3/no hobbies on

4/outs

5/six foot and a gassy

6/drags

7/hit or miss run two

8/around t'lump

9/mardy

10/a face as long as Norfolk Street

nope. I could tell you where Ayup comes from tho.

don't quote me on this, but i read that it comes from an old Viking term, to watch out. It was seen as quite aggressive, but now its just a greeting.

It relates back to the Viking invasions etc.

Does anyone know the origin of:

1/corsey edge

2/lamass

3/no hobbies on

4/outs

5/six foot and a gassy

6/drags

7/hit or miss run two

8/around t'lump

9/mardy

Only some

1 Causeway edge (pavement edge)

5 Very tall 6 feet and a gas lamp (old form of street lamp)

8 Heeley phrase this one, round the block you would say these days, originating from the weird layout of streets in between Artisan View and Well road

9 Mardy, presumably from the tyrant Known as the Mahdi, well known for sulking and cutting peoples heads off.

10 Norfolk steet used to be the longest road in Sheffield going from Pond street to the bottom of the Moor

9/mardy

Of course, the great thing about "Mardy" is that it is now immortalised in song by the Arctic Monkeys, so kids in USA, Australia and Japan will be asking the question "What on earth is a Mardy Bum?"

I was well into my twenties and serving with HM Forces before I realised it wasn't a proper word. I accused one of my colleagues of being a "Mardy Arse" and receieved some very strange looks indeed. I still think, however, that it should be a real word, as no other phrase quite grasps its meaning.

1/corsey edge

2/lamass

3/no hobbies on

4/outs

5/six foot and a gassy

6/drags

7/hit or miss run two

8/around t'lump

9/mardy

1-Kerbstone, my mum used to say "giorr walking ont corsey edge" dont know where it originates from

3- no hobbies on, were hobbies clogs?

8- we used to ride our bikes round t lump in shiregreen, its just a course if you like round streets close together, starting and finishing at the same place, so anywhere could be t lump

9- Mardy, i think this is derived from an old english word, means miserable i suppose.

anyone know why we call the mantlepeice a cornish?

• Like 1

anyone know why we call the mantlepeice a cornish?

French word 'corniche', pronounced in English cornish.

It is a road on the egde of a cliff, so a mantlepiece looked like one on the old yorkshire ranges.

1/corsey edge

2/lamass

3/no hobbies on

4/outs

5/six foot and a gassy

6/drags

7/hit or miss run two

8/around t'lump

9/mardy

Number 7.

I think this was used to settle any disputes when the kids played cricket in the street.

If there was an argument about whether you were out or not or some other dispute you would say "Hit or miss ,run two"

Meaning what ever you did when you were bowled to you had to get two runs. If you were successful you stayed in if you were not you were out

Number 7.

I think this was used to settle any disputes when the kids played cricket in the street.

If there was an argument about whether you were out or not or some other dispute you would say "Hit or miss ,run two"

Meaning what ever you did when you were bowled to you had to get two runs. If you were successful you stayed in if you were not you were out

Not realy just a Sheff thing, but I saw the other night of the meaning of

when someone says to you "Sleep Tight" anyone know?

Not realy just a Sheff thing, but I saw the other night of the meaning of

when someone says to you "Sleep Tight" anyone know?

nope - i wanna know tho'

nope - i wanna know tho'

Year back before bed springs were used, they used rope, looped from one side of the bed to the other, then placed the mattress on top, the rope would loosen up after so long so it had to be tightened up now and then.

Sleep Tight!

Number 7.

Correct so generally speaking it means [what ever happens one cannot do much to alter things]