angel1.
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
11-01-2018, 21:53   #17
hackey lad

Total Posts: 3,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
Been a Brexiteer I supported UKip and Nigel throughout the whole of the campaign. Never did I hear from Nigel that He or UKip did not want foreign students in either Sheffield or the UK.

I assume that it can be verified that he did actualy say that Students were not welcome in the UK and Sheffield. Or is it just another Remoaner making up their own agenda.

Angel1.
Think so and hijacking a thread to make their point
11-01-2018, 22:19   #18
LowCostPoint

Total Posts: 232
I feel that it is those who voted remain who are scaring the students. In particular people like James O'Brien on LBC. He uses these people for his own ends. By scaring them, with fake stories about them not being welcome, it gives him a reason to go on a rant. I've yet to meet anyone who wants students to leave. I voted Brexit but would take students out of the immigration numbers and let them stay after their courses if the skills they have learnt are needed.
11-01-2018, 22:20   #19
Funky_Gibbon

Total Posts: 4,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post

Angel1.
Well he was quoted before the campaign as saying that UKIPs immigration policy was to "accommodate sensible numbers of foreign students" which implies that he didn't think that the numbers coming were sensible.

Regardless of whether there's a direct quote or not it's a bit disingenous to pretend that his/UKIP/Tory (little difference between them) immigration policies as a whole are not interlinked with
the number of foreign students who would want to come here to study. The UK being seen to be less tolerant towards immigrants/foreigners over the past few years and the subsequent reduction in the number of foreign students coming here has gone hand in hand. They're not separate events.

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 22:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCostPoint View Post
I feel that it is those who voted remain who are scaring the students. In particular people like James O'Brien on LBC. He uses these people for his own ends. By scaring them, with fake stories about them not being welcome
Reported hate crimes against foreigners have increased by 29% since the EU Referendum. I'm sure that was all the fault of Remain voters too...
_______
"Psycho Dad. Now with less violence but more kinky sex and nudity for a cleaner, saner America."
11-01-2018, 22:29   #20
LowCostPoint

Total Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Gibbon View Post
Well he was quoted before the campaign as saying that UKIPs immigration policy was to "accommodate sensible numbers of foreign students" which implies that he didn't think that the numbers coming were sensible.

Regardless of whether there's a direct quote or not it's a bit disingenous to pretend that his/UKIP/Tory (little difference between them) immigration policies as a whole are not interlinked with
the number of foreign students who would want to come here to study. The UK being seen to be less tolerant towards immigrants/foreigners over the past few years and the subsequent reduction in the number of foreign students coming here has gone hand in hand. They're not separate events.

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 22:25 ----------

Reported hate crimes against foreigners have increased by 29% since the EU Referendum. I'm sure that was all the fault of Remain voters too...
I don't believe that figure. Its politically motivated..
Reply To Topic