Firshill school

I remember all these people, Mrs middleton had a son in my year called James and there was a real scary sports teacher with really big eyes called Mr Orange. I got the slipper for refusing to do "country dancing" cos it was raining when we should have been outside playing football. Mr Woodcock Slippered me (didn't hurt a bit, honest) and i also had a board rubber thrown at me by the very grumpy (and hairy) Mr selby. Lisa Evans was my first girlfriend and you could make drystone walls out of the flapjack. Good times.

Edited by Lee Warris
bad English

I was there in the 40's. The teachers I remember were Miss Humphries (headmistress), Mr. Sims, Miss Yates and Miss Bacon.

Hi PhilBob, I am studying my family tree and have photos of my family going back to the early 1900's. In there I have a class photo taken in Mar 1959 at Firs Hill School. In it is my Aunt Barbara Orvice. Have you got this photo, do you want me to scan it? What was the article in the Sheffield Star about and when was it published?

Hi CorsetClaire,

Thanks you for your kind offer, yes I would like a copy if possible.

:). I remember you Aunt as she was my dance partner.

I went to Burngreave secondary school 1958-62 but didn't come across many kids from Firshill juniors who would have 'advanced' to there if they didn't pass 11 plus. Were a lot of them academically smart and did go on to Grammar schools or there just wasn't that many of them? Apart from the adjacent Scott Road/Osgathorpe Road vicinity, what was the catchment area for Firshill as other junior schools in Pitsmoor were Pye Bank. Ellesmere and All Saints?

I was at Firshill 1957 -63, like Ray French, then went on to Hinde House. I remember being taken to the Northern General in Mr Robinsons bubble car after breaking my wrist falling over playing football in the school yard. I think I would have had a claim these days.

I was at Firshill School from 51 to 57 and remember Mr Sims being our form teacher, my best friend was Alan Mason who emigrated to Australia about 1953. I seem to remember Mr Sims reminiscing about his time in the war during lessons which were very illuminating for a young lad. I too did part of the Scott Road walk, from Abbeyfield road where my grandparents lived. I remember if you were late you ended up trying to get through the Da La Salle lads who were much older, going to their college on Scott Road. I als met my first unrequited love, I believe it was Pauline Stevenson but lost touch when I went to Firth Park grammar school.

On 23/11/2007 at 16:48, samishere said:

has anyone any history on firshill school? i work here and sometimes when im alone i get an eerie feeling and have heard rumours about ghost that haunt the place..ive had children saying they seen ghosts in and around the school and even members of staff saying strange things has happened whilst they're working... would love to know of any history or anything similar happening within the school...thanks

I was the captain of Firs Hill school in 1949 and my Queen was a girl called Margaret Wheeler. 

My name is Ron Hersey. 

One of my weekly jobs was to fetch the order of meat for the headmistress from the local butchers. 

I received 2 old pence for this errand. 

My email address is [email protected]

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/local-area-history/Firshill.pdf

History of the school/area here 

Firs Hill Junior School, Firs Hill Schools 1893 - 1993: A Hundred years in the life of a school campus (Sheffield Hallam University, 1993) (Sheffield Local Studies Library: 372.94274 S)

I attended Firs Hill primary school in 1949, my name is Ron Hersey and I would be delighted to hear from anyone who remembers me.

Although there may not be too many alive now as I am 78 years old. 

I was captain of the school that year and my Queen was a girl called Margaret Wheeler.

One of my jobs as captain was to go to the local butchers shop every Friday and collect a meat order for the headmistress, Miss Frith.

I was given 2 old pence as my reward. I only lived about 100 yards from the school on Roe Lane.

15 minutes ago, ron hersey said:

I attended Firs Hill primary school in 1949, my name is Ron Hersey and I would be delighted to hear from anyone who remembers me.

Although there may not be too many alive now as I am 78 years old. 

I was captain of the school that year and my Queen was a girl called Margaret Wheeler.

One of my jobs as captain was to go to the local butchers shop every Friday and collect a meat order for the headmistress, Miss Frith.

I was given 2 old pence as my reward. I only lived about 100 yards from the school on Roe Lane.

Did you fish in the seven ponds?

18 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Did you fish in the seven ponds?

Yes regularly,

I once cut my wrist very badly at pond no 1, skimming pebbles and glass across the water.