Sheffield Buses Past

This thread is about what we remember about Sheffield Buses...

I bet you all remember the low fares we used to pay on buses, remember 2p and 5p standard rate (showing my age) remember the mechanical ticket machines the conductors used to use to issue the tickets, as a lad I used to try and dodge the 2p fare, more of a challenge than being dishonest! Remember the Videmat! how many buttons went in those then! My dad in the 80's had to buy a car due to them taking away the early morning 'works' buses at the time (we didn't have a car before then)

Do I have to say 'Discuss' :gag:

Slight side step, but still buses (very, very old), and localish

This Sunday at the Tram Museum in Crich there are many old Leyland lorries and busues on display at a special rally.

Amongst them there will be a privately owned collection of 8 really old buses, we are talking about 100 years old......including the world's oldest surviving bus, oldest single and double deckers. Also, what is thought to be the worlds' last remaining true "charabang" from about 1913.

I left Sheffield in '69 so I remember the yellow and blue double deckers. I especially remember the upper deck filled with cigarette smoke. In those days I smoked like a chimney so I was part of the problem. As I look bk, I wonder how anyone could even breathe up there. :gag:

I left Sheffield in '69 so I remember the yellow and blue double deckers. I especially remember the upper deck filled with cigarette smoke. In those days I smoked like a chimney so I was part of the problem. As I look bk, I wonder how anyone could even breathe up there. :gag:

Remember how the nicotine ran down in brown streaks from the ceilings when the weather was damp, I can still smell it now, even after 35 years of last travelling on a Sheffield bus.

I remember that jmdee. As a grammar school kid wearing a school uniform I used to sneak a smoke on the bus, hoping that there were no schoolteachers or prefects around. In those days, the school you went to owned you 24/7 and smoking was strictly forbidden.

The original bendy bus was fascinating as a young lad!

My mdad worked on the buses as a conductor. In the school holidays i used to go with him and operate the doors with a brass handle in the cab up front. I bet i wouldn`t be allowed now what with health and safety. He used to do the bus to a zoo in manchester i think. What was the name now? I think it`s a speedway track now. Anyone help me out.

I also remember when the ticket machine was on the wall where the stairs were, always breaking down so the driver had to get out of his cab to mend it much to his annoyance.

I always remember my dad saying it was a bloody nightmare when he was on the 52 route trying to get all the students fares in a morning when they got on at broomhill. He had to get them all before western bank.

pedro1 ..was it Belle Vue ?????

That`s it matey. Thanks

I remember a machine that you placed your money in and it photo copied the coins then printed a ticket of them. Think you could throw anything in and just hope the inspector didn't get on. That was when the fare were 2p. Also remember the bendy bus being a novelty when it was first put on service, was it the no's 500 & 501, a free service originally?

Remeber the bus that was painted like a loaf of bread, to advertise Fletchers Bakery?

I remember a machine that you placed your money in and it photo copied the coins then printed a ticket of them. Think you could throw anything in and just hope the inspector didn't get on. That was when the fare were 2p. Also remember the bendy bus being a novelty when it was first put on service, was it the no's 500 & 501, a free service originally?

Oooh i`d forgot about the photo copier machine. That didn`t last long did it.

In the late 70`s me and my g`friend (now wife) used to go to town and back for a night out and it only cost us 4p each. Now that was a cheap night out.